2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#296538 - 28/02/02 09:15 AM Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a little annoyed. I've only owned my '02 for 14 days, and of that - it's been in the shop for 6 days. :rolleyes:

The seat belt pre-tensioner light wouldn't stop blinking. I took it to the dealer and they replaced a spiral cable within the airbag system. I picked up the car on Tuesday morning, and by Tuesday afternoon, the light was blinking again. I took it back to the shop yesterday and now the technicians can't figure out what the problem is.

Now, it involves Nissan directly. Apparantly, they need to do a technical Q&A with Nissan and try some things that Nissan suggests before they can fix the problem.

Does anyone feel my pain? Has this happened to anyone else? I really want to enjoy my X and I'm having separation anxiety. [Crybaby]

Leah

#296539 - 28/02/02 09:40 AM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
Welcome aboard! I hope you get the X back ASAP. For the life of me, in the past 8 months I've been here, I don't remember anything like this...

BTW- Call the X a car again and you're likely to be tar & feathered wink

#296540 - 28/02/02 12:27 PM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
I've never heard of anyone else having this problem either. However tis a serious one,it would worry me a tad. The seatbelt pre-tensioners are actually either a gas/chemical or strictly gas charged cylinder that triggers on a severe impact, pulling you to your seat. A faulty one could be scary(I'm sure they have a well designed system though) I've often wondered about both airbags and pretentioners going off while i'm picking my nose! [Freak]

#296541 - 28/02/02 12:58 PM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
janders Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by evansxterr:
I've often wondered about both airbags and pretentioners going off while i'm picking my nose! [Freak]
That's the closest I've had to milk come out of my nose in years! Thanks.

#296542 - 28/02/02 01:24 PM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dayspring: My Bad. Not used to having such a cool and classy automobile as the "X". I will never refer to it as a car again! laugh

Evansxterr: The nose picking reference was hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. [LOL]

I was scared to death to drive it again when the light started blinking the second time. I know it is serious, so I don't mind them taking their time to fix it. I'll keep you posted on the problem/fix. It just figures I'm the only one that would have this problem. :rolleyes:

Nice to meet you all. I'll get the swing of this board thing one of these days. I'm glad I found this club.

#296543 - 28/02/02 10:11 PM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I wouldn't be too concerned, the inertial seatbelt catch is incredibly sensitive on the Xterra. Even if the pre-tensioners didn't fire and take up the slack, you wouldn't make it far before the belts caught you. I have trouble even pulling the belt out in gentle turns or on a slightly rough road.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#296544 - 28/02/02 11:05 PM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
I wouldn't be too concerned, the inertial seatbelt catch is incredibly sensitive on the Xterra. Even if the pre-tensioners didn't fire and take up the slack, you wouldn't make it far before the belts caught you. I have trouble even pulling the belt out in gentle turns or on a slightly rough road.

Brent
ha, the passenger side one in rrdstarr's truck won't let me move even on smooth roads and trying to release it makes it tighter. The damn thing was trying to strangle me last time I rode with him! Yeah, they catch pretty easily!

#296545 - 01/03/02 06:04 AM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
firefighter Offline

Does anyone know where the pre-tensioners are in the Xterra? When I got trained for vehicle extracation these things scared the sh*t out of me. Just imagine cutting through one if these things.

#296546 - 01/03/02 08:19 AM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
Tymax Offline

Loc: middle tn
Quote:
Originally posted by firefighter:
Does anyone know where the pre-tensioners are in the Xterra?
They are on the seatbelt assembly behind the B-pillars, they have a yellow plug with a small black lock. There is a screw you can loosen on top to bend it out a little if you have to get to it. If you are brave enough to mess with any part of this system (air bags,pre-tensioner,spiral cable, or any of the other numerous items) ALWAYS disconnect both battery cables and wait at least 2 minutes before starting.

#296547 - 01/03/02 08:33 AM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
Tymax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave and Leah Hunter:
I'm a little annoyed. I've only owned my '02 for 14 days, and of that - it's been in the shop for 6 days. :rolleyes:

The seat belt pre-tensioner light wouldn't stop blinking. I took it to the dealer and they replaced a spiral cable within the airbag system
The steering wheel and air bag must be removed to replace a spiral cord. I'm not aware of a "pre-tensioner light", so I assume your talking about the seat belt idiot light? Have a look at the seat belt plugs (small white plugs mounted under both front seats) to check to see if they lock or for damage. If so, this will cause a stage 3 air bag failure also. Keep us informed on what they find. Air bag problems are a real bitch to find.

#296548 - 01/03/02 09:26 AM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I never bothered to re-connect the seatbelt wires under the seats after I pulled the seats out to vacuum the interior a while back. Are you saying that would cause the airbags not to fire? Guess I should get under there and reconnect 'em...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#296549 - 01/03/02 05:59 PM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
Tymax Offline

02's only have the 2 plugs. 00 & 01 have the plug under the drivers seat only. I don't know if they will go off or not, I'm just saying they will cause an air bag code to register as a failure.

#296550 - 01/03/02 06:42 PM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
LOCHS 2 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:

Brent
Understatement of the year.... eek

In my '01 I would get red marks on my left shoulder blade it was so bad. I couldn't stand wearing a seatbelt at anytime...hell a roadkill thumpin' would throw my whole body in a tizzy. I fore-went safety to leave the bruises off my shoulder.

now, the 2002--I wear it with pride(not lookin' for the no dash light mod). No marks, no jerks, no prob.

Sure, it locks up now and again but either the material is more user friendly or it has more comfortable give/slippage. What do you guys think

#296551 - 02/03/02 10:29 PM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
Firefighter,..As far as I know the pretensioners are located on the bottom third of the B-pillar. Almost all pretentioners are in this location. Always make your cuts up high on the B-pillars,just make sure to avoid the seatbelt mounts. I've been to many extrication classes lately,and to tell you the truth, if its new and German....be afraid...be very afraid. They have airbags everywhere, some Mercades have a high pressure cylinder up high on the c-pillar of all places!! I run on a lot of MVA's with my department and so far we've been fortunate that the cars airbags have been deployed during the accidents (lots o high speed road). Airbags and pretentioners are great and save lives but, everytime i'm cutting I am just waiting for somthing to blow up or shoot out of some platic orafice! [Freak]

#296552 - 05/03/02 04:32 PM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
Xterra 4 Us Offline

Loc: Costa Mesa, Ca
Hi Gang.

Okay, I got my X back and it is great. First of all, when they replaced the spiral cable on the driver side, they didn't bother checking the passenger side to see if it too had an existing problem. This is why it had to be returned to the shop.

I have an invoice infront of me that has a bunch of codes, but doesn't really tell me much about how the problem was fixed. I think it was a fluke, like someone suggested.

Anyway, if I can figure out what the second part is taht was ordered, I'll let you know. Otherwise, I'm a pretty happy camper now that I can enjoy my new car with out problems.

BTW - the light that was flashing was the light next to the brake light. It has the seatbelt icon with a big red circle infront of it - representing the airbag.

Leah

A totally cute kid toting ute.

#296553 - 05/03/02 10:19 PM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
O'Polka Offline

Loc: Arlington,TX USA
Is this the light that I have been thinking is the air bag light> top center between the rpm and speedo? if so mine is blinking also. the passenger side seat belt locks and will not extract some times????????? I wonder if this is the problem you are having?

Quote:

The seat belt pre-tensioner light wouldn't stop blinking. I took it to the dealer and they replaced a spiral cable within the airbag system. I picked up the car on Tuesday morning, and by Tuesday afternoon, the light was blinking again. I took it back to the shop yesterday and now the technicians can't figure out what the problem is.

Now, it involves Nissan directly. Apparantly, they need to do a technical Q&A with Nissan and try some things that Nissan suggests before they can fix the problem.

Does anyone feel my pain? Has this happened to anyone else? I really want to enjoy my X and I'm having separation anxiety. [Crybaby]

Leah

#296554 - 05/03/02 10:54 PM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Quote:
Otherwise, I'm a pretty happy camper now that I can enjoy my new [b]car with out problems.
[/b]
Strike two!!!! laugh

Just kidding man.. Glad to see you got your problem fixed.. [Wave]

#296555 - 06/03/02 11:15 AM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
Xterra 4 Us Offline

[/qb] Strike two!!!! laugh

Oops. It's only been 19 days!

#296556 - 06/03/02 11:25 AM Re: Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner probs
Xterra 4 Us Offline

Originally posted by O'Polka:
"Is this the light that I have been thinking is the air bag light> top center between the rpm and speedo? if so mine is blinking also. the passenger side seat belt locks and will not extract some times????????? I wonder if this is the problem you are having??"

You have a '00 or '01 - right? I'm not sure if the icon is in the same location as the '02's, but I do know it is considered the airbag light. According to the dealer, this is a safety issue and you should take your car in asap. I was led to believe that the airbags could release at the slightest sneeze. I don't need that kind of luck.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal