2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#294437 - 08/09/06 06:34 PM "Lighting switch" replacement
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Any advice on replacing the lighting switch (i.e. the turn signal etc switch)?

Mine started smoking when I use my turn signals... I guess the contacts in it are going out - so I got a new one. It looks like it would be super simple to replace if I could get the steering column cover off - but I assume they don't make that easy for vehicle theft reasons (I haven't looked yet). It does say in the FSM that you don't have to take the switch base (that both the lighting switch and the windshield wiper switch connect to) off - this thing just screws on with two screws.

I guess the real question is: do I HAVE to take the steering wheel off - and if so - and pointers on that?

#294438 - 08/09/06 09:18 PM Re: "Lighting switch" replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do know that you want to do it right with that air bag pointed point blank at your face!

Be careful.

#294439 - 08/09/06 10:56 PM Re: "Lighting switch" replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm....sorry I'm no help because I don't know about the 2000's. But on my '05, it's as simple as taking off the steering column cover (a few screws, seriously less than a minute) then unclipping the old and clipping in the new. I know because I replaced it when I installed Nissan fogs. I hope yours is as easy!

#294440 - 09/09/06 06:55 AM Re: "Lighting switch" replacement
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by armandov99:
Hmm....sorry I'm no help because I don't know about the 2000's. But on my '05, it's as simple as taking off the steering column cover (a few screws, seriously less than a minute) then unclipping the old and clipping in the new. I know because I replaced it when I installed Nissan fogs. I hope yours is as easy!
Turns out it is the same in the old ones.

It could not have been any easier.

6 phillips head screws to take the column cover apart, 2 screws and 3 quick-release electrical connectors to swap out the switch, screw the covers back together. It took me all of 10 minutes.

Oh, and the switch assembly cost me $57 shipped from nissanparts.org

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal