2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#276604 - 25/06/05 10:21 PM 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the picture does not look good (I will have pics on this very soon). The short of it is that it look like aftermarket rims are gonna be difficult and the good old steel black one are gonna be right out of the progam all together [Crybaby] .

Again, the pictures will help but I will try and explain the best I can. The guys as 4wheelparts have been super helpful and we took some pics and I am waiting for them to send them too me.

So, here's the deal. Some of you may be aware that on a disc brake, often the disc itself is "set back" from the baseplate/hub that the wheel itself sits against. A "dish" so to speak that is 3-4 inches deep that puts the disc closer to the vehicle. If you were to take the disc off and set it down on the work bench, it would mak a very wide rimmed bowl. On our trucks, there is no setback (well, only like a 1/4 inch) meaning that the disc surface is almost flush with where the wheel itself lays against the vehicle once the lugs are put on from the outside. (the workbench thing would result in more of a plate). This obviously could cause a problem with the caliper as it would then contact the wheel. Therefore, the spacer/separator that would be in the disc is in the wheel. You can see this clearly when the wheel is off (again, sorry, wait for the pics).

HOW IS THIS A PROBLEM???
Steel wheels - with some wheels, the 'dish' effect of the wheel can be 'steep' and keep the wheel away from the caliper as it goes away from the hub. With almost all steel wheels, this is not the case, it is (relatively) flat. So when we put the wheel up on the lugs, it contacted the caliper from the backside of the face of the wheel (not the inside diameter as would happen with a smaller diameter rim) So, that pretty much does it for the steel wheels, which sucks cause they looked kick arse up against the truck.

Here is the kicker. THEY WOULD WORK IN THE BAcK!!! NO SHITE. WHY? cause the offset exists for the mini-drum for the parking brake. The wheel is set much farther away from the caliper. (and NO, I won't go ghetto)

What about a spacer? Well, that would leave no bolt depth for the lugs to attach to. And as in Nevada, they are illegal in some states and just not a good idea.

WHEEEWH! stay with me.

Other wheels - any wheels now will have to have this built into the backside of the wheel. This should be no problem for billet wheels which are of course, the more expensive.

Keep in mind, this is gonna be the same for the Frontier as well (except for maybe the rear). The good news is, they are selling soo many Frontiers and X's, someone is gonna start making wheels we can use (keep something xrossed). Untill that time, I am afraid we are S.O.L. [Crybaby] [Crybaby] There may be some rims out there on the market but considering the obsure bolt and offset pattern, it might be difficult to find and I am done thinking about it for a while.

Since it is the end of the day (Sat) and they have not forwarded the pics to me, it could be monday before I get them. But if any of you want to take off a front wheel, you will see exactly what i am talking about.
[Crybaby] [Crybaby] [Crybaby] [Crybaby]

#276605 - 25/06/05 10:48 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I forgot to mention. One VERY IMPORTANT FACTOR WE HAVE ALL FORGOT ABOUT IS THE TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We never got this far but there was some concern as to whether or not the design of the inside of the wheel will accomidate the sensor. Apparently it is a small black box that is attached at the stem from the inside.

#276606 - 26/06/05 12:41 AM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

VERY good info. If I could give you five little trucks for your efforts I would; but I can't so this is the best I can do [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] Sorry for all of the ass-pain you went through trying to figure this out, but you saved the rest of us quite a bit of legwork. Thanks. smile

#276607 - 26/06/05 07:48 AM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
This is what we all figured.

You get a super thumbs up [ThumbsUp] for trying though! wink

Go treat yourself to some fun wheelin!

#276608 - 27/06/05 08:55 AM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

here's somethin else i thought about. the X pictured on the calmini site with the lift has aftermarket rims!!!

wonder if we can find out who's those are

#276609 - 27/06/05 09:10 AM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

That info would be good to have, but those aren't what I have in mind for a second set of wheelin' rims.

Get the pics yet?

#276610 - 27/06/05 06:49 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ammotroop:
If I could give you five little trucks for your efforts I would
so, why don't i have any little trucks? not that i particularly care but i just noticed that i don't have any.

#276611 - 27/06/05 07:06 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
here's somethin else i thought about. the X pictured on the calmini site with the lift has aftermarket rims!!!

wonder if we can find out who's those are
They are just for show. Not sure if they respect the offset... If not, it's still nice, but the balljoint will have more stress then what they are made for, this result in a unreliable setup... frown But good try!

BTW, It's hard to explain my idea in english... I hope you guys understood what I mean! laugh

#276612 - 01/07/05 03:13 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok, got the pics to update. sorry for the pic size but that's the way he sent them too me and i really wanted to get them up.

this is the front rotor. notice how the center is almost flush with the friction surface.

this is the stock wheel. notice the built-in spacer.

this is of the aftermarket steel wheel. notice there is no spacer, the wheel comes right down to the lugs.

#276613 - 01/07/05 08:10 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

And what about using a spacer with rims that have more positive offset? Like a 1" spacer (25mm) for a 55mm positive offset rim ustead only 30mm...?

Look like it will be hard to find someting without spacer!

#276614 - 02/07/05 04:11 AM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
foytiXfrontier Offline

Loc: elizabeth city, NC, USA
wheel adapters will work, don't use wheel spacers, adapters come with another set of studs, if you go with 1in, you will have to grind down the original studs about a 1/16in for the wheel to fit flush. This post is exactly the headache I had 2 weeds ago. As far as your tire pressure monitor, I don't know about swapping it I left mine out. I've got the SE model and it only has an indicator light. The only time it comes on ( i think 3 times know ) is probably due to riding to close to another vehicle putting out the same frequency or I believe there is a restaurant nearby that turns it on. It resets when you restart the vehicle.

2005 Pathfinder SE 4x4
16x8 AR chrome JammerII
305/70r16 BFG Mud Terrain KM

#276615 - 20/07/05 12:17 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did somebody found a wheel that fit on the 05? frown No news on this ?

#276616 - 20/07/05 05:14 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Bodeau:
Did somebody found a wheel that fit on the 05? frown No news on this ?
www.americanracing.com
I saw 17 different wheels there for the 05's.

#276617 - 20/07/05 06:10 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm talking about steel wheels, sorry about that. Saw them on American Racing they show only 1 steel wheel and it's not 16X7 but 17X8, and the offset is no 33mm but 0mm... [ThumbsDown] So it doesn't fit! frown

Still have to search.

#276618 - 21/07/05 01:51 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

No luck here either. Its the crazy center bore that is unique to the 05 that is limiting the options. No one else uses it in that bolt pattern so its not cost effective to make them just for the 05 X Terra. We have tried but no one is making them, we are not able to get any wheels anytime soon, Sorry. frown

#276619 - 21/07/05 01:57 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm currently trying to find someting similar in the other make. Nothing at Toyota... Maybe GM have someting with 6 lugs that could fit... Or Dodge with their pick up... But wheels informations are not really easy to find!

#276620 - 22/07/05 10:08 AM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just got something from an guy on a Toyota discussion group.

http://membres.lycos.fr/toyodori/files/BoltPattern.pdf

Didn't have the time to look at it carrefully, but he told me that Dakota, Dorango and Viper have same bolt patern...

#276621 - 23/07/05 05:26 AM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, apparently, the 98-03 Dakota are suppose to fit.

They have exactly the same bolt patern, the same size and the same offset!

Not too bad on an X...

It's a Photoshop, just to have an idea... But I will try them on an 05 Xterra.

#276622 - 23/07/05 06:41 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

what kind of rims are those?

#276623 - 23/07/05 08:25 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

those are the stock dakota wheels. if you don't mind the ram on the center cap, then you're golden! laugh

#276624 - 23/07/05 08:45 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

hahahaha...than thats a no go...

i want some rims damnit!!!

#276625 - 24/07/05 06:49 AM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

laugh

I think the Dakota was available with steel rims too. But I learned yesterday that 05 Xterra S have a steel wheel as spare! So Steel wheels exist for the X.

5 tire rotation

I will call at Nissan dealer monday to know how much they ask for. It will be in CDN$ so somebody should call for the US price.

#276626 - 25/07/05 12:54 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just finnish to talk with my dealer. All they have in computer is the spare steel wheel. It's detailed at 335.00CDN$ + Taxes without tire. eek With the conversion, it's 275US$! And the guy I talked with don't think this wheel is strong enought for use in trail or daily use. It's apparently really just a temporary wheel.

He also said they are suppose to receive information about real steel wheel around october for winter, but he will call the pieces suplier tomorow morning to have the info for me. So I'll call back tomorow afternoon and keep you posted...

#276627 - 26/07/05 02:52 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, so it's the end of the saga for me, I have all the informations I need.

My dealer told me today that they can have 16X7 steel wheels for the 05 Xterra for 90CDN$+tx. Plus, this dealer is a "sleeping partner" (is that the right term?) of the Quebec Xterra Club where I'm member an gives 20% off on pieces, and could give an additional reduction for a group buy here in Quebec but will be sure in October when they'll have more steel wheel in stock. [ThumbsUp]

#276628 - 26/07/05 06:55 PM Re: 05 aftermarket wheels, the good, bad and ugly!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah, the dakota info may be the same but again, it is the offset built into the front rotors that is the problem. a steel wheel won't get far enough away from the caliper to clear (without the little 'spacer' built into the aluminum wheels that can't be built into the steel wheels).

and, i used to have a dakota, and i am pretty sure that they don't have the offset built into their rotors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal