2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#277564 - 05/07/07 09:27 PM brake pad change
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just changed the brake pads all around on my '05 x. After almost 37,000 miles on the pads, they hardly seemed worn at all. I meant to have my camera with me so I could write a how to (I saw one for the rears) but the rechargeable battery for the camera won't hold a charge, but basically the procedure is as follows.
1. loosen the lug nuts on all of the wheels that you will need to remove to get to the brakes you are trying to get at.
2. Jack up vehicle so that one axle is suspended.
3. support vehicle with a pair of jack stands.
4. remove lug nuts that you loosened.
5. remove wheel.
6. loosen and remove the two inboard bolts holding the calipers to the pads (the head is the same diameter as the oil drain plug).
7. Swing caliper assemble you just unbolted out of the way and secure to vehicle with bungee or zip ties (just don't let it hang by the brake line)
8. Snap out the old pads (the one with the little tap on it belongs to the inboard side of the passenger wheel (both front and back)) using a twisting motion as if giving a motorcycle "the gas."
9. Remove shims and bracket do-hickies from old pads.
10. Attach shims just removed to new pads.
11. Snap new pads back in (insert the little metal spring thing (looks like a paper clip straightened then bent in half so it looks like a "V") to the pads on the front pads).
12. Compress the calipers with a c-clamp (I used a worn pad to distribute the clamping pressure).
13. Remove the c-clamp.
14. Slide the caliper assemble back over the pads.
15. Align the bolt holes.
16. Replace the two bolts you previously removed.
17. Replace wheels.
18. Replace lug nuts and finger tighten.
19. Repeat steps 4-18 for the other wheel on the same axle.
20. Lower vehicle.
21. Repeat steps 2-20 for other axle.
22. Tighten lug nuts to specified torque.
23. With the car started and in park, pump the brake pedal a few (3-5) times to seat the pads.

If I can do it, anyone can. All I have ever done before is change my oil (anyone know a way to change it without making a mess? I have some stories, but those are for another day). I changed all four sets of pads, rotated my tires, and changed my oil in just over 2 hours today. I hope this helps.
Mike

#277565 - 06/07/07 07:16 PM Re: brake pad change
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the pads weren't worn, why did you change them?

#277566 - 06/07/07 11:09 PM Re: brake pad change
Anonymous
Unregistered

I changed them because I had the car all jacked up and ready to go. I figured that I would give it a shot and at least get a learning experience. I had read on another forum that a user changed his a 30k and there was very little left of the pads, so I got nervous, ordered the pads, and installed them.
mike

#277567 - 07/07/07 08:43 AM Re: brake pad change
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by zambonikane:
I changed them because I had the car all jacked up and ready to go. I figured that I would give it a shot and at least get a learning experience. I had read on another forum that a user changed his a 30k and there was very little left of the pads, so I got nervous, ordered the pads, and installed them.
mike
That don't make sense...like AZ-Ted mentioned, If the pads weren't worn, why did you change them?...I could understand if you were hearing the "Warning Tab" on the Brakes squeeking, then Yes, it will be a good Idea to Change Brake Pads...but in your case, the Brakes were fine...

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal