2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#288950 - 30/06/03 12:26 PM keeping stock head unit and adding an amp?
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi,
my friend has a 2001 exterra with the 6 disc in-dash head-unit. he wants to add an amplifier (or two). i think we need an line-out converter. does that mean we will lose use of the back speakers? any suggestions? info?
thanx!!!

#288951 - 01/07/03 03:17 PM Re: keeping stock head unit and adding an amp?
Canadian5150 Offline

your are correct. The stock stereo does not come with RCA pre outs, so you will need a line converter.

You will not necessarly loose your rear speakers, I have seen guys just split the converter off the rear wires. Not that I would suggest it.

What is your friend trying to get by adding an amp or two???

#288952 - 07/07/03 07:25 AM Re: keeping stock head unit and adding an amp?
Anonymous
Unregistered

this is really confusing..Why would your "friend" wants to put 2 amps in the car. The system for Xterra doesnt even need an amp cause it sounds good. If ur gonna get an amp, get a sub to go with it. Pointless for amp alone buddy

#288953 - 07/07/03 08:01 AM Re: keeping stock head unit and adding an amp?
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
OrangeX is incorrect. The '01 SE has no quality whatsoever above 1/2 volume. I added an amp and things improved 1000%. I purchased an am that had direct speaker +/- inputs though, so I didn't need the crossovers.

The question about 1 or 2 amps is probably due to the fact that most smaller amps are two channel amps so he'd need one for the front and one for the rear speaker pairs. I bought one two-channel amp for the front speakers (upgraded to Polk's finest) that also has an output for the subwoofer (Bazooka bass tube). I'm happy. I guess I could upgrade the rear speakers and amp them too but I can't imagine that I'd want any more volume than I have right now.

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#288954 - 07/07/03 10:07 AM Re: keeping stock head unit and adding an amp?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You must have a really bad system to begin with. I am a member of the PAXterra Club and everyone agrees that a stock system is amazing. But all of us up here have the Rockford Fosgate upgrade, so when we listen to music, it will always sound amazing. Honestly tho, and Xterra isnt for music..its for off roading..buy a winch or something, not 2 amps

#288955 - 07/07/03 11:04 AM Re: keeping stock head unit and adding an amp?
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
He asked about the '01 unit. It does NOT have the Rockford Fosgate upgrade and I can tell you from experience that the system definately lacks power and quality.

So what if the Xterra is for offroad? What's wrong with driving offroad with some good tunes? The last time I checked, you could get a decent amp for less than $100. Can you get a winch and replacement bumper for that?

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#288956 - 07/07/03 11:27 AM Re: keeping stock head unit and adding an amp?
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I'm sorry but why isn't an Xterra for music???
I off-road alot and I love my tunes while doing it so whats wrong with wanting to upgrade it??

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal