2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#293888 - 11/07/03 10:39 AM Recommended CB Units
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey gang,

What CB Units/Antannae's do you recommend - I've seen a couple posts on here, however mainly for probs w/your units.

Thanks,
Paul

#293889 - 11/07/03 11:43 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
off2cjb Offline

Cobra

This is the one I plan on buying whenever I have the cash lying around for something vitually useless.

#293890 - 11/07/03 12:09 PM Re: Recommended CB Units
Xcited Offline

Loc: Guelph, Ontario, Canada (Eh!)
I have a Uniden Pro-520XL and I find it to be perfect for me. It's small and compact, has the features I needed and wasn't too expensive ($130 CDN). I am using an 8' whip antenna mounted to the ARB.

I find this unit like my X - everything I need, nothing I don't! laugh

For the CB I removed my ashtray, cut out the space a little larger and mounted the CB there.

I had the mic hanging from the rearview mirror for a while, but have since relocated it. I riveted the clip onto the steering column cover behind the ignition and have it there now. Works well for me!

Member: Toronto Area Rover Club (TARC)
Home Page: XterraXcursions

#293891 - 12/07/03 12:23 PM Re: Recommended CB Units
Chato Offline

Loc: Orange, Tx
I have a Uniden Pro510 XL amd friggin love it. It's about the size of a portable CD player (looks almost identical to the Uniden avove). It fits perfectly stuffed between the passenger seat and the cupholders. It's snug and doesn't get in the way of anything. My mic fits perfectly in the little cubby hole beside/below the ashtray. I have it plugged into the cigarette lighter so I can remove it quickly if I need to. As far as an antenna, I have an inexpensive Radio Shack magnetic mount. It works great for me because If I need to take it out, it takes all of 2 minutes. I get great reception and talk on it daily. I bought my CB used for 20 bucks too! I think it costs around 50 or so new.
Check it out:
http://radioproshop.com/unidencb/uniden510xl.htm

#293892 - 12/07/03 06:06 PM Re: Recommended CB Units
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool shot! I have the '03 with the cd/radio combo, so it's taking up most of the space there, and the look is different :-/ Anyone have suggestions for an '03 model? Will your unit still work in mine (ie mount it to the bottom)?

Thanks!

-paul

#293893 - 14/07/03 06:11 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
Xcited Offline

Loc: Guelph, Ontario, Canada (Eh!)
apocrates - I also had the stock double-din stereo set-up like yours (only I had the 2000 model). I got rid of it and picked up a new head unit and planned on mounting the CB directly below it (where you see the "pocket" in the pics above.) Then I thought I'd like to keep the pocket for extra storage space and that I didn't use the ashtray, so I decided to mount the way I did above.

As for yours, IF you wanted to go with a new aftermarket head unit/stereo you could then mount the CB under it in the extra space freed up. You could also mount it in your current set-up in the storage space you have free below your stock stereo, or many other locations...

A guy I know mounted his sideways onto the plastic on the left side of the center console (basically in the drivers side footwell) and said that works gret for him.

Basically just have a good look at whet areas you have available to you and decide where best to put it for you.
Member: Toronto Area Rover Club (TARC)
Home Page: XterraXcursions

#293894 - 14/07/03 06:56 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Got Firestik "no-ground" 4' and Uniden 78LWT (LTW.. dont have it in front of me right now) - will mount it tomorrow or on wednesday (whent antenna actually will arive).

as about mounting points - you can always replace your center console with decent one, and put thing in there.

I probably will do that, as Steelhorse got quite a space under front cup holders. I believe some of people here already done same with Cobra unit.

#293895 - 14/07/03 11:57 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can you post pic's after your install - I'm very curious to see what it looks like, and how hard it was to install.

Also, yes, I am looking at replacement head units, as the double din thing is huge, and not really my style. Just want to make sure that the CB will fit in the extra "din" slot wink

Thanks guys!

#293896 - 21/07/03 04:01 PM Re: Recommended CB Units
Anonymous
Unregistered

ttt

#293897 - 22/07/03 03:30 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
kev0153 Offline

Loc: Woodbridge, Virginia
I have an 03. I mounted mine on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. I have one of those Cobra 75s (I think) where all the guts are in the mic and you just have a small thingy to supply power. I pulled up the plastic cover that goes over the gear shift/transfer case lever area and mounted it under there. I cut a hole in the side of the plastic wall and ran the mic cord out there. I'll take some pictures when I get home today.

Kevin

#293898 - 22/07/03 06:07 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
Quote:
Originally posted by kev0153:
I have an 03. I mounted mine on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. I have one of those Cobra 75s (I think) where all the guts are in the mic and you just have a small thingy to supply power. I pulled up the plastic cover that goes over the gear shift/transfer case lever area and mounted it under there. I cut a hole in the side of the plastic wall and ran the mic cord out there. I'll take some pictures when I get home today.

Kevin
Photos please.

[Wave]

#293899 - 22/07/03 06:35 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I have this radio in my truck..
http://www.valcoelectronics.com/cb/c75wxst.htm

I mounted it under the drivers side seat and I have the mic part tucked under the seat when not in use and when I'm using it I rest in near the cupholders...

#293900 - 22/07/03 08:08 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd really like to put a CB in my truck. However, I am having issues with it not looking clean. I know, I'm anal. Suggestions? The hand mic CB looks pretty sharp. Did you guys run your wires out the doors or what? Like I said, I want it to be clean. I really think this is going to be my next mod though. Just gotta do a little research to figure out how to tune, install, ect.

#293901 - 22/07/03 08:59 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
Anonymous
Unregistered

Understand the desire to keep this thing looking clean. While I'm all in favor of the clean look, I'd like the communication abilities the CB brings. My concern is with the antannae - I dunno that I want a 4 ft one stickin out... i may have to tether that beyotch down.

Let's get some pics goin up in here folks - what units do you have, and what's it look like (inside & out)??

#293902 - 22/07/03 02:04 PM Re: Recommended CB Units
kev0153 Offline

Ok here are some pics. CB unit is a Cobra 75. Truck is a 2003.

Here is my Antenna. 4 ft Firestick 2. Yeah, it's not grounded very well but it works for the short distances I need it for. It's mounted on my Loadwarrior with a universal mirror mount.

I mount the mic next to the steering wheel on the dash.

I mount the control box (silver box) under the plastic cover where the shift lever and transfer case lever are. There is a nice ground under there and I get power from the fuse block.

I run the cable out the side of the plastic wall thing along the drivers side seat.

#293903 - 22/07/03 02:09 PM Re: Recommended CB Units
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice pics! Thanks!

Anyone else able to add some? [Smoking]

#293904 - 22/07/03 07:55 PM Re: Recommended CB Units
Anonymous
Unregistered

kev... how far are you from Bowie MD? A case of beer if you help me install a CB like yours. You did an excellent job. laugh

#293905 - 23/07/03 04:24 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
kev0153 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Suspect2:
kev... how far are you from Bowie MD? A case of beer if you help me install a CB like yours. You did an excellent job. laugh
I'm pretty close about half hour. Send me an email at kclark@halfdimension.com

I have some free time next week or next weekend.

Kevin

#293906 - 23/07/03 08:31 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
bonesnTX Offline

kev0153

Thanks....Good Pics/Explanation....I like it inside a lot but I don't know about that BIG antenna for my anal asses Roof Rack...???

[Wave]

#293907 - 23/07/03 08:35 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
Anonymous
Unregistered

Email sent! [Wave]

#293908 - 23/07/03 10:44 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
Anonymous
Unregistered

yah, great pics.. not sure that i like the all-in-one unit :-/ hmmm any other install pics?

#293909 - 26/07/03 10:51 PM Re: Recommended CB Units
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went to purchase one today, and looked at the Cobra units, however I'm stuck on where I can install the antannae? I saw the previous post but i don't have the rack that bloke did.

#293910 - 27/07/03 09:42 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
Chato Offline

Speak to RI Xterra about where to place the antenna. He has his attached to an ARB mount on his roof rack. I'm actually going to be using the same set up. I've received the antenna, and am now just waiting for the ARB mounts. Anyway, he's very helpful and a cool guy. Drop him an email, as I'm sure he would be very willing to answer any questions you may have. wink

#293911 - 29/07/03 07:19 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
bonesnTX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chato:
Speak to RI Xterra about where to place the antenna. He has his attached to an ARB mount on his roof rack. I'm actually going to be using the same set up. I've received the antenna, and am now just waiting for the ARB mounts. Anyway, he's very helpful and a cool guy. Drop him an email, as I'm sure he would be very willing to answer any questions you may have. wink
Photos please?

[Wave]

#293912 - 29/07/03 09:04 AM Re: Recommended CB Units
Chato Offline

Try this:
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=001149

If that doesn't work, go to the Picture forum in the Owners Club Gallery.
It's posted under "Antenna Pics".
There are several good shots of antenna pics/setups.

Cheers!
smile

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal