shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#282081 - 13/10/01 06:03 AM Good Year MTR
Anonymous
Unregistered

This thread is meant to raise the awareness of the Good Year MTR tire more than anything else. It seems the TrXus is discussed a lot but almost nothing is said about the GY MTR. A few of us are running them and we are extremely satisfied with it. Excellent traction, excellent wear and awsome, beefy looks! You will pay a little more for it but you do get an awsome set of meats out of it. If you are shopping around for new tires, check them out. No I don't work for GY, I am just quite happy with them and wait to share the wealth smile

#282082 - 13/10/01 08:51 AM Re: Good Year MTR
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
The Goodyear MTR is the most expensive tire on the market. The TrXus are a bargain, quiet, excellent offroad traction, and excellent onroad traction with its siping. That is why it is such a popular tire thus far. On the other hand, no one has an idea of expected mileage.

#282083 - 13/10/01 09:40 AM Re: Good Year MTR
IggyB Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
I checked out the GY's for my Frontier and they were the priciest of all.

GY MTR's- $225 Can
SS radials - $195 Can

I just got 31" BFG MT-K/M for $165 Can, about $105 US. Will be testing them in the boonies next weekend. They hum a bit but it's like music to my ears.

#282084 - 13/10/01 12:30 PM Re: Good Year MTR
Ag_xterra Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
i expect to have my mtr's at the end of the month. 32x11.50x15. i'll post my impressions soon.

#282085 - 13/10/01 07:03 PM Re: Good Year MTR
Meeklo Offline

Loc: Toronto/Thornhill
Quote:
Originally posted by Ag_xterra:
i expect to have my mtr's at the end of the month. 32x11.50x15. i'll post my impressions soon.

I've been running 31x10.5x15 MTR's with very slight rubbing in the rear wheel wells during offroading.

If you do go with 32x11.50 let me know the results (a part of me regrets not ordering this size).

Meeklo
All rights reserved to use whatever weapon I choose. - M.DSantos

#282086 - 13/10/01 09:52 PM Re: Good Year MTR
93 ZJ 5.2 Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
I've had my MT/R's for about 6 months now. They ar a SUPER tire, not only on the trail but for driving in general.
They seem to be holding up well, a little bit behind my old Scorpions AT's, but very still very well for a tire with such a soft compound.
On the trail, I feel that you were wirth the $$$. Excellent grip when aired down and surefooted lateral traction. Sidewalls are firstrate, very tough and forgiving. Unsurpassed on rocks.
Downside, others have stated that if not properly rotated, they wear unusually fast. Also, some feel as though the cost is too high, obviously.
Overall worth it if you got the money.

#282087 - 14/10/01 07:09 AM Re: Good Year MTR
Mel A. Offline

Loc: Texas
The Goodyear MT/R's are great tires. But they are expensive. Remember, these tires are not mud type tires, they are maximum traction tires like the BFG Trac-Edge, Dunlop Radial Rover RT or Big O Big Foot XT. Meaning that, they are generally good at everything they do, including mud. They should also be good in snow and rain because of the amount of biting edges it has. Siping the center blocks would make everything about the tire better. In a recent aggressive tire test including 3 different types of swampers, the GY MT/R's finished 3rd out of 9 tires. I believe that the new BFG Mud terrain KM's would be a better choice. The 3 ply sidewall is a little thicker than the one in the GY's. The tread is also slightly deeper. The big advantage though is the "diggerlugz" feature on the new BFG tires. The sidewall should have much better traction than the GY MTR. Also the BFG are on average $20 cheaper a tire than the GY.

Mel A.
1995 Land Rover Discovery 5-speed w/ lots of stuff

#282088 - 14/10/01 01:03 PM Re: Good Year MTR
Ag_xterra Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
i dont think the BFG sidewalls are any thicker or any better than the GY's. in an insert taken from the outdoor wire's review of the MTR, they said this:
"The infamous BFG TriGuard sidewall uses a tough three-ply sidewall construction. You can't just count sidewall plies to see how tough a tire is - many tough industrial tires use a single, very tough sidewall ply. The new Wrangler MT/R Dura-Wall sidewall uses a three ply construction where the individual plies are laid so the cords cross each other instead of all running in the in the same direction. This means that it is harder for an object to penetrate the sidewalls or cut through them."

personally i would take 2 thick swamper plies over the 3 BFG plies any day.

in price comparison new BFG MT/KM on tire rack run $138 in the 32x11.50x15 and the MTR's run $148. i'm going to invest that extra $10 per tire on what i believe to be a far superior product. of course this is my opinion and i am open to any other comments people may have.

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: Ag_xterra ]

#282089 - 14/10/01 02:39 PM Re: Good Year MTR
93 ZJ 5.2 Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
The "digger lugs" found on the BFG are still not a aggressive as the siding on the MT/R. They are the exact same as found on the BFG AT's, and if you think that those are as aggressive as the GY's, you should take a second look.

In terms of traction in the rain, the MT/R does not do that well, at least on paved roads. Additionally, I have heard that they do well in the snow as posted on the Tirerack.com evaluation page.

In regards the new KO MT, I can't wait to see them on the trail and how they match up agian the MT/R and the old MT.

#282090 - 24/10/01 10:25 PM Re: Good Year MTR
jawilly20 Offline

Loc: Nooksack, WA, USA
Just my opinion from selling these tires....The Goodyears are quieter, the sidewall is thicker and most of the time I would (or you can talk the seller into) selling at the same price as the BFG. I really have no opinion, but prefer the GY's.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal