shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#284708 - 07/12/04 07:19 PM Need to trim...?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys, just got 265/70/16 BFG AT's put on and i love them but i need to do some trimming, its raining and it is night here so I have not been able to check what it is that is rubbing when i do tight turns like backing around in driveways and all. But I have searched and didn't get a great answer, what exactly am I looking to trim here, most importantly what should i use to trim it with? I am going to take off the mudflaps anyways because of snow build up and all but i think it will require some front bumper trimming cause the lights shake a bit when it rubs which is my guess its rubbing agaisnt front. Thanks for the help guys.

#284709 - 07/12/04 07:56 PM Re: Need to trim...?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
You want to cut a strip of plastic where the mud flaps screws mounted the flaps...just the front wheel wells rear edge.

This is someone else's trim, but the pic was handy...

A one inch wide strip should do it, right at the edge where the back of the tire swings though on turns....I did that for 275/70/16's years back, so it should be fine for your smaller 265/70's befoe I had any lift.

I had no trimming needed at the front of the well...the vibs might be because the fenders were being strummed by the tire contact at their rear.

I have 33x12.5's on now, and I haven't had to re-trim yet. (BL+SL helped)

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#284710 - 07/12/04 08:05 PM Re: Need to trim...?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I'd say turn the wheels to full lock (or do whatever you're doing when you get the rubbing) and then get out and look at where the tire is contacting (or almost contacting) the plastic... THAT's where you need to trim smile

#284711 - 07/12/04 09:19 PM Re: Need to trim...?
Anonymous
Unregistered

you shouldnt need to trim with the size 265/70/16, or did you mean 265/75/16??

i just took my mudflaps off, hell the way the fender is shaped, from the side/back, it just looks like i have smaller mudflaps. probally gonna go ahead andd take off the rear set too, so it looks the same as the front,

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal