2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#276429 - 04/02/01 10:45 PM specific tire
jimjoy Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ, USA
I just bought a 2001 Silver SE with 16" stock tires. I live in Phoenix,AZ and want to upgrade my tires as big as I can without having to do any modifications. I keep hearing people recommending BFG or Scorpions. I will be doing 75% intown driving and 25% off road, so I am hoping not to make any changes that affect my intown driving too much. I would still like the reliability for off road, since I will be using them in bad conditions (mud, sand, slick rock, snow, etc.). I keep hearing that 265/70/16 AT's would be good. What brand is best, how much ply sidewalls do I need (2 ply, 3 ply?), and do I have to do a torsion lift (I don't want to!). I don't mind some cutting, but want to keep the mud flaps I have. I am just a girl, so please be easy on the technical lingo (doesn't mean that I won't get dirty though). Just learning, but very interested in making my Xterra solid. Any advice greatly appreciated for my situation. TIA.

------------------
2001 4X4 Silver SE

[This message has been edited by jimjoy (edited February 05, 2001).]

#276430 - 04/02/01 11:02 PM Re: specific tire
spike Offline

Loc: North Bend, OR
By no modifications do you mean no trimming at all? My wife was very strict about me not trimming at all, so I went with smaller tires than I would have liked. I'm running 255/70/16 BFG AT TA/KO's. At full compression(wheels fully turned) There is no rubbing at all, and no trimming required. These tires are great. I've only driven them in the sand and a little bit of mud(and on the street, of course), but they've been excellent so far.

------------------
'01 SE Just Blue 4x4
-PNWX member-

#276431 - 05/02/01 04:25 AM Re: specific tire
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
If I were you I would go with 255/70R16 BFG AT's, like Spike suggested. I don't believe you'll be able to keep your mudflaps with 265/70R16 unless you crank your torsion bars.
I have those tires in 275/70R16, and have been quite happy with them.

The BFG AT's have a 3 ply sidewall, which some say makes them ride quite firm. I don't really notice, but I also like a firm ride. If you're concerned with it, some people on the board like Pirelli Scorpion AT's, which have a 2-ply sidewall. I believe "O'Polka" just recently got these tires in size 245/75/R16 and has pictures of what he trimmed (not much.)

p.s. Spike--you really don't rub at all, huh? What about with the wheels only turned slightly? (It's been my experience they rub more when NOT at full lock.)

------------------
gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.beatdriven.com/xterra.html

#276432 - 05/02/01 08:43 AM Re: specific tire
Tex-X Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL USA
Check out the Bridegstone Dueler AT. You will love them both on and off the road. They have a 30 day free ride garranty, if you don't like them within 30 days you can get your money back and you old tires reinstalled or a different tire if you want. Check your local Firestone store for details. Great Tires!

------------------

#276433 - 05/02/01 09:08 AM Re: specific tire
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by spike:
By no modifications do you mean no trimming at all? My wife was very strict about me not trimming at all, so I went with smaller tires than I would have liked.

How would your wife know if you did any trimming to the inside plastic fender? I seriously doubt she would be poking her head into the tire well saying "it looks like 1/2" of plastic is missing from this inside piece.".

------------------
Join the Xterra Offroad Webring

2000 Aztec Red 4x4 V-6 XE-3Pak
www.xterra4x4.com

#276434 - 05/02/01 12:29 PM Re: specific tire
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spike:
My wife was very strict about me not trimming at all

INSERT SOUND OF WHIP CRACKING HERE.

#276435 - 05/02/01 12:43 PM Re: specific tire
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
LOL, T...

Just a note - "full compression" doesn't mean having the wheels turned one way or the other, but the suspension being compressed. For example, landing a jump, the body goes down and compresses the springs, shocks, tires, etc. which pushes the tires up into the wheel wells. This moves the widest part of the tire closer to the mud flaps and the tops of the tires closer to fuel filler lines, etc.

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#276436 - 05/02/01 01:15 PM Re: specific tire
spike Offline

I'm wrong about a lot of things, I guess full compression is one of them. Sorry to confuse people less mechanically-inclined than I(if that's possible).

And yes, the whip cracks several times a day. Marriage is such a grand thing. And about trimming.. nearly every time I come back from 'wheeling the X gets a full inspection for damage, etc. So yeah, she'd notice.
And another thing. I had a friend turn the wheel while I watched for rub, and there's none at all. I've got a bout a half inch gap at closest.
------------------
'01 SE Just Blue 4x4
-PNWX member-

[This message has been edited by spike (edited February 05, 2001).]

#276437 - 05/02/01 08:18 PM Re: specific tire
jimjoy Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Well, this is getting confusing! From this post and some threads on other posts, I am hearing both sides of this argument: Can you use the 265/70/R16 while keeping the mudflaps and doing only a little trimming?

Does anyone have personal experience with this actually working? And if so, can you do it without the torsion lift?

Some people are saying that they got the 245/70/16's without any modifcations. Why would you choose this given that stock tires are 255/65/16? It doesn't seem worth it to upgrade for such a small difference. Is it worth it? why or why not?

Thank you!

------------------
2001 4X4 Silver SE

[This message has been edited by jimjoy (edited February 05, 2001).]

#276438 - 05/02/01 08:32 PM Re: specific tire
spike Offline

When I bought new tires, I wasn't upgrading for size difference. I was upgrading the tire itself(ie quality, traction).

------------------
'01 SE Just Blue 4x4
-PNWX member-

#276439 - 06/02/01 08:09 AM Re: specific tire
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
for later purposes with girlfriends and wives, if you were to trim the plastic i could almost guaruntee they would never know the difference. how many women stick their heads inside the wheel well? when done correctly that is the only way to tell if they are trimmed. the only exception to this would be if you had the mud flaps and then trimmed, since you would have to loose the mud flaps to trim, that they might notice.

#276440 - 07/02/01 10:02 AM Re: specific tire
Anonymous
Unregistered

I put on some Cooper AT's 265/70 R15's once I got my X. A little trimming was required but they look great and after comparing them with Scorpions decided on Coopers. Better offroading capability and they handle well on the road. Anyways, at no point did I let my wife know I was trimming plastic off our new vehicle, and she is none the wiser. Even if she looked she probably would assume that was like that from the manufacturer.

------------------
2001 XE Silver Ice

#276441 - 07/02/01 10:13 AM Re: specific tire
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I'm surprised you had to trim for that. That's the stock size of an XE.

------------------
Eric Konarske
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

#276442 - 07/02/01 02:45 PM Re: specific tire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ILUVMYX:
I'm surprised you had to trim for that. That's the stock size of an XE.

My mistake, they were 265/75 R15's. Makes a little more sense now.

------------------
2001 XE Silver Ice

#276443 - 23/02/01 09:41 PM Re: specific tire
msiseng Offline

Loc: Bethesda, MD USA
I went to my trusty Goodyear Dealer of 10 years to check the tires after buying the X. He told me the stock 16" tires are fine and it is not worth it to purchase larger tires.

Does anyone have conclusive information that the stock tires are not good?

------------------
'01, SE, 4X4, Just Blue, Auto. Also own a loaded '96 Ford "Exploader" Sport - No comparison to the off-roading ability of the Nissan!

#276444 - 24/02/01 06:29 AM Re: specific tire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by msiseng:
I went to my trusty Goodyear Dealer of 10 years to check the tires after buying the X. He told me the stock 16" tires are fine and it is not worth it to purchase larger tires.

Does anyone have conclusive information that the stock tires are not good?

Well going a bit larger doesn't make the big difference. Unless you are interested in getting some more space in between the rim and tread for flexing and such. The conclusive information is that you take General Grabbers through the mud and then you take an AT or MT tire through the mud the latter tires are going to perform better. I drove a short time in the snow and on dirt on my Generals, and then switched to Cooper Discoverer ATs. The main reason was snow. I was spinning the Generals in 2WD all the time. The slightest bit of snow and I would have to put it in 4WD. With the ATs thats not the case, the difference is dramatic. I think most people will tell you the same thing performance wise. If your not planning on going offroad often and if you don't have a lot of snow, there fine.

------------------
2001 XE Silver Ice

#276445 - 25/02/01 04:16 PM Re: specific tire
electrobuzz Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally posted by jimjoy:
Well, this is getting confusing! From this post and some threads on other posts, I am hearing both sides of this argument: Can you use the 265/70/R16 while keeping the mudflaps and doing only a little trimming?

This is how much removing/trimming you need:
[img]http://images.ofoto.com/photos50/1/20/22/93/10/0/10932220103_0_ALB.jpg?v=1[/img]

No lift, no rub at all. I expect there might be some rub at extreme compression.

------------------
Dan.
2001 Solar Yellow
SE 4 x 4.

Exploring the Rockies
"The world's gone to the mall in a hellbasket."

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal