2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#291 - 07/04/07 11:33 AM Changing shocks....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whats up all?? I have read the comments about what type of shocks to get(billsteins), so I got that covered.Now is it easier than it looks to change them myself?? I have impact guns and all the tools I think, but I'll be doing this on the ground....ie..no lift. So should I put the truck up on 4 jackstands? And do I need to get the truck aligned afterwards,it tracks true now so I guess I don't.
thanks Andy

#292 - 07/04/07 01:47 PM Re: Changing shocks....
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
No jack stands nor impact gun needed, simple 1/2 socket wrench with the right socket (forgot size) is all you need. The rear sway bar gets in you way a bit I think (I removed mine years ago and didn't have to deal with it)

#293 - 07/04/07 01:48 PM Re: Changing shocks....
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
An oil filter strap wrench helps on the front ones.. wink

#294 - 07/04/07 02:33 PM Re: Changing shocks....
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
On mine there was a spot on the top of the fronts to stick in a hex key to prevent them from twisting while you unscrew 'em.

Oh - and no alignment required after shock replacement.

#295 - 07/04/07 02:52 PM Re: Changing shocks....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most shocks either have an allen key, 5mm I believe on Bilstiens, or a squared off top on the shock so you can get a Cresent wrench on there, I think that is what the stock shocks had. You hold the allen key or wrench while loosening the nut.

Replacing the shocks won't have any effect on the alignment. The rear shocks come right off and on sitting on the driveway. It is a lot easier to do the fronts by putting the front of the truck on a jackstand and removing the front tire. laugh

#296 - 07/04/07 08:23 PM Re: Changing shocks....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the input...seems cut and dry, now just gonna wait for some warmer temps!! Oh and another thing..anyone with other driving hobbies should check out my buddies site, slotcaraddicts.com. He also is a member here. Marginjoey also from morris county NJ cool

#297 - 07/04/07 11:15 PM Re: Changing shocks....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah taking off the front tires will make life so much easier. Ony some wrenches will be necessary. NOt sure what you would use an oil filter wrnch for uness it is a strap style to wiggle it off. I hopw that you order your Shocks frome SR ecause f you get a certainpart number from a diferent vendor, then your bushings are not going to be correct. Good luck man and et me know if I can help. Jacksands, maybe a hydraulic jack and some wrneches is all that you will need althought I totally recommend spaying the bolts with PBBlast and grabbing a BFH to tap the rears off. Good luck!-James

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal