shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#280454 - 13/01/05 10:08 AM PROCOMP Buyer Beware!
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, I'm not normally the type to gripe about a company on a messageboard, but my friend's experience is just over the top. Here's the background. He drives an XJ, with somewhere around 6" of lift, rear locker, and 35x12.5 R15 Procomp M/T's. The XJ is his daily driver, even though it's pretty decently modified at this point. He runs +/- 35 psi on the street, to maximize gas mileage. We wheel moderate to hard offroading trails, about once a month. We haven't been wheeling since I broke my shiite back at the NOAS URE run, so that was what, October? My memory isn't so good.

Anyways, here's his emails today, directly copied, so I don't f* anything up in the translation:

Email 1:

Quote:
woke up this morning to the not so gentle beating of my roof from the tarp over my skylight (one of the ropes had broken) (5:30)
so i fixed it and was on my way into work 20 minutes late
having a nice drive
i hear this weird noise and then my rear end went mushy
pulled to the side of the road
and one of my fuking left rear blew out
no wait it gets better
i had taken my tire iron out to work on the cj 2 days ago
nothing like calling AAA to change a flat
this day can't get much worse
email 2:

Quote:
IM GONNA GET AHOLD OF PRO COMP FIRST
IF THEY DON'T FIX IT IM GONNA GO WITH BFG'S ALL AROUND
THAT WAY I WILL HAVE TWO GOOD SPARES
AND I WILL JUST SELL THE THIRD
I NEED SOMETHING WITH ROAD HAZARD APARENTLY
email 3:

Quote:
oh
its fuking on
i called procomp
and was telling her about my problem
being real nice
but informing her that i need an answer real quick about wha they are going to do
she asked me to send her an email
so i did
then i asked her if she recieved the email yet and she said hold on
as she set down the phone i distinctly heard the words a$$hole come out of her mouth
when she came back i asked to speak to her manager
and she said she was the manager
so im going over and beyond
i don't give a sheet how bad her day is
mine is worse
and the c unt is going
email 4:

Quote:
ok john
start posting some pics im going to let everyone know
procomp blos
they decided i was running too low of air pressure
which overheated the tires
i said the only time i run low pressure is offroad
then i asked
you do advertise these as offroad tires don't you
and he said yes

i said do you think the discoloration might have come from me running no pressure in the tire for a 1/4 mile
he said no that wouldn't do it
Notice the amount of tread remaining on the tires, aka, they aren't even half-used, yet (yes, that's a quarter):

Wow, that's a nice explosion/melt down of a side-lug, then a nice tear in the sidewall:

Then finally, whaddya' know; the tear is even worse than it looks. Reminds me of the pull-string cheese snacks...:

So at this point, my friend is out the $$ for a new tire. But since the Procomps are such a sibby tire, aka, they have an explosion for no reason, and they won't back them up, he's going w/ the BFG M/T's next time.

So the point of the posting is, Procomp M/T's are "Buyer Beware". Beware that you may not have any problems with them. Beware that if you do, they will NOT stand by their product, even if it is a fairly obvious manufacturing/product defect (lug melting/dissappearing). Don't skimp on tires; it's just not worth it!

#280455 - 13/01/05 10:36 AM Re: PROCOMP Buyer Beware!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Um,I'm not convinced.

Looks like he hit something on the edge of the tread, causing a secondary tear on the sidewall.

A sidewall blowout looks hella different, with almost a reverse-bullet-hole-like look on the sidewall at the point of failure. The edges of the initial sidewall blowout area would also be sort of melted, as the heat would leave it's mark.

I run ProComp tires, and have had absolutley zero problems with them.

Sorry to hear about that though.

#280456 - 13/01/05 10:40 AM Re: PROCOMP Buyer Beware!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please explain what he could have possibly hit while on the interstate, headed to work this morning, that would have caused that? Another car, maybe, but I think he would have felt that.

If you notice, there is melting around the side-lug, that's now dissappeared.

Either way, we haven't been offroading for months, and he drives his XJ everyday to work and back. If it had been damaged the last time we went offroad, it would have blown out a long, long time ago, from the damage.

If he did hit something on the interstate, then their road hazard warranty should cover the cost, at least pro-rate the tire. But they aren't. They are sticking with the "underinflated" BS.

I've had blowouts from an underinflated tire before. It causes the sidewall to rip radially, not perpendicular. Only thing that'll cause a tire to rip perpendicular while driving, is a tire defect, IMO.

#280457 - 13/01/05 11:07 AM Re: PROCOMP Buyer Beware!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, he did hit something. Besides, Pro comp themselves isn't usually responsible for that stuff. The dealer who installed it is. Pro-Comp is a high quality tire and they have good reason to follow company policy on these matters.

As for the woman on the telephone, however, no excuse!

I am so doggone tired of almost every business treating customers as if they are an inconvenience.

Even if your friend was an a$$hole, her conduct was inexcusable.

I have dealt with customers in many different venues and capacities over the years. The ones who are pissed may or may not have a good reason to be. They may or may not be nice. They are almost ALWAYS easy to please. If they are shown a little effort and they will generally be happy that the CSR has done there best to rectify the problem.

I boycott EVERY business that shows me poor customer service (unless management rectifies it). I also try to report infractions. If everyone did that none of these jerks would have jobs. If they did, then the businesses keeping them would go under.

I don't ask for much from the businesses that I spend my money at. Just common courtesy. If they can't handle that, there are plenty of other businesses out there who actually want customers.

Porsche996: Tell your friend to write a letter to somebody high up in pro-comp about everything he has experienced. He should be sure to cc the board of directors. I bet he will hear back from them, promptly.

#280458 - 13/01/05 12:21 PM Re: PROCOMP Buyer Beware!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like the tire caught something. Whether it was on the highway or side road before the highway, who knows. It could be simple as catching the edge of a pothole or exteme as catching exposed rebar.

I agree it should go back to the tire dealer that installed for road hazard and not the tire company.

#280459 - 14/01/05 08:56 PM Re: PROCOMP Buyer Beware!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Please explain what he could have possibly hit while on the interstate, headed to work this morning, that would have caused that? Another car, maybe, but I think he would have felt that.

If you notice, there is melting around the side-lug, that's now dissappeared.

Either way, we haven't been offroading for months, and he drives his XJ everyday to work and back. If it had been damaged the last time we went offroad, it would have blown out a long, long time ago, from the damage.

If he did hit something on the interstate, then their road hazard warranty should cover the cost, at least pro-rate the tire. But they aren't. They are sticking with the "underinflated" BS.

I've had blowouts from an underinflated tire before. It causes the sidewall to rip radially, not perpendicular. Only thing that'll cause a tire to rip perpendicular while driving, is a tire defect, IMO.
It could have been almost anything. A piece of metal, bone from a small animal, etc. It could have been thrown (or blown) clear from the sudden decompression of the tire.

We do see customers coming in with massive holes in the tires, with absolutely nothing sticking in there. It only takes the weight of the vehicle to push something in. But 35psi, from the entire volume of the tire itself, can very easily push an object out of a tire carcass.

But Jeff is correct, the woman's response was uncalled for.

Just a note though, your friend wasn't asking her out when she said that, was he? Just asking.....not that it's happened to me or nothin'. laugh

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal