2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#281608 - 30/10/04 05:39 PM Snow tire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Simple question, what is the best snow tire?

#281609 - 30/10/04 06:58 PM Re: Snow tire
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Its not a simple question...there are variables.

Its like what's the best car?

What's the best gun?

Depends upon your objectives and terrain.

Can you use studded tires where you are? Can you put up with the handling compromises?

Are you concerned with deep off road snow, or hard plowed snow, or ice, or hard pack?

No one tire does "The Best" on all of these...some might kick ass on one, and suck on another...

So - define what you really want.

(Tire Rack...the clicky banner place, floating above us in this section of the forum,....has a tire comparison feature...plug in a size and type of tire...and they can list all the tires that meet your criteria...and then you can read reviews written by people that have those tires already...might be relevent to your question)

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#281610 - 30/10/04 07:25 PM Re: Snow tire
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
I'm crazy about the BFG AT/KO. "snowflake" signed, ready and willing for every type of snow and ice I've encountered so far.

#281611 - 31/10/04 08:11 AM Re: Snow tire
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Yup, short of a dedicated winter tire, the BFG ATs do a fantastic job in the snow on the road.

Otherwise, SEARCH around here, every fall there is a thread or three about snow/winter tires. Every time, you'll find mention of the Bridgestone Winter Dueler (Blizzak) as the most common winter tire suggestion.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#281612 - 31/10/04 02:01 PM Re: Snow tire
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
when i worked at a performance driving school we rented an ice rink and tried a couple of differant offerings including studded snow tires. the michelin artic alpine's did the best. take it or leave it.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#281613 - 01/11/04 12:41 AM Re: Snow tire
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't think Michelin has a snow tire for an SUV, but yeah those Arctic Alpins are a good tire.

I would suggest either the Bridgestone Winter Dueler or the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT if you are looking for a dedicated winter tire for snow and ice driving. Either of these tires should be available in an appropriate size for your Xterra and will provide exceptional winter traction.

#281614 - 16/11/04 07:42 AM Re: Snow tire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Wakeboarder91:
Simple question, what is the best snow tire?
On-road or off-road?

Hard-pack or deep powder?

The Bridgestone winter duelers or revos are both great snow tires. But in deep powder, some siped mudders is where it's at!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal