2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#288504 - 11/07/02 06:05 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
dmolavi Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
is there a way someone could get their hands on the '02 rear wiper motor assembly (shop, etc) and just bench test it on that before tearing apart the rear hatch of your X?

dm

Got a question? You used to be able to ask Brent , but not anymore...

#288505 - 11/07/02 07:41 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
intron Offline

Loc: South Carolina
electroken,

ah.. i get it now..that makes sense and seems like the easiest way to do it. let me know what you come up with and maybe i can convince my wife (we all have to answer to someone) to let me install it. thanks.

#288506 - 11/07/02 09:19 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by Dariush Molavi:
is there a way someone could get their hands on the '02 rear wiper motor assembly (shop, etc) and just bench test it on that before tearing apart the rear hatch of your X?

dm
The device will attach to the wiring harness under the dash. There will be 3 connections:
1) power
2) ground
3) a connection to the blue/yellow wire on the rear wiper switch.

This all assumes that the 2002 rear wiper switch is the same as in my 2000. If it isn't, someone should let me know soon.

#288507 - 11/07/02 12:58 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
NIXTERRA Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Just for your information....

I used to have a '98 Pathfinder, before I switched to my X.

In the Path, they had a three way (off, int, and full on) If there is some way of taking that switch, and using the delay realy or motor from the Path and hooking it up to the X...

I'd be all over that!!

- Nik

#288508 - 11/07/02 08:57 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
intron Offline

Loc: South Carolina
electroken,

well... i went under there and tried to take a picture but it looks like hell. you can still go see it if you want:

http://home.sc.rr.com/mroberts/wiper.jpg

It isn't worth putting inline and wasting everyones bandwidth.

the bottom line is that there appeared to be 3 wires into the top of the switch and three to the bottom. there was a pink one. a blue one with a reddish line down it and a black one (that i think had white polkadots but it is late and i could just be seeing things in the dark)

i hope this garbled bunch of info helps some.

#288509 - 16/07/02 07:54 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Staubers Offline

Loc: Summerville SC
Went to the dealer today..was told instruction manual and window sticker is a miss-print confused No intermittent option on the 2002 model..ElectroKen, help!!

#288510 - 16/07/02 09:23 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

I have several versions of the circuit drawn up. The versions differ only in the way that the operator contols the delay. Which should I make first?

1) A fixed delay with only a small switch to activate or deactivate the circuit. The delay interval would be set by the installer at the time the box was installed. The 2000 X has a fixed delay.

2) A variable delay with a single knob to both turn the unit on and set the delay (like the volume control on an old car radio).

3) A variable delay with a small switch to activate/deactivate the unit and a separate knob to control the delay. This allows the delay setting to remain set when turning it on or off. It will also look more cluttered.

It would also be a plus if anyone can get me a 2002 wiring diagram for the rear wiper circuit. Without it I have to make some assumptions that may be wrong.

#288511 - 16/07/02 11:08 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Staubers Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ElectroKen:
I have several versions of the circuit drawn up. The versions differ only in the way that the operator contols the delay. Which should I make first?

1) A fixed delay with only a small switch to activate or deactivate the circuit. The delay interval would be set by the installer at the time the box was installed. The 2000 X has a fixed delay.

2) A variable delay with a single knob to both turn the unit on and set the delay (like the volume control on an old car radio).

3) A variable delay with a small switch to activate/deactivate the unit and a separate knob to control the delay. This allows the delay setting to remain set when turning it on or off. It will also look more cluttered.

It would also be a plus if anyone can get me a 2002 wiring diagram for the rear wiper circuit. Without it I have to make some assumptions that may be wrong.
I would opt for option 1, all I'm looking for is a sweep about every 10 seconds. I would not even want a continuous motion at all. As far as the diagram..I will do a little hunting laugh

#288512 - 16/07/02 11:52 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
dmolavi Offline

ditto, a 10 second sweep would be nice.

#288513 - 17/07/02 06:22 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
lboogie Offline

Loc: FlaVAtown
I'll double check my '02 X. I could swear mine is intermitent, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

I know for a fact that it does have a delay. I got mine back in August of last year. Wonder if they made some changes in the units they produced this year?

I'll post my findings.

How do you know where I'm at when you haven't been where I've been, understand where I'm coming from?

#288514 - 17/07/02 07:23 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
x_jay Offline

Loc: Medina, OH
Its good to know I am not the only one who hates the constant wiping. I always just turn it on for one wipe when i need it, becuase the constant wiping drives me crazy, and I have never been in weather that requires constant wiping. Its my only fault with the X. You could easily put a delay switch on the power wire, I am just not sure if that would be good for the wiper's motor. Well I guess I will just keep flipping the switch on and off.

#288515 - 17/07/02 08:05 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
Why would putting a delay-relay be bad for the motor? It's seems as though it would be the same as you clicking the switch on and off manually. I'll try to locate such a relay. Question is, what is the amperage going to the motor?

#288516 - 18/07/02 02:56 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

It can't be too bad for the motor - the front wiper is already intermittent.

Our rear wiper motor is the same as most have been for decades. To start a wipe, you complete the ground side of the circuit. After the wipe starts, a contact within the motor completes the ground side of the circuit until the wiper reaches its home position again. The internal contact then opens.

All any delay circuit needs to do is to ground the motor lead for about a half-second to start the process. The simple circuit I am building grounds the wire for 0.5 seconds and then opens it for 9.5 seconds. The motor does the rest.

#288517 - 18/07/02 12:47 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

Progress!

The software for the delay circuit is done (I think). I'm using a microcontroller because it's smaller and cheaper now than any of the old analog approaches. Check out the massive computing power:

4 MHz clock
0.001 Meg ROM
0.0001 Meg RAM

Yeah, baby.

#288518 - 18/07/02 10:24 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
*paul Offline

Loc: New Zealand
You mean the '555 is dead?

#288519 - 19/07/02 02:57 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by *paul:
You mean the '555 is dead?
The good old '555 timer IC is still alive and well. The oldest IC I own is a NE555 from 1973. It's a great part but for longer time delays the capacitors used with it get large and inaccurate.

I stopped using 555s as timers when the price of an 8-pin microcontroller with an internal oscillator came down to $1. I'm just a digital kind of guy. cool

#288520 - 23/07/02 10:16 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
dmolavi Offline

how's this gizmo coming along?

#288521 - 23/07/02 05:29 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

I finished the first delay circuit today. The first goes to Staubers, the first to volunteer as a guinea pig. The first one is a freebie - we're not even sure that the 2002 wiring will accomodate it yet.

It is a small box, 1.7" X 1.5" X 0.9" with 3 wires. It will come set to 10 seconds but can be adjusted anywhere from 1 second to 20 seconds with a small screwdriver.

#288522 - 23/07/02 06:23 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
If it works, will it be mass marketed?

#288523 - 23/07/02 06:52 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

Sure, if "mass marketed" means a couple dozen. I'd go nuts building any more than that. [Freak]

I'll also make the schematic and parts list available to anyone that wants to build their own.

#288524 - 24/07/02 02:12 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Electroken strikes again! Dude, you ARE the man.

Sven, let's dig into yer truck over a couple beers, maybe next weekend?

#288525 - 24/07/02 05:26 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Staubers Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TatsuoX:
Electroken strikes again! Dude, you [b]ARE the man.

Sven, let's dig into yer truck over a couple beers, maybe next weekend?[/b]
I could do that, first I should contact Electroken and see how this item will get to my house...

Edited to add, sent PM to Electroken. Tats I'm guessing you and I will be doing a little electrical work 3 or 4 August BBQ again?

#288526 - 24/07/02 11:25 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
The 4th sounds excellent to me!(I'll definitely get that day off.)

BBQ also sounds excellent again! More chowpau(sp)? :p

#288527 - 26/07/02 07:44 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
lboogie Offline

Loc: FlaVAtown
Quote:
Originally posted by lboogie:
I'll double check my '02 X. I could swear mine is intermitent, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

I know for a fact that it does have a delay. I got mine back in August of last year. Wonder if they made some changes in the units they produced this year?

I'll post my findings.
OK so it rained today. I turned on the rear wiper and sure enough a 10 second delay between wipes. For me that's intermitent, I'm happy with it.

How do you know where I'm at when you haven't been where I've been, understand where I'm coming from?

#288528 - 30/07/02 02:12 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Staubers Offline

Just wanted to say I received the delay today, ElectroKen is the man. Install looks simple, Tats and I should get this done easy this Sunday. Update on Monday...

Would like to add that this little black box looks extreemly professional...Some high quality stuff.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal