shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#275284 - 16/03/01 09:49 PM tire size and lift
STEPH Offline

Loc: Gatineau, Quebec , Canada
Hi yall !

Staight out , I`m a Jeep guy . My wife fell in love with the the XTERRA the day she saw it for the first time.

3 weeks ago , she got 2001 4x4 auto tranny solar yellow Xterra SE with a black WAAG push bar.

I must say I`m very impressed with the ride and looks of it .

personnally, I`m driving a 99 TJ Sahara with a 5 inch lift and 33" tires and all the goodies and I kinda want the X to gain a little height or a least look a little beefier while retaining a sober look.

Well , as sober as a solar yellow X can get.

So , my questions are ;

1.Those 255/65-16 have gotta go. a low profile tire on a s.u.v... No Way ! So what tire size can I put on without lifting it ? I was thinking maybe 265/75-16

2. Will a tire this size affect engine performance. b.t.w , what is the axle gearing in these things ?

3. Knowing that a shackle lift will usually kill any soft riding leaf spring like the ones on the X within a year or two since it puts most of the weight of the vehicle on the back half of the spring pack , How do the springs hold on with longer shackles ?

4. Not being familiar with torsion bars , how much can I crank them before I feel any adverse effect or a rougher ride ?

5. How does Nissan feel about longer shackles , cranked torsion bars and larger tires ? I thought Nissan was very severe as far as the warranty goes. I heard that they will void the warranty if you only put larger tires!

I know that`s a lot of questions guys , but I must say I`m very pleased to see that not only Jeep guys are proud of what they drive.

So now I guess I can have the best of both worlds !

Oh ya , What`s that neat looking basket that some of you have mounted on the roof rack ?

Thanks in advance for your help .

Steph.

------------------

#275285 - 16/03/01 10:16 PM Re: tire size and lift
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
I don't know the answers to your questions but with a little searching with the search engine you could probably have a lot of them answered.

------------------
There are only three sports-Mountain climbing, bullfighting, and motor racing-all the others being games. --Ernest "Papa" Hemingway

#275286 - 16/03/01 10:41 PM Re: tire size and lift
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
1. the 255/65 isn't really what I would call low profile, it has a taller sidewall than anything on a stock Jeep. 1 265/75-16 will put you at 31.6" which will fit with some modifications to the plastic trim around the wheel wells.

2. Oversizing a tire on any vehicle will decrease performance. Your SE should be geared at 4.636 ring and pinion. The Xterra is weak in the transfer case, with only a 2.01:1 low range ratio.

3. I'm on my second set of springs in 20 months, and they have already sagged 2 inches in 6 months. I'm looking for a better solution.

4. About an inch. Get a factory manual if you want to keep it within specs.

5. No problems yet.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#275287 - 29/03/01 02:31 AM Re: tire size and lift
DGX Factor Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
What do you mean by cutting the plastic. Are you refuring to the mud flaps

------------------

#275288 - 29/03/01 08:32 AM Re: tire size and lift
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
That's what he means.

The mudflaps must be trimmed.

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#275289 - 29/03/01 10:50 AM Re: tire size and lift
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
I fit 33x10.50 Super Swampers under my X with just a little adjustment of the torsion bars and a little trimming.

Wow, you needed 5" of Lift to get 33s under the TJ, that's a bummer.

------------------
Michael Girardo
Member - MAXC | Moderator - XOC
www.avaloninternet.net/users/bythebay/xterra <---Redesigned

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal