shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#288579 - 24/08/02 02:22 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Gold Rush Offline

Loc: Franklin, NH
My rear wiper switch is a "rocker" switch with the washer side on top and the wiper side on bottom. With ElectroKen's delay installed as he instructed here is the way it operates:
When the wiper side is pushed it stays pushed and the wiper cycles initially and repeats every ten seconds. The washer side can be pushed at any time and the washer squirts and the wiper cycles once with each push of the switch. The only trick is that the washer switch must be held just until the wiper kicks in before you release. Then if you want the wiper to keep going every ten seconds you switch the wiper side (bottom) back on........Seems fine to me. Much much better than having the wiper running constantly as Nissan built it.
My X is a 2002 and I believe that it was built in August 2001 judging by all the stickers on all the major parts of the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

#288580 - 24/08/02 04:53 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
dandingo Offline

After testing the wiper delay this afternoon, here are my results:

Wiper toggled: One pass every 10 seconds

Wiper/wash pushed and held: Water is deployed and wiper passes every 10 seconds.

The wiper 10-second delay works great, but when you want to wash your rear window the water simply streams down the window and onto your bumper, 10 seconds later the wiper activates. I don't know if it would be possible to have varying speeds depending on which way the button was toggled, but that would be ideal. Ken any ideas?

BTW, I just wired to the fuse box to test, but where can I find a switched 12V source under there? It all looks like colorful spaghetti to me. confused

#288581 - 24/08/02 05:38 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
There is something different with the 2002 wiring. If it was wired like my 2000 the delay box would not even be in the circuit when the switch was in the wash/wipe position.

I think I understand the change that Nissan made. If it's what I think they did, there is one less wire run to the rear wiper motor. If this is the case there is no easy way to make the 2002 rear wiper act exactly like a 2000.

Doesn't anyone have a 2002 service manual? All of the questions would be answered very quickly. I will not make any more of these delays until I see a 2002 wiring diagram.

I will continue to try to figure this out. Sometimes R&D projects go like this, and always when important facts are missing.

NO ONE WITH ONE OF THESE BOXES SHOULD PAY FOR IT UNTIL THIS IS FIXED. If it turns out that it can't be fixed I don't want to have to send back everyone's money.

#288582 - 24/08/02 05:50 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Gold Rush Offline

Dandingo,

Splice the red wire from the delay box to the red w/black stripe wire just under the fuse panel. Don't cut the red/black stripe wire. Just use one of those splice connecters that clamp onto the existing wire.
As for the washer, if you push the wash button repeatedly you will get a squirt and sweep with each push of the button.

#288583 - 24/08/02 07:12 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
dandingo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gold Rush:
Dandingo,

... if you push the wash button repeatedly you will get a squirt and sweep with each push of the button.
Gold Rush-

Thank for the tip on the power source, I will check it out. Unfortunately, my wash/wipe switch doesn't behave the way you describe. If I push and hold the wash/wipe, the water starts coming out, but the first pass of the wiper does not occur until 10 seconds after holding the wash/wipe toggle. It sounds as if yours performs a wipe when you initially push the toggle.

Edited to add: I found the power source you were talking about, thanks again. Also, my mistake on the wash/wipe toggle...The wiper does pass once when you first push and hold the switch and every 10 seconds thereafter.

#288584 - 25/08/02 06:17 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

This project can be saved but I need some brave souls with 2002s to perform a daring test. The X must have unmodified wiper wiring with no delay widget connected. Here's the information I need:

Remove your rear wiper switch and disconnect the harness from it. Turn your ignition on.

With a jumper lead, ground the blue wire in the wiper connector. Tell me:
a) Is the rear washer running?
b) Is the rear wiper running?
Now disconnect the jumper.

Again with a jumper lead, ground the blue/yellow wire in the wiper connector. Tell me:
a) Is the rear washer running?
b) Is the rear wiper running?
Disconnect the jumper.

Please post the results of this test along with the build date of your X, which is in the driver's door jamb.

I will try to get someone a block from me to allow me to do the same test. Everyone say Hi to Wayne, a.k.a. lefty. He is in the XOC and has a yellow 2002 SE/SC. Doesn't talk much though... [Wave]

#288585 - 25/08/02 09:27 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
a) blue wire grounded has washer pump only running.
b) blue/yellow wire has wiper only running.

Build date of my X
(Feb 2002)

Hi Wayne! [Wave]

#288586 - 25/08/02 02:50 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
dmolavi Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
for those of us who already have the original box in place, will a fix be a simple one (ie take out the old box, put in a new)?

-dm

Got a question? You used to be able to ask Brent , but not anymore...

#288587 - 25/08/02 06:07 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

The new box will likely have 4 wires instead of 3. The 4th wire will monitor the state of the washer pump and disable the delay when the pump is active. I will build a couple of the new ones so they can be proven out before more are built. When I am totally sure that they work I will swap out a new box for anyone with the old one.

I'll be a bit more precise with the wiring instructions this time. Some of you got...well...creative.

#288588 - 26/08/02 04:36 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Staubers Offline

Loc: Summerville SC
All I can say it delivered as promised. A simple tapping of the washer button keeps the rear wiper on while in the "WASH" mode. I do not want a replacement. Electroken...it works as promised.

#288589 - 26/08/02 09:33 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Sven, you got mail! smile

#288590 - 26/08/02 09:38 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
dandingo Offline

After re-testing, I found that tapping the wash/wipe does work and that's good enough for me.

Payment on the way. Thanks again!

#288591 - 26/08/02 09:57 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

I'm still going to revise the box. Anyone with the old one can trade it in for a new one (for free) at any time. All of the new ones will be "smarter".

#288592 - 26/08/02 10:03 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Staubers Offline

Loc: Summerville SC
Quote:
Originally posted by TatsuoX:
Sven, you got mail! smile
Will check when I get home, doing a bad thing, on this board at work laugh

#288593 - 26/08/02 03:16 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Devin Offline

Loc: Arvada, CO
just got mine today. was looking through the thread to find any tips and hints before installing and came across the new issue. i guess i'll send mine back to ken and wait for the intermittent wiper widget v2.0. wink

also, i'm a bit challenged when it comes to this stuff. the install instructions say to connect the red wire to "any switched 12 volt source." unfortunately this means nothing to me. laugh anybody got specific how-to instructions?

ken,
this is a great mod and you are so the man. i can't wait for the newer box. i'm sending mine back today for the upgrade along with a check. you can hang on to the check until i get it installed with a thumbs up if you want. if it works, deposit it, if it doesn't, tear up the check. i kinda doubt the latter will be the case.

#288594 - 26/08/02 05:46 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Steve49589 Offline

Loc: Windsor Locks, CT USA
Ken,
We got ours today. Unfortuantely my brothers truck will not be available as a test platform until at least the second weekend of Sept. (He's moving).
I'll hold onto the VERY professional looking mod that you sent me until I hear more concerning the 4 wire set up.
My X is a 2001 so I can't do your test on mine frown

Thanks again!

#288595 - 26/08/02 05:58 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Gold Rush Offline

ElectroKen,

I'll keep Version 1 as is.

Wiper on: Wiper sweeps every 10 seconds....no problem.

Washer button held: water squirts, wiper sweeps.... hold again....water squirts, wiper sweeps....hold again....water squirts, wiper sweeps....no problem.

#288596 - 27/08/02 06:46 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

I believe that version 2 of the box is ready. Two of them should be going out on Friday and we'll see how they do.

I had a bit of a brain-fart today while testing one of these and vaporized the thing. It was truly spectacular. [Freak]

#288597 - 28/08/02 08:47 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Xterradon Offline

What do you mean by spectacular? What happened? Sparks? Smoke?

#288598 - 29/08/02 02:57 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

I was testing a 2nd version module with no box. I use a gelled electrolyte battery for the testing, sort of a mini-Optima. These batteries can deliver hundreds of amps for a few seconds when they have to.

So, I hook up all of the test leads (unlike in the X there are no fuses here) and I'm ready to rock. Except I hooked up the test leads wrong.

The first thing the module is supposed to do when power is applied is start a wipe. The first thing this mis-wired one did was to try to pass 100 amps through the output transistor, which instantly exploded. Nothing nuclear, but kind of like a small firecracker. eek

This sort of thing happens all the time in my business (at work and at home). My wife and kids no longer notice the smaller bangs. Don't worry because nobody will get this particular module. It can't happen in your Xterra either because everything is fused.

#288599 - 03/09/02 03:24 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Xterradon Offline

I was never worried Ken wink

#288600 - 03/09/02 07:47 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
GrnXnham Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Ken

I got version 2 in the mail today and I quickly installed it. I am declaring version 2 a success.

Button pushed up = continuous wiping and washing.

Button pushed down = wiping every 10 seconds.

I will put version 1, along with my $20, in the mail back to you tomorrow.

Thanks for a cool mod, Ken!

Dave

#288601 - 04/09/02 06:18 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Steve49589 Offline

Loc: Windsor Locks, CT USA
Ken,
Let me know when you'll be sending out version #2 will ya? Hopefully we'll be able to get it installed right away.
Thanks,
Steve

#288602 - 04/09/02 08:41 AM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
ElectroKen Offline

Steve,

V2 will be in the mail on Friday. As soon as I hear that the first four of them are behaving I can get going on the dozen or so that I owe people.

#288603 - 04/09/02 06:27 PM Re: Intermittent rear wiper
Xterradon Offline

Ken, I am happy to say that my Xterra now sports an intermittant rear wiper. It works as it should. Thank you very much for your time and effort with this. I'll mail you a check tomorrow.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal