2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#280108 - 20/03/07 06:54 PM Getting new tires and rims (hopefully)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got my X, and I am planning on putting on a 2" BL and a PML. Now I have been thinking about the tires I would like to put on there and I have come to the decision that I would like to put on Kumho MT's 33". Now I am prepared to do some cutting of the plastic. I wanted to go with 15" steel rims with 5" of BS (tell me if this should be different). I would like to keep my stock 17" wheels and use them for daily drivers. Also I will have other transportation so I won't be destorying the Kumho's on the road if I leave them on there.

So basically this is where I have run into trouble. I am trying to get this all put together in a package through Town Fair Tire. I have had good experiences with them in the past and they will be able to mount everything and align the truck for next to nothing if I buy the tires and wheels through them. However they are telling me that I would not be able to go with 15" or 16" wheels since the brake calipers are to large. Also they say I will have to have a wheel width of 9" to be able to get 12.5" tires. I would like to know if what they are saying is true. Also what if I go with say just 11.5" wide tires, what would the wheel size need to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#280109 - 20/03/07 08:29 PM Re: Getting new tires and rims (hopefully)
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
16" rims will absolutely fit...no matter what, with no exceptions....and depending on the brakes, the 15's might too.

As for the wheel width...they're wrong...I'm running 305/70/16's on the stock 16x7 rims...for 100K, no problem....and there's plenty of others running 33x12.5's on the stock 7" rims as well...all w/o a problem.

For street tires, where you don't want a bulge, and you want the edge of the sidewall even with the edge of the rim, sure, they're OK there...but as far as truck tires go...you can run 16x7's with 12.5" section width tires.

So - the 33x12.5's are a bit cheaper in a 15" size...I recommend trying some on for size, and see the clearance, there's a GOOD chance it will be OK...some people have clearanced the 15's to fit...but I forget what year they had to do that for...round headlights, but after that, it got hazy...

Hope that helps!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal