2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#295912 - 16/01/05 11:30 AM $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, I have Stock Speakers, with a Sony XPlode 4x55W aftermarket head unit, nothing to special. I want more bass, but only have a $500 budget. I don't mind running cable, taking out seats etc to install myself. But for better sound, with more bass on a $500 budget what would you guys reccomend?

I've heard that a good set of 6x9's with the right Amp can put out quite s good amount of Bass, which might be a good idea as I don't really want a big ass Box in the back if I can help it.

#295913 - 16/01/05 11:43 AM Re: $500 to spend
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Well, if you don't mind losing 1-cubic foot of space in the trunk, get a small 10-inch sub with a 200-300 watt amp. I have a really, ultra shitty sub/box with a quality 180-watt amp and it's fucking awesome. I mean real ass kicking air-twitching awesome. For real dog, it's the shiznit yo.

Kidding aside, it thumps like stupid. I mounted the amp on the box and can even remove the whole thing in 2 seconds if I end up needing the space, so to me it's the perfect solution. The rest of the speakers are stock, and the head unit is some Panasonic thingy with a seperate sub-out so I can tweak it specifically for CDs that need some boost. The amp cost me $250, the sub/box was $100 LOLOLOL-cheap.

Edit: HOly fuck I can't read, you even said you don't want a box in the back. More coffee, please. Yup, some decent 6x9's with an amp would also sound good.

#295914 - 16/01/05 11:50 AM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well if it is quick n easy to remove like you suggested, for camping trips etc. Then a removable deal might work. Expecially for $350 / $400 including the Amp. I don't want something that rattles windows from 1/2 mile away, or sets of car alarms - Getting to old for that crap. Just some better bass than the stock speakers can put out.

#295915 - 16/01/05 01:57 PM Re: $500 to spend
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
What about something like the Infinity basslink?I have a friend that has one in his X and it's small and out of the way and sounds realy good..

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tzM2kdggRDc...finity+basslink

#295916 - 16/01/05 02:38 PM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, that looks pretty cool. Only about $200 on Ebay, so maybe one of those will do the trick, with a couple hundred to spare for some reasonable 6x9's and a small amp to power those too. Then the whole rear end will sound pretty good. After the pay raise in March I can work on the Front end.

#295917 - 16/01/05 02:51 PM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

6x9s blow.... speakers should be round, not ovals. If I only had $500 and didn't want to give up bed space, I would first replace the stock front speakers with some 6" / 6.5" coaxials. (mine are JL VR600s for less then $100 shipped) Then I would switch the rears speakers to 6" speakers (adaptors available online or easy to make).

Hard part is finding a good spot for an after market amp, which you MUCH have for any sort of power. Do a search for "amp under passenger seat" and see what others unwilling to lose cargo space have done.

If you are willing to give up some space in the back, you can go with something as small as a quality 8w3 microsub in a ported box. I had one of them in my S10 behind the seat and it really had some power.

#295918 - 16/01/05 02:53 PM Re: $500 to spend
superjens Offline

Quote:
6x9s blow.... speakers should be round, not ovals
Based on what? Please, I'm really interested in hearing more*

*bullshit

#295919 - 16/01/05 07:19 PM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

For real dog, it's the shiznit yo.
it thumps like stupid
superjens....SPEAK ENGLISH and study hard for that junior high math test....punk

Do round speakers sound better than oval-shaped speakers (i.e. 6x9's)? The answer is yes for most practical purposes. A round cone is more rigid than an oval-shaped one, so at higher levels, an oval-shaped speaker will distort more. The reason why there are oval-shaped speakers is because of rear deck space considerations by manufacturers. An advantage of a 6x9 speaker over a 6-inch speaker is that it has a bigger area, so it will move higher air volume, producing more bass.

Problem is that inorder for a 6x9 to have enough power to create "bass", you have turn give it so much power that it will distort as stated above.

Personally, I think anything will sound like crap in the rear of the xterra unless you seal up the speaker enclosure

#295920 - 16/01/05 09:25 PM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

If all you want is more bass, I would definitely go with a decent 10" sub and a well matched amp. Make your own box from 3/4" MDF.

If you are very handy, you could fiberglass the box into the side of the cargo area, something I hope to do in the near future. Otherwise just put some quick connects at the box so you can pull it out when needed.

A decent 10" with some power put to it should sound better than upgrading your 6x9s, as far as lows are concerned. However, upgrading your 6x9s and amping your existing speakers would also sound better than what you have. (and could probably be done a bit cheaper than a sub/amp/box setup).

#295921 - 17/01/05 05:41 AM Re: $500 to spend
njs1stlt Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Just in case your are still stuck on 6 X 9's but want round speakers, you can get an adapter that fits in the 6 X 9 space and holds 6.5" rounds. Check out Crutchfield or any other popular audio store.

#295922 - 17/01/05 06:55 AM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

Didn't want to start an argument here about Rounds / Ovals! lol. Appreciate the advice tho. I might investigate the Adaptor / 6.5" Round route. I figured a 6x9 was more of an all round speaker than a 6.5" which is more limited to Mids. But maybe my audio knowledge is lacking there. Most 6x9's I've seen have the Tweeter mounted in there too, for more of a Mid-High range. Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

#295923 - 17/01/05 11:38 AM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my rig, i've got a ten inch bass tube and sub. I picked up a 400 watt amp for $75 here by me. The sub and box cost $300 total. So, $375. And, i just unstrap the tube, unplug the sub, and, TADA!!! Cargo space. Don't mount the amp to the box. Either mount it to the back of the rear seat, which I did, or, put it under the back seat, which is where the first one got fryed when it was under water, long story. If you mound the amp to the box, there is alot more to take off to get the box out of the trunk. But, do a 10 inch sub if all you want is added bass.

Tylor

#295924 - 17/01/05 12:59 PM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Either mount it to the back of the rear seat, which I did, or, put it under the back seat...
how in the world did you mount something under the BACK seat? I assume you mean under the passenger seat????

#295925 - 17/01/05 05:08 PM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

Get a 10 in a sealed box(sealed boxes are smaller and more accurate). Mount the amp under the passenger side seat. This way you can just disconnect the speaker wire from the box and remove the box. And, if by chance someone decides they need a sub, it will be hard for them to get the amp... You will be very pleased from the sound you will get(as long as you get some decent equip). My $.02

#295926 - 18/01/05 04:18 AM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

[/QUOTE]how in the world did you mount something under the BACK seat? I assume you mean under the passenger seat????[/QB][/QUOTE]

Hehe. I figured someone would ask. Well, we were going through the trails in the Ocala National forest and i'm following my buddy whose got another cherokee lifted 5 inches and, we're going through some whoops (all full of water) and he's going around them, but, i'm not smart enough to do that. I had gone through about 15 or so, and then, he stops beside this longer hole and looks at me. He tells me, I think this one is deeper than the rest, but, it should be ok. So, i start creeping into it, first, i see water coming up the tire, then, to the bumper, then, my KC daylighters went out cause i forgot to turn them off, then, i start to sink. 4wheel low is just digging further. Then, one of the girls in the back seat says, "Is there supposed to be water coming in the door?" I'm like, WTF! So, i am now stuck, and, about 20 feet into the hole. and, water starts coming in all 4 doors. and, yeah, the amp, under the back seat, got very wet. So, that's how that happened. But, i got it home, shop vac'd it and shampood the carpet and it's good as new now. Except the mud stains on the carpet. Oh well. But, it's a 92 and more of a trail truck, so, that's what it's made for. So, people can't call me a poser with the snorkle, cause, i've used it.

Now, i know, ya'll are gonna read this and be like, "ok, this kid is dumb" but, how many of you, being 20 havn't made a stupid decision? Huh? Huh? [Wave] So, now you know But, you should be ok to put the amp under the seat, just stay out of deep water.

Tylor

#295927 - 18/01/05 07:07 AM Re: $500 to spend
superjens Offline

Tylor, sorry man but there's no room under an Xterra back seat to put more than a slice of pizza!

#295928 - 18/01/05 08:30 AM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

See, i got no xterra so, i don't know. So, you can offically ignore everything I said. I tried. Sorry
But, he should be able to mount the amp to the back of the seat.
Tylor

#295929 - 18/01/05 11:42 AM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd prefer to mount the amp to the back of the rear seat, I think my Tints are dark enough to prevent anyone from easily looking in and seeing it back there. Plus I do have the roll back cover thing, so I could roll that over to keep it all hidden. I do like the idea of building my own box, gives me an excuse to use my CAD package to design it all on.

#295930 - 18/01/05 03:38 PM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

if you fold your seats down ever, mounting it to the back seat will be a pain. When you make your box, make sure you get the cubic feet correct to match your sub or you won't get the optimum sound.

#295931 - 18/01/05 06:35 PM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

RiNkY,

build a sealed box for a nice 10" sub. I would recommend a JL 10w3v2. Use 3/4 MDF + wood glue + clamps....piece of cake. To power it, put a JL250/1 under the passenger seat. It should fit w/o too much trouble and then you only have to have your sub in the back. When you want to pull it for hauling stuff, you can and you'll just have to disconnect the speaker wires. It's not optimal, but you can just run the speaker off the head unit if all you want is some added bass.

#295932 - 18/01/05 08:58 PM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by skydive814:
Do a search for "amp under passenger seat" and see what others unwilling to lose cargo space have done.
I fit an amp under both of my front seats in the Xterra. On the driver side I had to remove some piece of molded plastic over a wiring harness to get enough clearance. Just be careful when mounting the amp to the floor so you wont screw through any wires wink

Also make sure you can freely slide the seat back and forth without hitting the amp and route your wires so they dont get hung up anywhere...

NOTE: Obviously the size of the amp matters most here...Check dimensions before choosing an amp and you wont have to sacrifice space in the back.. and dont judge an amp by its physical size smile

#295933 - 19/01/05 05:23 AM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

Eclypse20,

what amps did you mount under the seats?

make/model

#295934 - 19/01/05 08:42 PM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

skydive814 check your PM's

#295935 - 20/01/05 06:48 AM Re: $500 to spend
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Eclypse20. I am hoping to fit a JL 300/4 under my passenger seat to drive my XR6.5's in the front doors and some custom mounted VR 600's in the rear doors.

sub amp (Kenwood KAC-923) is mountined along with my .5 fosgate cap inside the driver side rear 1/4 panel. I removed the 6x9 and cut out some of the metal. Once it gets warmer, I can actually put the plastic trim piece back up over the top of the amp. The "grill" that used to cover the 6x9 allows the Kenwood to breath and the panel totally hides it from curious eyes.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal