shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#296949 - 19/07/07 03:26 PM '02 iPod interface
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have searched profusely and cannot find an answer in the existing threads. I have an '02 with the stock single-disc HU. Is there any reasonable way (not astronomically expensive)to do an iPod hardwire into this unit or do I have to buy some high-end stereo first? Thanks all for your thoughts.

#296950 - 19/07/07 03:45 PM Re: '02 iPod interface
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an 03 with a RF head unit and I have not been able to find an option for ipod other than an FM modulator. The best option is to go buy an ipod ready head unit, some of them actually include cables that provide power and controls at the deck. And honestly, they are not that expensive. Head unit prices have dropped dramtically in the last few years. Yes, you can still spend alot of money on one but there really is no need. Here is a link to one that works out of the box:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kjIlGdurfzi/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=105KDPDR30

Hope this helps. Oh, if you have never installed a head unit, do not pay to have it installed. There are plenty of resources and instructions online to do it yourself if you have even an ounce of mechnical ability. All you need is a mounting kit and wiring harnes. Both can be found at Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

#296951 - 19/07/07 03:53 PM Re: '02 iPod interface
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
I have an 03 with a RF head unit and I have not been able to find an option for ipod other than an FM modulator. The best option is to go buy an ipod ready head unit, some of them actually include cables that provide power and controls at the deck. And honestly, they are not that expensive. Head unit prices have dropped dramtically in the last few years. Yes, you can still spend alot of money on one but there really is no need. Here is a link to one that works out of the box:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kjIlGdurfzi/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=105KDPDR30

Hope this helps. Oh, if you have never installed a head unit, do not pay to have it installed. There are plenty of resources and instructions online to do it yourself if you have even an ounce of mechnical ability. All you need is a mounting kit and wiring harnes. Both can be found at Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.
Faaaaaantastic. Thanks for the help and the super-speedy response. Now if I can just convince my wife that this is important... frown

#296952 - 23/07/07 07:57 AM Re: '02 iPod interface
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doesn't the '02 with the single CD H/U's (not to be confused with the 6CD changer with R/F) have an Aux In on the back of the unit? If they do, there's a thread here on how to build an input adapter for an iPod. Works really well from what I remember and yes, it's pretty cheap to build too!

-G

#296953 - 23/07/07 09:50 AM Re: '02 iPod interface
Anonymous
Unregistered

rift, go on crutchfield and there should be one for your HU.. otherwise as gonzo said, there are definitely cheap ways to create an AUX on that HU.

sterling, go to this thread:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=38;t=003536

it is possible to create an AUX in for your RF 6 disk head unit.

whitman

#296954 - 23/07/07 11:07 AM Re: '02 iPod interface
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzo:
Doesn't the '02 with the single CD H/U's (not to be confused with the 6CD changer with R/F) have an Aux In on the back of the unit? If they do, there's a thread here on how to build an input adapter for an iPod. Works really well from what I remember and yes, it's pretty cheap to build too!

-G
Here's the original thread:

Linky: Aux in mod for 2000-2003 non-RockFos head units

Search this section for "8-pin din" without the quotes and you'll find more.

If you want to buy the adaptor instead if making it, try this maybe:

Linky: Aux in adaptor for about $35

#296955 - 23/07/07 03:04 PM Re: '02 iPod interface
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
sterling, go to this thread:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=38;t=003536

it is possible to create an AUX in for your RF 6 disk head unit.

whitman
Hey whitman,

I did see that post but something about that seems pretty gerry-rigged to me. I know that it would work but I have seen too many attempts at something like that go wrong when I try them. I would rather take out my RF unit, sell it and use those funds to cover th cost of buying a new HU with ipod capabilites. To each his own.

-Sterling

#296956 - 24/07/07 09:23 AM Re: '02 iPod interface
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I did see that post but something about that seems pretty gerry-rigged to me. I know that it would work but I have seen too many attempts at something like that go wrong when I try them. I would rather take out my RF unit, sell it and use those funds to cover th cost of buying a new HU with ipod capabilites. To each his own.

-Sterling
Couldn't agree more. That's exactly the reason I haven't done this mod... smile

-G

#296957 - 24/07/07 03:39 PM Re: '02 iPod interface
Anonymous
Unregistered

the problems with similar mods to mine are that people are soldering directly to the contacts on the board (very difficult, high risk) and on top of that, combining two inputs (dangerous if not done correctly.) the only way to combine two inputs is to use a resistor to back the power down on both of them to 50%, partly to avoid gain problems but mostly to avoid damage to both of the devices. for this reason, you don't see "mixing" cables at radioshack for 2 inputs > 1 output. my RF mod doesn't have that problem and I'd be happy to do it for anyone who doesn't feel comfortable doing it themselves.

whitman

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal