shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#280941 - 10/07/04 06:05 PM Nankang Wide Conqueror
Anonymous
Unregistered

I saw this tire in the tire shop.....

They look much more aggressive in person; this pic makes it look like there no space between lugs.

The owner of the shop recommends them for performance and price. They have nice open, deep channels with big lugs. He said they have excellent off-road characteristics with better wear than other AT's. Does anyone have experience with this tire? It's one of the nicest tires I've seen in a while. The radial rover RT's I ordered are on indefinite backorder, so I'm considering getting these.

#280942 - 12/07/04 02:17 AM Re: Nankang Wide Conqueror
Anonymous
Unregistered

whatever you do, DON'T BUY IT..nankang tires really do suck...it's like generic cheapo, poorly built tires...when I still had my race tuned honda--(not a ricer, just like the looks) I had some nankangs in 205-40-17's...sh*t the tire treads designs looks really nice and it would seem to have great handling to it, but a week later I clipped a small rock (about 2.5"dia.) on the side treads--damn tire ripped and popped...I wasn't even going fast-15mph and the air pressure is set way under max(set at 18psi-max is at 35psi)..a month later, I happen to be adjusting my suspentions and I notice that my rear right tire's got a ripp-type laceration on the inside-sidewall--I then knew that these tires are straight out junk-a waste of oil..I haven't driven my car for anywhere in that first month that I just got those tires and it already ripped [ThumbsDown] [ThumbsDown] [ThumbsDown] ..

went out and got me a set of kumho estas...and no more problems from there.

CHEAP CHINA MADE GARBAGE!!!!!A GREAT WASTE OF OUR PRECIOUS OIL

IF THE OWNER OF THE SHOP ISN'T A TRUE FRIEND OF YOUR'S HE'S JUST TRYING TO GET RID OF HIS INVENTORY AND WILL SAY ANYTHING TO GET YOU TO BUY IT...JUST GET A SET OF BF A/T'S / MUDS IF YOU LIKE..YOU CAN DEPEND ON IT NOT FALLING APART ON YOU UP IN THE MOUNTAINS-FAR FROM HELP AND IN BAD TERRAIN, IT'S THE LAST THING YOU'D WANT TO THINK ABOUT.

#280943 - 12/07/04 06:12 AM Re: Nankang Wide Conqueror
Anonymous
Unregistered

They are always trying to get us to sell there ties also. DO not do that unless you are broke. You can buy a much better tire for about the same price or a little more.

#280944 - 12/07/04 04:04 PM Re: Nankang Wide Conqueror
Anonymous
Unregistered

SHIT!!!

I wish somebody would've responded quicker.

I've had two other people tell these tires were kickass.....

So now they've already been ordered from the warehouse. I guess I just didn't any USDOT-approved, load rated tire being all that shitty.

I guess we'll see....

#280945 - 12/07/04 04:45 PM Re: Nankang Wide Conqueror
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good Luck~ Let us know!!

#280946 - 12/07/04 04:52 PM Re: Nankang Wide Conqueror
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
It's really simple. BFG AT or MT, or Goodyear MT/R. Don't even bother trying to save money buying anything else.

#280947 - 13/07/04 09:34 AM Re: Nankang Wide Conqueror
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
It's really simple. BFG AT or MT, or Goodyear MT/R. Don't even bother trying to save money buying anything else.
I don't know if it's that cut and dry........

What about Pro-Comps or Bridgestones? The guys I know running those won't touch BFG with a ten foot pole! And what about offroad tires like Mickey Thompson or Interco. Their sidewalls are much stronger than a BFG or MT/R.

I really like the rim protectors on the KO's and the M/T's. The MT/R seems to be just about the best all-around tire out there. On the downside, the MT/R is prohibitively expensive, and the BFG's sidewalls don't seem to be any stronger than any other light truck tire. My "passenger car" Long Trails have seen a lot of rocky and talus trails where I've seen people changing their slashed BFG KO's or M/T's. MT/R's, however are tires I see on the trails all the time, but rarely, if ever see sidewall tears. On a side note, the Nankangs I ordered definitely seem to have thicker sidewalls than the Dunlop RT's I originally tried to get.

Personally, seems to me most of trail situations come down to the skills of the driver, anyway. Whether someone is trying to get over an obstacle, or avoid puncturing a sidewall, it will come down to which line is picked and how careful the driver is being.

I've already ordered the Nankangs; I guess I'm stuck with them. We'll see whether or not this turns out to be a good deal.

Wish me luck!

#280948 - 13/07/04 11:30 AM Re: Nankang Wide Conqueror
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nankang is Yokohama's house brand. They are decent tires, not total crap.

#280949 - 14/07/04 02:13 AM Re: Nankang Wide Conqueror
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by IamThFEAR:
Nankang is Yokohama's house brand. They are decent tires, not total crap.
Yeah, it's a branch from yoko's, but it's the poor quality version....for example, have you ever seen permanant pens that resembles the sharpies permanant pens??I have..I bought a set of them thinking I got a great deal...when I opened it up, I noticed that the tip stuck out really long--"that's odd" i thought....then I carefully look at the pen and compared it to the real Sharpie...damn the thing is it's a trick...the fake pen was made in china and the font of the word Sharpie was a little different...And Also the pen work like crap..

Jeffw...is there anyway you could exchange those tires with something else???
If I were you I'd really think twice about having those tires on a trail...It's like trusting your life to a .45 Lalama 1911 instead of a Les Baer combat 1911. [Huh?]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal