shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#289091 - 18/05/02 03:39 PM FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
Lifeboat Offline

Loc: Orygun
Just picked up the Mobile model for 62% off. The web site still says $79.99 but I got it in the store for $29.99. looks like most of their FRS models are on sale until 5/26.

#289092 - 18/05/02 05:10 PM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
it says 79.99 on that link. Is that better than a handheld FRS?

#289093 - 18/05/02 07:08 PM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
Lifeboat Offline

The link states the normal price (don't know why), but I got mine in the store today for $29.99. The shelf tag said it was on sale until 5/26. I don't know if this is a national sale or not, but I would assume so.

I have never used FRS before, but the potential benefits I see with the mobile unit:

No batteries
Possibly better antenna
Possibly better range due to antenna location
Full transmit power, 500mW
External mic and speaker jacks
It's cool

Someone here did a permanent install with one of these, as I recall they were happy with it. I'll be getting a handheld FRS as well, and probably a CB in the future. This was one of those "It's too cheap to pass up" purchases.

#289094 - 20/05/02 11:52 AM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I just nabbed one. Pretty nice. No more dropping the handheld in the seat behind me or in the floor etc. No more batteries. Plus I finally have one with the subcodes.

Me likes,
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#289095 - 20/05/02 12:29 PM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
I personally have done 6 mile transmissions with theese radios. I have heard of some people getting up to 10 miles out of them though. That is far better than any handheld. With the amount you save on batteries it will pay for itself shortly too. cool

#289096 - 20/05/02 01:30 PM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
OffroadX Offline

I use NiMH batteries in my handhelds...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#289097 - 20/05/02 02:16 PM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
olebiker Offline

Loc: Novato
Thanks for the heads up on this sale. I also ran out and bought a unit for 29.99.
Rock on! [Smoking]
Look at that Radio Shack stock climb!

#289098 - 21/05/02 04:26 AM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
I grabbed one too. The guy at Radio Shack didn't even know the thing was on sale. He was stunned when the $29.99 price came up on his tube.

#289099 - 21/05/02 06:22 AM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
DocRedX Offline

Loc: San Diego
X Guys and Gals,

We used this FRS model on our Mohave Road trip last month and they were GREAT!

The external antenna really helped the range and no worry about eating up batteries was a big plus. :p

This IS the best FRS set I have ever used.

See ya on the trail (on your FRS),
Doc

#289100 - 21/05/02 08:57 AM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
Steel_City_X Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
I picked one up last night.

Has anyone split the antenna cable to install a connector? I would like to install a connector so that I can disconnect the cord from the unit on the roof.

What all is in the cable, before I cut it?

Help is appreciated.

Todd
First Xterra IFS or SAS up Moab Rim...#2 up Mt. Blanca.
African Adventure pictures....
http://homepage.mac.com/ahlenius/

#289101 - 21/05/02 09:34 AM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
roofgoat Offline

Loc: IL
I'm not familiar with these, does it get CB channels and you can use it with a walkie talkie on a private channel? How are people using these?

#289102 - 21/05/02 11:34 AM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
OffroadX Offline

FRS is not compatible with CB.

Most FRS are the handheld "walkie talkie" style. This one is designed to be mounted in a vehicle.

FRS has 14 channels, and many offer 38 interference eliminator codes that you can enable to screen out others not on the same channel/code pair. Anyone can hear you, but you won't hear them. Useful in areas with a lot of FRS users, you have 532 different combinations to choose from.

Brent

#289103 - 21/05/02 11:48 AM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
SWXterraClub Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas USA
Quote:
Originally posted by axle59:
I personally have done 6 mile transmissions with theese radios. I have heard of some people getting up to 10 miles out of them though.
While you will get better distance than the hand held unit I seriously doubt that you are getting more then 3 miles with only 500mw @ 460mhz.
UNLESS you are in complete line of site.

My moble Ham rig without line of site can only do about 15-20 miles on a full 50W (and that is at a more optimal 144mhz frequency). However with line of site I can get some crazy distance.

#289104 - 21/05/02 03:13 PM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
Lifeboat Offline

Glad some folks were able to take advantage of this deal.

If anyone has experience making a disconnect plug for this critter I would like to hear about it.

#289105 - 22/05/02 01:19 PM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
I don't know about any disconnect plugs for the thing...but do know there are a whole lot of wires running in the insulation. I think it may have up to eleven wires in the cable. The base of the antenna is actually the radio itself. The handset is just that...a microphone.

I have used mine for months now and it does far surpass handhelds in distance. I have now become the "message transmitter" on long caravans because I can clearly hear all members in the line. An example is on this last OBX trip, I was back at the house and heard the some of the other X folks talking about one member who had stopped at a parts store for a bulb, who they saw as they passed by. That parts store was 4.25 mile from where I was at, according to my GPS.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#289106 - 22/05/02 01:39 PM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
Viper X Offline

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
Here's some info on the custom installation of this FRS:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=38;t=000601

Hey Snoopy any chance we can see those pics again? Or did photopoint destroy them like everything else?

#289107 - 23/05/02 02:50 AM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
Cool think I'll Pick one up thanks!! Now where will I plug it in? Hmm can I add a 3rd spliter on that outlet? hehe

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#289108 - 23/05/02 08:05 AM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
OffroadX Offline

While I was at Radio Shack I got one of these :

Brent

#289109 - 23/05/02 08:35 AM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
I connected one of those a while ago, behind my console, tapped power from the spare fuse, and added a kill switch.. got my laptop specific invertor and GPS plugged into it, so only power it when needed.

#289110 - 23/05/02 12:12 PM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
Steel_City_X Offline

Snoopy / others-
It appears that all the cables between power point and base are low power, would a "molex" connector 12 pin work? I have seen these used in audio cabinets between equipment and a patch panel, so I think this might work. Just a little solder work.

Intention:
I would like to have a short cable off of the base/radio that can pass through sunroof, and run the cables up through the pillar/roof.

Thoughts?

Todd

#289111 - 24/05/02 10:07 AM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
Steel_City_X Offline

Tested the radio last night. From across town, 19,000 feet (horizontally) the call signal works. I checked this morning with the GIS system at work. I bet between 2 of the same, the range could be this large.

I think I'll be happy with this radio.

Todd

#289112 - 24/05/02 10:55 AM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
seamonkey Offline

Loc: Boerne, TX
I've got this model installed too.
It far surpasses the reach of the hand held and it looks good.

Offroad Pics

#289113 - 24/05/02 12:06 PM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
Viper X Offline

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
Seamonkey and or Snoopy, can you give a little bit more detailed instructions on how you did your custom installations?

#289114 - 24/05/02 12:38 PM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
seamonkey Offline

Loc: Boerne, TX
This is how I did mine. I had to pull down some of the headliner, remove interior panels and remove weather stripping. The ant. exited the truck via sunroof. The power plug is under the drivers seat where I installed another 12v outlet. It wasn't too diffucult, just required a lot of thinking before hand since you cant just snake a wire around. I had to put the mic in a sock and insert it where I needed it to go, since it is smaller than the ant.
Dont bother waiting for a different design. The FCC rules state that the FRS radio's antenna cannot be removable from the radio itself. The "radio" is actually in the ant. outside, the mic is technically just the controls. I thought about cutting and splicing if I couldn't have got it to work this way.
I know somebody here cut the cable to install it and then spliced it back together. I just cant remember who.

Offroad Pics

#289115 - 24/05/02 05:13 PM Re: FRS Radios on sale at Radio Shack
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I finally picked one of these up at our local RadioShit. No manual, no mic clip, no hardware, just the radio, no wonder they are in financial trouble.

Since no one at RadioShit has any clue about how water restant this thing is, I mounted it internally.
I mounted a small metal shelf in the back of the Xterra, and stuck the base on it. It has a clear view out the windows (except for the pillars), and is higher than if it was stuck on the roof of a car. Range seems fine, and we'll test it this weekend.

I'll post pictures next week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal