2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#296579 - 02/11/04 01:05 PM '04 Xterra and iPod; will they play together?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just got a new Xterra a couple days ago, and I'm already missing my iPod. I tried iTrip and it's just ridiculous how terrible it sounds. No cassette so that's not an option. My Xterra is an '04 XE with a single cd-player in the dash. Is there a cd-changer input on the back that I could splice a cable into for an AUX input?

I did an iPod search both here and at iPodlounge and haven't found an answer for the '04's

#296580 - 02/11/04 08:14 PM Re: '04 Xterra and iPod; will they play together?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You'll have to upgrade to...

A. head unit w/ aux. inputs so you can run it from the headphone output.

B. Dension makes a unit that I use that uses the dock connector and allows me to control the iPod through my Kenwood deck. IceLink

C. Alpine has a new interface module for use w/ newer Alpine head units that allows control of iPod through head unit. KCA420i

#296581 - 04/11/04 07:06 AM Re: '04 Xterra and iPod; will they play together?
BennyLen Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
And there's the new iCruze from Monster Cable. It should be out in time for Christmas.

#296582 - 09/11/04 12:24 AM Re: '04 Xterra and iPod; will they play together?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes there is if you have the normal cd player without a cd changer.
Check this link out

I've come the the realization that the stock xterra audio system sucks though, so just upgrade everything.

#296583 - 09/11/04 04:06 AM Re: '04 Xterra and iPod; will they play together?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the link, but from what I've read on this board, the 2004 models don't have that din connector on the back. I guess I'll just have to pop the HU out and take a look myself to make sure.

#296584 - 09/11/04 06:51 AM Re: '04 Xterra and iPod; will they play together?
Anonymous
Unregistered

mj you can get a fm modulator but it takes away your radio sig. i used the itrip until i broke down and just bought a whole new h/u and just set the ipod directly up through the h/u its sounds SICK im so happy with the quality. so your best bet is just to put a h/u in or if you have the dinn conn for your radio

#296585 - 09/11/04 07:20 AM Re: '04 Xterra and iPod; will they play together?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah iTrip was the first thing I tried, but there are no free stations here in Columbus, so it's worthless.

As far as I know, there are no DIN connectors on the 2004 models, but I intend to find out.

I went looking at new HU's last night, which will probably be the route I go.

#296586 - 09/11/04 09:21 AM Re: '04 Xterra and iPod; will they play together?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I checked the single CD H/U in my 04 Xterra I bought a month ago and there isn't a DIN connecter.

#296587 - 09/11/04 02:46 PM Re: '04 Xterra and iPod; will they play together?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the headsup; saves me from having to pull it myself smile Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new HU. Any preferences among the Xterra crowd?

#296588 - 09/11/04 03:10 PM Re: '04 Xterra and iPod; will they play together?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by mjpd1:
I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new HU. Any preferences among the Xterra crowd?
It's not an Xterra thing - but I'm getting an Alpine because of this:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading_technology/leading_tech_kca-420i.htm

#296589 - 09/11/04 03:33 PM Re: '04 Xterra and iPod; will they play together?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah I checked out the Alpines last night. The iPod integration is cool, but I really just don't like the styling of the Alpine HU's. And I want something that I like the looks of. For my iPod, I really only need AUX inputs. I can control my iPod from the iPod itself or a remote with no problem. I'm leaning towards the Sony HU that has nothing but a black display on the front, and the controls fold down.

#296590 - 09/11/04 04:12 PM Re: '04 Xterra and iPod; will they play together?
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Thanks for the headsup; saves me from having to pull it myself smile Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new HU. Any preferences among the Xterra crowd?
Some things to consider when purchasing an after market head unit are:

• RCA outputs for external amps
  • Separate Front, Rear, sub woofer outputs
  • Sub woofer controls
  • Auxillary inputs
  • High voltage RCA outputs
  • MP3 playback
  • Satellite radio compatibility
  • Build quality
  • Multi line text display
  • Built in frequency crossovers

Opinions of after market head units are just that, opinions. You will get differing points of view on every brand out there. Some quality main stream brands that you won't be dissapointed in are Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood, just make sure you compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
If you want satellite radio you will be limited in which brands support XM or Sirius. Kenwood supports Sirius and Alpine/Pioneer support XM. If you want satellite radio and an iPod you will need to verify that the HU supports multiple auxiallry inputs. For example, my Kenwood deck requires an external switch that allows me to connect both Sirius and my iPod. This switch was an additional $100 on top of the HU price.
If you're going to hook up external amplifiers pay close attention to the voltage of the RCA outputs. The higher the RCA voltage the cleaner the signal when it hits your speakers. This means better musical clarity and less noise. You will also want to verify if your HU has the ability to cross over the outputed signal to an amp or speaker. This allows you to send the correct frequencies to the correct speakers eliminating distortion and maximizing your HU efficiency.

Whatever you decide just know that you will probably want to expand your system at some point in the future. If you purchase a HU that gives you flexibility you won't have to upgrade it, money spent wisely now will save you money in the long run.

My head unit:
(Kenwood KDC-X679 - $329.00 retail or $200.00 Ebay)

• 5.0V RCA outputs
  • Front, Rear and Subwoofer RCA outputs
  • Dual auxillary inputs with addition of external switch
  • 3-Band parametric EQ
  • Sirius radio ready
  • Built in frequency crossovers
  • Sub woofer controls
  • MP3/WMA playback
  • Quad 1-bit D-A converters
  • High Resolution, multi line text display

This deck is primed for system expandability for a decent/fair price. It has many of the same features as decks that retail for twice it's price. I would recommend this Kenwood model.

#296591 - 19/11/04 08:18 AM Re: '04 Xterra and iPod; will they play together?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Just got a new Xterra a couple days ago, and I'm already missing my iPod. I tried iTrip and it's just ridiculous how terrible it sounds. No cassette so that's not an option. My Xterra is an '04 XE with a single cd-player in the dash. Is there a cd-changer input on the back that I could splice a cable into for an AUX input?

I did an iPod search both here and at iPodlounge and haven't found an answer for the '04's
I just got my 02 Xterra yesterday and I plugged in the ipod with the itrip in the center console... works great... only downside is when my phone rings it crackles... there might be something wrong with your itrip.... I am in ny.... on my old car I hated the itrip... it sounds perfect on this...

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal