shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#294098 - 31/07/03 09:16 PM Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

While it may not be the greatest stereo, I quite like the stock unit in my 2003 SE-SC. So here are my thoughts for MP3 playback. Please let me know if I'm way off base.

Purchase an RF modulator, one that plugs inline with the antenna, not over the air.

Purchase a Creative nomad (or something like it) with a 20 or 60 gig hard drive. The nomad has a neat remote control with an LCD that displays the songs and let you control the main unit.

Get a custom installer to mount the remote control in the dash somewhere (I think the storage bin under the radio would work). Have them run cables betweem the nomad and the RF modulator.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Any other MP3 players that you would suggest?

Cheers

#294099 - 05/08/03 05:00 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I am in a similar position as yourself, and have had similar ideas. In the end, I think that I just wouldn't be happy with the sound quality from a RF Modulator. :-( I've used them a couple times in the past and as much as I really WANTED them to work, there was always a hiss or muffled effect that really annoyed me (sigh). I hear there's a new unit out for the iPod that works better, but still lacks in quality. For my Audi I've used an aux adapter I bought from Blitzsafe (www.blitzsafe.com) which is a pretty awesome unit. It connects to the back of the headunit and gives you a set of RCA inputs into which you can plug any external device. Actually on their website they say there is one for the Xterra in the works... but they haven't responded to my asking when it would be released. My guess is that it will take 6+ months.

In the end, I think I'm going to put my old Pioneer MP7400 (cd & mp3) receiver into the X, then buy an external aux adapter off of ebay (the pioneer unit is about $29), and then have that custom-wired into the dash somewhere. So then when I want to plug my music jukebox into the X, I'll just have to connect a wire to it, a little bit of a manual effort, but worth it in the end.

I have a 10 gig iPod and think it's gotta be one of the best inventions. I've looked at Creative's latest Nomad Zen NX unit (starting at $249 for a 20 gig one) and it seems pretty awesome, but a bit bigger in size than the iPod, and is on backorder everywhere I've looked. The good thing about the iPods is that they work on both Mac and PC, and there is a GLUT of them on the market right now so you can get a 10-20 gig unit for about $300. Also, they're extremely easy and intuitive to use, which is very useful when you're driving and don't want to keep your eyes off the road too much. wink

Well, good luck, definitely keep me posted as to what you decide to do. I have a feeling we may end up with a similar install.

peace!
H

#294100 - 17/08/03 10:35 AM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am in the same boat as you guys and i am trying to figure out a better solution. I have the 30GB iPod (pretty cool little device, I highly recommend it), but I am having trouble finding a proper way to hook it up to the stereo in the XTerra. I have purchased the Belkin Tunecast FM transmitter, but it has some problems:
- it only has 4 radio channels, and all 4 of those are usually taken by more powerful radio station, which causes static and interference
- the batteries run out very quickly, and with less power the radio signal becomes weak and static is the result
- somehow the engine sound is picked up over the stereo; I think I hear the firing of the cylinders very vaguely over the speakers.

All in all, this solution does not work for me. Sound quality of the iPod is near perfect, but when played over the car stereo it is horrible and annoying. So I want something better.

My thought is that it should be possible to make a 3,5 mm input jack straight fromt he head unit. The dealer told me the standard unit has an input in the back. Should it not be possible to hook up a cable that connects to the 3,5 mm input jack on the iPod? However - how would I SELECT to play the iPod on the stereo. What button would change it from radio, to CD, to iPod?

If anyone has more brilliant ideass, or can recommend a shop that did the work for them in the LA area, let me know.

Thanks!

#294101 - 17/08/03 08:26 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
cool

how about burning CD with your MP3s in file form, and buying head unit which actually capable of playing them?

no issues with quality loss, no issues with having to move and plug/unplug unit cool

#294102 - 18/08/03 07:57 AM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Buying a stereo is my second option. But having the Rockford Fosgate system complicates that.

1. I lose the stock look (important when there are breakins).

2. It would probably cost more than the Ipod as I can't use the stock amp to run the sub in the truck.

#294103 - 18/08/03 08:05 AM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by mguisado:
Buying a stereo is my second option. But having the Rockford Fosgate system complicates that.

1. I lose the stock look (important when there are breakins).

2. It would probably cost more than the Ipod as I can't use the stock amp to run the sub in the truck.
Well about first one - it doesnt matter as if something is broken mechanically - h/u has nothing to do with it smile Most of times even fried electric lines wouldnt have something to do with it, and if you got custom lights - especially..
About second - nope, it wont cost you more than Ipod in most of cases, unless you go for top of the line. IPod is what - about 300$ USD? Most of decent quality Mp3 enabled units now between 100 and 200$ USD.. Higher priced ones arent always worth it (there is only so much sound quality you can get in the truck anyway). And why you wouldnt be able to use stock sub and amp? cool

Anyway.. just my .02

#294104 - 18/08/03 08:32 AM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
MaloCS Offline

When I purhased an Apple iPod I was intent on hooking it up to my stock RF stereo. The only way to do it was to purchase an FM modulator. The downfall of the FM modulator is that it connects via your FM antenna lead thus it only provides FM radio quality, not cd quality.

I was very unhappy with the sound quality. This lead me to buy an aftermarket head unit that played mp3s via a cdr. I am much happier with the results.

My recommendation would be to buy an aftermarket head unit. You will be much happier.

#294105 - 18/08/03 11:47 AM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Buy the PhatNoise, it works with with the stock cd player.

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalmediaplayers/nissan.php

#294106 - 18/08/03 10:14 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks all for the input.

Uzbad, the first point was regarding theft (not a broken H/U). On the second point can I use the stock speakers and amp that come in the Rockford Fosgate system, with an aftermarket headunit? Do you have links to people who have done this? Or point me in the right direction? I've been doing searches but come up empty.

HugoX, looked at the phatnoise stuff, interesting. My stock headunit has a built in changer, and no external changer controls. It's the rockford fosgate H/U. Will the phatnoise components still work?

Thanks all for the help.

#294107 - 18/08/03 10:44 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
MaloCS Offline

You cannot use the stock RF amp with an aftermarket tuner in a conventional setting. I would not recommend using the stock speakers with one even though they will work.

I found that after 15 to 20 minutes of moderate volume the stock speaker coils would heat up and start popping. I bit the bullet and upgraded to Infinity Kappas.

#294108 - 22/08/03 10:43 AM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did some more research in the meantime, and I think i am on to something. The problems I need to solve are:
1. hook the iPOD directly to the stereo
2. be able to switch between CD/RADIO/IPOD and use my stock controls
3. don't mess with car if at all possible

So, here's an idea. You can get pretty inexpensive and small equalizers that have multiple output AND aux input options. So you install that (or have in installed in my case, as I am planning to do) in the glove box. Under 'normal' cirumstances the iPOD will not be plugged in and you will never know the EQ is there, you will just ignore it. But when you want to play the iPOD, you just run a cable from the EQ AUX input to the 3,5 mm jack on your iPOD, set the selector switch on the EQ to AUX and off you go...

It sounds simple, maybe a little too simple. I want to find a good installer that can give me more advice, but these units are available for under 100 dollars.

What do you guys think?

#294109 - 22/08/03 12:50 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
cjs2000 Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
It might be possible to add an aux input to the factory stereo. Find out what connectors are on the back of the radio and then refer to these links:

This one

or this one

You might be able to make one yourself. If you do, post your results. Good luck.

#294110 - 22/08/03 01:10 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
*paul Offline

Loc: New Zealand
This discussion might be useful:

(link)

#294111 - 22/08/03 02:17 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm...I actually have a similar question - I have a Sony 10 disc CD/MP3 changer that uses the RF (attached directly to the antenna lead).

Now, what I'm sort of understanding is that there is a way to route it directly to the system without going via RF? I have the stock (not the rockford) system in my 2002 Xterra - and I wanted to know if it's possible. All the stuff at the link *paul had was for the 2000 model, so I'm curious how this would be done. It has it's own controller - all I'd really want is for the head unit to switch to "AUX" or something when then changer is in use.

I realize I could get a new head unit, but this changer is only a few months old - I'd rather not have to change the head unit if I don't have to. Also, I rarely listen to anything but the changer, and being able to cycle through 10 discs of MP3s is a nice feature.

#294112 - 25/08/03 08:29 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone know what kind of connectors are on the back of the 2002 XE model radio? Anyone know how hard it is to take the radio out?

My Xterra came with a loose cable that I suspect is for a CD changer. It has 4 wires: white, yellow, green and brown. It has a flat plug on one end, and a square plug on the other. Anyone familiar with this cable and know what it is for?

Some of the discussions in the linked forums are very technical, and involve more than I am willing to do. In my experience, every time I mess with a car, I make it a little less nice. I put a screw back incorrectly, or I scratch something (stupid me). I want to make sure that my taste for static free music does not ruin the center console. Anyone know of a good installation shop in LA that can do this type of work? The dealer could not do it, or declined to do it.

#294113 - 25/08/03 09:21 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

iPod- The loose cable you are talking about sounds like the trailer hitch wiring cable. If it has a gray or greenish (can't remember off hand) square connector and the four wires connected to a black flat connector, than it probably is for the hitch. On my X there is a place to plug it in underneath the back right side of my X sort of near the spare tire.
Hope this helps

#294114 - 06/09/03 07:07 AM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
mav63 Offline

Loc: DC
Until you find your permanent MP3 solution, you should try the AudiaX FM transmitter. I just picked one up at MP3playerstore.com and am using it in the Xterra with an Iriver iFP-395T Mp3 player. It lets you use any frequency you want to tune to. I still have the stock stereo so sound quality is as good as you can get with stock. At least I have my own music and 512MB of songs to pick from. My next toy will be the XMRadio Roady!

#294115 - 06/09/03 12:26 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Haven't really done any more research. But I did want to stay away from over the air FM transmitters. I would rather wire something in to the antenna. We'll have to see.

It's a shame that the stereo doesn't have any type of AUX inputs. When I purchased the SE-SC I didn't really want the stereo (I wanted all the other bits). So maybe I'll just pull out the HU and put in an MP3 aftermarket unit.

#294116 - 22/09/03 05:11 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

if you had a head unit with an aux input, does that mean you could maybe hook-up an i-pod or any other mp3 player?

#294117 - 22/09/03 06:44 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why on gods green earth would someone spend $900 on a 20 gig Phatnoise. You can put in a whole MP3/DVD player with a screen for that. Expensive!

#294118 - 23/09/03 08:26 AM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Quote:
Originally posted by DIRT32:
if you had a head unit with an aux input, does that mean you could maybe hook-up an i-pod or any other mp3 player?
Yes. The problem being discussed in this thread though involves the stock/Rockford systems which do not have aux inputs.

#294119 - 23/09/03 08:52 AM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
MaloCS Offline

AGAIN... is anybody listening...

PART 1
When I purhased an Apple iPod I was intent on hooking it up to my stock RF stereo. The only way to do it was to purchase an FM modulator. The downfall of the FM modulator is that it connects via your FM antenna lead thus it only provides FM radio quality, not cd quality.

I was very unhappy with the sound quality. This lead me to buy an aftermarket head unit that played mp3s via a cdr. I am much happier with the results.

My recommendation would be to buy an aftermarket head unit. You will be much happier.

PART 2
You cannot use the stock RF amp with an aftermarket tuner in a conventional setting. I'm sure with some knowledge and elbow grease you could get it to work but why bother. Just buy a new amp. You could get very decent amps for a $100 or so.

PART 3
I would not recommend using the stock speakers with an after market tuner even though they will work.

I found that after 15 to 20 minutes of moderate volume the stock speaker coils would heat up and start popping. I bit the bullet and upgraded to Infinity Kappas.

#294120 - 12/10/03 03:02 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont buy the iTrip accessory for the iPod. I did and the quality is not as good as I had hoped. Mine is having some sort of grounding issue. It likes to use me as an antenna. As soon as I let go of it the sound gets very fuzzy. As long as I'm holding my iPod the quality really isn't that bad but who wants to hold an iPod all the time.
I went to Circuit City and Best Buy. There were two HU that I found. JVC is making a unit for around $179 that has an aux mp3 jack right on front of the face plate. You would just plug into it from your headphone jack on the iPod then switch to AUX mode on the HU. Sony has an Xplod with the solid plack face that flips down to give you all the controls. It's input connection is in the back. That one is selling at BB for $190 and at CC for $230. The Sony looks better but they're both equally equipped. I would probably prefer my jack in the front.
FYI

#294121 - 12/10/03 03:24 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am dealing with this issue too. I like the stock look and WHEEL CONTROLS! If I go with a aftermarket HU that has an MP3 jack on the face then I was told that the radio controls would be inop. So... I continue to struggle and burn massive amounts of CD's with my dilemma.

#294122 - 13/10/03 03:37 PM Re: Idea for MP3 install in the Xterra.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I never use my wheel controls. I always forget that they're there so it's not an issue for me. I'm just not quite sure what I'd do with the extra hole in my dash after going from that monster stock unit to something half its size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal