shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#280806 - 19/03/06 12:50 PM Wheel spacers vs. deep dish wheels
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone had any dealings with wheel spacers.
Here is the website that I found them.

http://www.willysoffroadsupply.com/OK-WS...h_Lug_Nuts.html

I would think that the extra pressure put on the hubs would not be good.

#280807 - 19/03/06 02:24 PM Re: Wheel spacers vs. deep dish wheels
Anonymous
Unregistered

As I recall they're a bad idea...just buy wheels with less offset, and you'll get a wider stance. With a first gen X, you have many aftermarket wheel choices.
The 2nd gen Xs have very few aftermarket wheel choices and the spacer seems to be the only way to go for the time being.

#280808 - 20/03/06 02:55 PM Re: Wheel spacers vs. deep dish wheels
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
Don't the less offset wheels have the same negative effect on the hubs? Please enlighten me. How far can the wheels stick out (than stock) before they won't fit up into the wheel wells upon stuffage?

#280809 - 20/03/06 04:42 PM Re: Wheel spacers vs. deep dish wheels
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Stock BS is deep, like 5.25" BS...33x12.5's fit with stock BS, 31x10.5's rub with 3.75" BS.

:rolleyes:

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#280810 - 20/03/06 05:43 PM Re: Wheel spacers vs. deep dish wheels
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went with spacers to get the wheels I wanted. They ride fine (68,000 mi) but have allowed corrosion to get at my wheel stud's. Would not do them again.

#280811 - 20/03/06 06:23 PM Re: Wheel spacers vs. deep dish wheels
Anonymous
Unregistered

I put spacers on the rear to widen the track and allow more articulation. I left the front without the spacers to minimize the added wear on the IFS components. This has worked out to be a very nice compromise and I am very pleased with the performance. This is a compromise you can not easily come to with wheel backspacing and still be able to rotate your tires, so I think the spacers are a winner.

I am the lead man at a CNC shop, so I was able to make the spacers myself for $40 a pair (the cost of the studs and nuts.) That link you posted is kind of pricey, there are high quility spacers on Ebay everyday at a more reasonable price.

#280812 - 20/03/06 07:40 PM Re: Wheel spacers vs. deep dish wheels
TJ Offline

That's a good point...the fronts are limiting.

For the Revolver shackle set ups for example, you need room inboard on the stuff tire when the opposite tire is at full droop.

A set of 2 spacers, left at the rear would do that for you.

laugh

Out of curiosity..the alignment issues when the rear track is wider...not enough to matter in your first hand experience?

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#280813 - 21/03/06 02:23 AM Re: Wheel spacers vs. deep dish wheels
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I take the truck in for an allignment I take the spacers off so the Hunter machine can get set up correctly (not sure if this really matters or not but it's easy to be safe.)

When driving I really don't notice much difference on the street at all, possibly a slight reduction in body roll but that could be my imagination. On the trail I really do like the added width. It seems to be enough to be a little more sure footed.

The 2.5" difference in track width was a concern that I asked my club about before I tried it but no one seemed to have any idea. I decided the worst it could do was push a little in the corners or wear tires a little extra. I think the problem was bigger in my head than in reality as I haven't noticed any significant change in cornering manners.

#280814 - 21/03/06 05:27 AM Re: Wheel spacers vs. deep dish wheels
TJ Offline

Wait, you take the spacers OFF to get an alignment, but you DRIVE with them on?

Is it that the alignment equipment CAN'T align it with them on?

[Freak]

Kind of seems to defeat the purpose of a 4 wheel alignment, doesn't it?

laugh

#280815 - 21/03/06 08:16 AM Re: Wheel spacers vs. deep dish wheels
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will ask the guys at the allignment shop next time. I don't see how adding perfectly flat spacers to a solid axle would effect allignment in anyway. Maybe I am missing something. Regardless I have noticed no change in tire wear or pulling to indicate there is an allignment issue.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal