shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#273163 - 07/08/03 06:17 PM stock in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey, i bought a new X in cali, and i am going to be in amherst, ma at school for the winters, i do like off roading and such, but i have my stock tires. what i am wondering is, will they handle the snow alright? or would you recommend going out and getting some BFG AT's? my only problem with doing that is that these tires are almost brand new (3000 miles)..

any advise?

conor

#273164 - 07/08/03 06:59 PM Re: stock in the snow
XChosen Offline

Loc: Mustang, OK
We just had a similiar discussion in this thread.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=001679

check it out and see if that helps.

#273165 - 07/08/03 08:14 PM Re: stock in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in Colorado and we delt with snow on our 2000 for 2 years on stock tires. They work fine unless it's gets deep. Just keep the speed up in the deep stuff. We did finally get some snow specific tires, (not studded) and they are the s""""! I need to remind myself I'm on snow they stick so well. Any tire like the Blizack will do, but we baught the yokahama ones.
Enjoy

#273166 - 07/08/03 08:24 PM Re: stock in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi
No one know snow like we have here in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. I have the stock tires last year they do fine on the street but if you take it off road into deep stuff, you will be stuck. I brought the Yokohama Geolander AT+II, and hope it will help me this winter.

#273167 - 07/08/03 08:46 PM Re: stock in the snow
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by joeduong:
Hi
No one know snow like we have here in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. I have the stock tires last year they do fine on the street but if you take it off road into deep stuff, you will be stuck. I brought the Yokohama Geolander AT+II, and hope it will help me this winter.
Oh TRUST me, we do know snow cool
For you - deep is offroad. For us - deep is on-road...

anyway

Boognight - -if you can afford winter tires - get them. No matter what you heard - specific season tires will always do better. If you cant afford seasonal tires, or wont - stick with decent all-season. If you got Long Trail as stock - then you more or less ok. If you got General Grabbers - change them. That might save your life one day.

#273168 - 07/08/03 09:11 PM Re: stock in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

why change general grabbers? you kinda scared me when i saw that, thats what i have...

whats the dealio?

#273169 - 07/08/03 09:47 PM Re: stock in the snow
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
Uzbad is talking about how the grabbers are soft. Great for a caddy-type ride

I had the stock grabbers in snow here in Wisconsin. They performed well, better than I though they would. I have a rather large field we wheel in the winter. 14 inches of snow and two foot snow berms created by plows, they kept going. Also never got it stuck. IMHO, keep them till you get stuck or wear them out. Slush and mud they are terrible.

Hope this helps, Dan

#273170 - 08/08/03 07:03 AM Re: stock in the snow
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Yup, excelagator correctly got it - slushy slush - and pop goes the weasel. And most of winter roads, unless you offroading arent exactly nice and crunchy deep snow.

So like i said - if you can afford it - just grab new winter set. I havent been in MA at winter ever, only at summer, but judging from proximity to ocean and how it felt in summer...

Anyway - its just my experience from past life in Siberia and current life in CO. Dunno about most of places, but you cant get out of my driveway in winter, unless you switching to 4wd (unless there is no snow whatsoever). And you seriously dont want to drive to my place from general level of Durango (we live in community above town) right after, or during, any snowfall. As all roads are steep enough to make you wish for 4wd, winter tires or at least studs, unless you fancy slippering off, back or some other awkward way, from road.

So i am all for season tires cool . When i could get set of rims to put them on frown

#273171 - 08/08/03 08:25 AM Re: stock in the snow
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I don't think Amherst, MA is the sort of place where you would actually need to invest in seasonal tires. Just get a set of decent AT tires and you'll get around just dandy. My BFG ATs had me going last winter in a foot and a half of snow shuttling hospital staff around just fine, and I'm going to get over 65,000 miles out of 'em by the time they get replaced this fall.

Check around and find a shop that will give you some decent $ for your current tires, you ought to be able to fetch a couple hundred for 'em.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#273172 - 14/08/03 06:53 AM Re: stock in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

well I'm from westfield ma which is two towns over from amherst. congrats on choosing Umass amherst by the way. I went there myself back a few years ago, it's a great school lots of fun and partying await you my friend. as far as winters are concerned don't worry about it. as long as you have 4wd you should be fine. just use your head and remember you are on snow and you won't have a problem. snow on the roads is not an everyday thing around here. we get a storm maybe once a week at the most. the plows and sanders go out and all is well. I have the grabbers too and they actually work great on hard packed snow which is what you usually drive on during a storm. from the other people I have talked to from cali that went to umass your biggest problem will be clothes! get some warm stuff, you guys have thin blood or something. sorry for the long post but I thought I could be of some assistance. if there is anything else I can help you with just let me know...

#273173 - 14/08/03 12:33 PM Re: stock in the snow
cbx Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
I drove my rig through a huge storm in the sierras on my way to tahoe...they closed the highway about ten minutes after letting us through...I had a set of pretty worn grabbers on my rig at the time and they did just fine...in fact, I was quite impressed how sure footed it was in the snow. I think you'll be fine.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal