2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#277692 - 09/03/05 10:11 AM '02-'04 4x4 XE owners - 265/75-16" Tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know I am probably get flamed here, but I have tried to research through old topics, as well as tire stores. But, I would rather hear it from 02-04 X owners who have replaced their rubber with some A/T's. I would like to go a little bigger than the stock 265/70-16's which are 30.6" in Diameter.
I am looking at the BFG KO's and Bridgestone Revo's. The overall diameter of the tires on 265/75-16 is 31.7"
I am using stock rims and have mudflaps. I don't mind trimming the flaps if I have to, but is there anything else I would have to do?

IF you have pictures of what the bigger size would look like, please post.

Also, I have read that it will make the speedometer off a little as well.

#277693 - 09/03/05 10:56 AM Re: '02-'04 4x4 XE owners - 265/75-16" Tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 03Xterraman:
I am using stock rims and have mudflaps. I don't mind trimming the flaps if I have to but is there anything else I would have to do?

Nope - you may not even need to trim on an '03, and if you do it will be very minor.

Quote:
Also, I have read that it will make the speedometer off a little as well.
Just a bit - my '01 is off 12.4% w/ 265/75R16s (GPS checked) - just keep that in mind when driving and computing mileage and you'll be fine.

Revos and KOs are both great, I have the KOs and love 'em. The Revos probably perform slightly better on-road, the KOs probably perform better off-road (and they look cooler laugh ), but both are great tires. If I could do it over again I'd still go with the KOs over the Revos.

#277694 - 09/03/05 11:01 AM Re: '02-'04 4x4 XE owners - 265/75-16" Tires?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
You could take advice from those with '02-'04, they are exactly the same as far as the trimming you are considering...the '00-01's are a bit tighter as far as plastic go, and exactly the same as far as the metal goes.

32's fit stock '02-'04's, so you will make it w/o major problems.

laugh

Your speedometer will tell you that you are going slower than you really are, and your odometer will tell you you have not gone as far as you really have...

Which is why the next post is typically about why the gas mileage dropped after getting bigger tires...you were driving faster than normal, and you went further than you thought you did.

In actuality, you just got a deeper overdrive to relax those freeway rpm.

laugh

The percentage that you will be off will be proportional to the difference in tire revolutions per minute between the two tire sizes...Tirerack for example lists the tire rpm for each size, so you can do a direct comparison of those two tires you mentioned.

As to which tire is better, the REVO's are a solid choice if you don't go off road much/avoid deep mud/rocks.

The BFG AT ko's are better if you off road more, do rocks, etc....but need to drive a daily commute without sacrificing. (More aggressive tread, but wear like iron)

If you are more concerned with deep mud than the daily commute, you would even prefer dedicated mud or rock tires...but they wear out faster and handle worse on road...so they involve a sacrifice on the daily commute.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal