shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#295272 - 15/10/01 12:11 PM Hands free
Anonymous
Unregistered

okay, i have the NOkia 8260 cell phone, and lost my hands free earpiece...since i drive a stick, its not always that easy to talk on the phone, and i've always wanted one of those speaker type things...
anyone have any suggestions on which one to get?? i'm looking at this one here .
but, i don't know if it'll fit...with the two sticks, it might be a little tight...
any suggestions???

#295273 - 15/10/01 12:33 PM Re: Hands free
Tom G Offline

Loc: AZ
I'm in the same situation...let me know how it turns out. I've actually bought a magnetic mount thing and it's been working pretty good. there is a really thin strip of metal on the back of the phone which magnets to a disc about 1/8 of an inch thick which is double-sided taped to the dash. it was $10. You can easily get another handsfree off ebay (for REALLY cheap) if you go that route.

#295274 - 15/10/01 01:48 PM Re: Hands free
Viper X Offline

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
I bought that one and the tip broke off inside my phone, so the ear piece hoole for a nads free etc, is ruined. It only lasted about 2 weeks and I wasn't that impressed with it. The earpiece handsfree kit is better, and a whole lot cheeper. At&t is giving them away to their customers right now.

#295275 - 15/10/01 03:44 PM Re: Hands free
yxterra Offline

Loc: Huntington, WV
It looks good to me, but I don't know that I would like to have a conversation where everyone can hear what you're talking about. I would go for the ear piece because you can use it anywhere. It's a lot cheaper than the car unit. Check www.sharperimage.com they have cool car units. Like ViperX said I just went and got a second earpiece the other day from AT&T Wireless totally free.

#295276 - 24/10/01 08:41 AM Re: Hands free
Anonymous
Unregistered

well, i ended up buying that one from a guy on ebay, for $45.00. i'm very satisfied with it so far...i had to mess around with it fitting comfortably, but i finally found the sweet spot...
then, i realized that i had to take it out of the lighter everytime i got out of the truck...
then i thought to myself, "self, what would happen if i put it in the accessory adaptor?"
hey, it shuts off everytime the truck turns off!! cool beans! so now i got the thing right in front of me, and i dont' have to touch it at all, except to put the phone in...
the sound is a tad bit muffled, but all in all, it works great....
the microphone, they say to put on your visor...but i didn't like the idea of a wire going from the dash up the windsheild, and blocking my vision...
so, i clipped it on the plug that goes into the microphone jack, and it works perfectly...

#295277 - 24/10/01 10:51 AM Re: Hands free
Viper X Offline

doesn't it get in the way of the stereo? I have the steering wheel controls, but still like to be able to give passangers the choice of using the buttons, especially the volume. I ended up switching the plugs on the back of the cigarette adapter with the one on the back of the accessory adapter. That way, the accessory slot turns off with the car, but the cigarette adapter is rendeered useless. Guess it needs a relay or something, but I've never needed it.

BTW, are you happy with your 8260? I've always had problems with mine, so I'm going to upgrade to the 8890. Now thats a phone!

#295278 - 25/10/01 08:08 AM Re: Hands free
Anonymous
Unregistered

first off, i LOVE my 8260!! i've had all different phones before this one...this is definately my favorite...i changed to this from a StarTac (i HATED that phone w/ a passion)
secondly, i have an aftermarket head unit...i do have a remote control for it (cause i'm lazy sometimes...) but if i do use the volume buttons, i do have to curve around the phone (not enough for me to complain though)

i live by Nokia phones...i've had Motorolla, and Ericsson, and hated them...
i've had 3 different 5100 models, loved them all, then got a good deal on the StarTac, then hated that then bought my 8260...
the one bad thing about the 8260 is that i can't change the face..its scratched to shit now, and i don't wanna spend the cash for a new one!!!

#295279 - 25/10/01 10:17 AM Re: Hands free
Viper X Offline

Nokia or your carrier will warranty the phone's faceplate. I learned that the hard way. I bought an aftermarket one and the special T6 torx bit scrwdriver. All aftermarket faceplates void the warranty and allow dust inside. I've had 3 different one, including one of the "martix" style. It was cool and really useful, but the speaker kept moving around so I couldn't hear anything. Check out the 8890.
http://www.nokiausa.com/beauty1/1,2498,48;;rt8890,FF.html

Cingular is offering it for $179 w/ a 1 year agreement, or $119 w/ 2 years agreement. Ebay has them going for $250-$400, w/ no warranty.

#295280 - 25/10/01 01:15 PM Re: Hands free
Anonymous
Unregistered

i'm on the phone w/ Nokia cust. support now...they said they DO NOT warantee against scratches....they do warantee against manufacturer's defects...and unfortunately, i can't pull a fast one, cause its scratched pretty bad...oh well...she's checking on how much it'll cost for them to replace the whole front of the phone for me...

#295281 - 25/10/01 03:58 PM Re: Hands free
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by njX:
the one bad thing about the 8260 is that i can't change the face..its scratched to shit now, and i don't wanna spend the cash for a new one!!!

What ?
You can buy faceplates for an 8260 all over the web.

Here's some cool Water-proof ones...

#295282 - 25/10/01 04:45 PM Re: Hands free
Viper X Offline

yes there are thousands of them, especially on ebay, but ALL aftermarket faceplates let in dust and lint. And if anything does go wrong, (like the hole for a hands free kit on mine) no one will warranty it. I talked to AT&T and they said had I brought the damaged faceplate to them or Nokia they would have fixed it.

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: Viper X ]

#295283 - 26/10/01 07:36 AM Re: Hands free
Anonymous
Unregistered

ian,
my question to you then, would be, how the fuck do i get it off!?!?!?!?!?

#295284 - 26/10/01 08:50 AM Re: Hands free
Viper X Offline

you have to remove the antenna, (be carful, you a push pin under the (K) in Nokia and pry up. Then remove the battery. There will be a total of 5 screws right there to remove, but you need the special T^ bit that no one sells. (I tried radio shack, home depot, loews etc) Then there will be 2 more screws to remove and just keep taking all of the pieces apart. You'll have to reinstal the speaker, volume key, earbud adapter, and recharge adapter into the new faceplate, then replace the keys, microchips etc, so kep track of which way the face and which order they go in.

Its a pain in the ass, but it can be done. Keep i mind, once you replace it with an aftermaket one, you'll have lint and dust covering the inside of the screen, and the only way to remove is to unistall the damn thing and clean it then reinstall

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal