2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#295851 - 10/07/01 07:27 PM new system help
oceanrider Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Hello fellow X'ers. I recently bought a new system for my 01 Xterra but at the moment I'm a little disappointed with it (but that could be because of my little knowledge for stereo equipment... lol). Anyways here's my setup:

Alpine CDA-7873 cd receiver
Polk audio EX602a 6.5
Alpine SPS-6939S 6X9 (because the polks I bought didn't fit)
Alpine MRPF200 4 channel amp.

the problem is that it seems like the polk's 6.5 can't handle the power. they get distorted easily. I have the gain for both front and rear about half way up. once I get past about 17 or 18 on the volume they start making a cracking sound. Although I must admit replacing the back speakers don't make much of a difference so I orders some 6X9 speaker boxes and when I get them I'll have them facing up towards the front. Hopefully that will make it alot louder. I'm gonna gradually get a good sub once I get some $$$$.. Anyways does anyone have any recommendations on what to set the gain , bass, treble ect.. also does the X-over set at 80hz make a difference.. I know when I have it off on the head unit it seems to sound alot louder.. lol need to learn alot more about all this stuff...lol

Thanks everyone!!!

oceanrider
01 Solar Yellow Xterra

#295852 - 13/07/01 09:18 PM Re: new system help
gearhead1972 Offline

Loc: Brewster NY
There is some stuff here that might help you.
http://www.polkaudio.com/car/library/ Good crossovers are a must for High quality sound! There is a very small chance that a 50 watt/ch amp is going to distort a 120 watt peak speaker.Here is how I tune my systems.Turn all controls(bass, treble, eq, bass boost, ect.) to flat. Turn the gains on the amp to 0.turn off sub if you have one. if possible fade the amp to just the front then turn the volume to 3/4 now slowly adjust the gain for the front speakers just to the point of distortion then back off just a hair.then put fader to center and bring in the rear in the same manner just enough to fill in the back.then bring in the sub if you have one.if you dont have a sub the crossover on the amp should not be used unless you have to.if the problem is still there after that check that all connections are quality and that the speakers are wired correctly. + to + and - to -.

------------------
Kevin
00' Super Black SE 5 speed
superblackxterra.tripod.com

#295853 - 14/07/01 09:43 PM Re: new system help
oceanrider Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Thanks Kevin,

Your advise helped out alot. It sounds great but it's missing that little punch so I'm going to get a good sub in a few weeks..

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally posted by gearhead1972:
There is some stuff here that might help you.
http://www.polkaudio.com/car/library/ Good crossovers are a must for High quality sound! There is a very small chance that a 50 watt/ch amp is going to distort a 120 watt peak speaker.Here is how I tune my systems.Turn all controls(bass, treble, eq, bass boost, ect.) to flat. Turn the gains on the amp to 0.turn off sub if you have one. if possible fade the amp to just the front then turn the volume to 3/4 now slowly adjust the gain for the front speakers just to the point of distortion then back off just a hair.then put fader to center and bring in the rear in the same manner just enough to fill in the back.then bring in the sub if you have one.if you dont have a sub the crossover on the amp should not be used unless you have to.if the problem is still there after that check that all connections are quality and that the speakers are wired correctly. + to + and - to -.

------------------

#295854 - 14/07/01 10:41 PM Re: new system help
gearhead1972 Offline

Loc: Brewster NY
Glad I could help try www.sounddomain.com

------------------
Kevin
00' Super Black SE 5 speed
superblackxterra.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by gearhead1972 (edited 07-15-2001).]

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts