shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#274381 - 19/06/07 03:13 PM Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Didn't know where to post this, figured since it provided clearance for bigger tires this was as good a place as any.

Several people asked me to post up more details about my tube fender mod. So here are some pictures and a few details.

Here you can see the overall look of the fenders. I cut the OEM fenders about 1/4 below the crease which defines the bulge in the stock fender. By doing this I was able to retain some of the strength created by the bend in the factory sheet metal and maintain some of the factory fender lines. I covered the raw cut with a black plastic edging.

The front of the fender mounts to the "wing" of my shrockworks bumper with four 1/4" flathead bolts.

The rear of the fender is supported with a custom made bracket that ties into the upper door mounts. The fender conects to this bracket using a 7/16" grade 8 nut and bolt and Prothane suspension bushings. This is kinda hard to get in photos so I will post a few from different views.

So far this rear mount has held up quite well to some fairly brutal abuse on the rocks.

I have to give big thanks to my friend Buddy who helped me out a ton with his tube bending and fine welding skills. Without his help the results would have been far less professional looking.

#274382 - 19/06/07 03:29 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
That, Sir, is Freekin AWSOME.

laugh

I wish I lived in a place that didn't have inspection Nazi's making sure the tire's were covered, etc.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#274383 - 19/06/07 04:00 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TJ:
[QB]That, Sir, is Freekin AWSOME.

laugh

[ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

#274384 - 19/06/07 04:24 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very nice indeed, good work.

#274385 - 19/06/07 04:39 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
Looks great man.

#274386 - 19/06/07 06:36 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is FLIPPIN SWEET!!!

#274387 - 19/06/07 06:54 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Very clean.
I've been looking into doing that for a while.
Wasnt quite sure how to execute it though.
Thanks for the specifics.
I think it's time I follow up on it. wink

Any plans to continue it into an exo in the future?

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#274388 - 19/06/07 08:51 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
That does look clean.

My only wonder is if you hit that bar hard enough will it tweak your door.

#274389 - 19/06/07 08:54 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is unlikely that I will do an exo anytime soon. I am looking at the posibility of tube rear corners to replace the plastic ones which I have destroyed often enough that I now remove them when I wheel. If I do this it will involve a 2" hole saw someplace just behind the rear wheel well allowing me to tie into the frame. I would go for a similar 2 tube design and try to follow the factory lines as much as possible.

#274390 - 19/06/07 10:25 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is how much I've cut [Smoking] . I now have the body mount moved up 2" and the sleeve for the shackle thru the frame.

#274391 - 19/06/07 10:28 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bad shoot, how's this. That is after.

#274392 - 19/06/07 11:47 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

That original pic of the fender tube mod, did you do that yourself? Is that a Shrock bumper? Would you manufacture something like that for other people? Thanks!=James

#274393 - 20/06/07 12:18 AM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by marty2:
Bad shoot, how's this. That is after.
Your missing something kinda important in this picture. I just can't put my finger on it...

#274394 - 20/06/07 06:22 AM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Soccerbrace,

Quote:
Originally posted by MMNIAC:

The front of the fender mounts to the "wing" of my shrockworks bumper with four 1/4" flathead bolts.
MNNIAC, damn...all I got to say. I will be doing something along these lines in the future, be nice to hide the 35s when I put 'em on.

TJ, so easy to make the second tube come out over the tire and tie the tubes together with sheet metal to "cover" the tires.

#274395 - 20/06/07 07:23 AM Re: Tube Fender mod
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
That looks awesome!!!

#274396 - 20/06/07 07:42 AM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

It passed inspections here in TX with flying colors. The second tube would actually have been easier to bend and weld if I wanted it sticking out further over the tire but I liked it this way. We mocked it up with some plate between the tubes but after comparing it with and without I liked this much better.

#274397 - 20/06/07 08:11 AM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Obviously you've never had to endure a state inspection here in the Northeast... Tires can't exceed fenderwalls, state emisions, bumpers can't be more than so many inches off the ground, wipers must be in perfect condition, every little thing fails up here.

#274398 - 20/06/07 09:57 AM Re: Tube Fender mod
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Quote:
Your missing something kinda important in this picture. I just can't put my finger on it...
HOLY CRAP DUDE! You're supposed to remove the front IFS axle for a SAS, not the rear. [LOL]
just kidding.

I really like the tube fenders.
I'm thinking about extending them a little further to cover over the tire and covering the top with some black diamond plate.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#274399 - 20/06/07 10:29 AM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Arizona would have no problem with that.

Interested in manufacture and sale of this? I'll take two sets.

#274400 - 20/06/07 12:40 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

To be honest, the amount of labor involved in making these was pretty silly. Also since the bumper position would be slightly different on each X, they are a custom fit item. If it wasn't for good friends with good fabrication skills and tools I wouldn't have these.

I would love it if I was in a position to make some more for you guys but I am really not. Feel free to use the design as a springboard for better ones of your own though.

#274401 - 20/06/07 06:20 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can cut this much and have plenty of room for matching rear protection laugh

#274402 - 20/06/07 08:29 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just saw a couple of vids of you on the rocks [ThumbsUp]

#274403 - 20/06/07 08:57 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by MemorEsto:
Obviously you've never had to endure a state inspection here in the Northeast... Tires can't exceed fenderwalls, state emisions, bumpers can't be more than so many inches off the ground, wipers must be in perfect condition, every little thing fails up here.
And thats why we dont live in the Northeast.

#274404 - 22/06/07 11:13 AM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

So when are you going to sell me a set? And how much?

#274405 - 22/06/07 12:52 PM Re: Tube Fender mod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MMNIAC:
To be honest, the amount of labor involved in making these was pretty silly. Also since the bumper position would be slightly different on each X, they are a custom fit item. If it wasn't for good friends with good fabrication skills and tools I wouldn't have these.

I would love it if I was in a position to make some more for you guys but I am really not. Feel free to use the design as a springboard for better ones of your own though.
There's your answer, soccer laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal