shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#297031 - 16/04/03 08:46 AM Monitor & DVD options???
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
I am seriously thinking about installing a dvd and monitor in my X for my kids, Yes duct tape is cheaper!! [Spit] I was think about buying a 7 inch screen, $50 DVD, and an inverter. I could do this for around $200. I know this is jerry-rigging compared to some complete units out there now. I welcome any information from the "Guros" that have installing any dvds systems in their X.
Thanks, Dan

#297032 - 16/04/03 10:03 AM Re: Monitor & DVD options???
MEYEX Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I installed a 7" moniter and Playstation 2 in my X and it was fairly simple. It took a lot of ingenuity to make everything stealth and easily accessible. I used the Playstation 2 because it plays games as well as movies, so there was no need to purchase a DVD player. I have a head unit with RCA AUX leads (on the back) so the harness for the PS2 runs under the passenger seat carpet and into the head unit. Installed a rocker switch in the dash and ran it to the power inverter (mounted under the seat) so I wouldn't have to reach under the seat and turn the power on at the power inverter. The power switch on the PS2 stays in the on position so when i hit the switch in the dash it comes on, just either hit the reset button or insert a game or movie and hit the reset button. Like I said it's an easy install and there's quite a few ways of doing it. I'm still trying to get a dig. cam and post pics...soon.

#297033 - 16/04/03 10:05 AM Re: Monitor & DVD options???
MEYEX Offline

Oh yeah, I also found a wireless remote control that plugs into the Playstion 2 and controls the DVD functions of the console. I got it from Radioshack.

#297034 - 16/04/03 10:15 AM Re: Monitor & DVD options???
Biohazard Offline

Loc: Rogers AR
I did a similar setup in my X with a PS2. I used a 5" screen and rigged the mounting bracket behind the dash so the mount sticks out of the middle expansion hole on the 2002/2003 dash. I also ran a switch up to the console that controls the inverter. The wires for the PS2 and screen are routed into the glove compartment so the PS2 sits in the glove compartment while in an open position, which is good because it's easy to remove. My wife & I only use it for long trips so we wouldn't want a permanent install.

Here are a few pics of the dash. I can add more if you are wanting to see something specific to the install.

My install (after completed)

#297035 - 16/04/03 03:14 PM Re: Monitor & DVD options???
Excelagator Offline

Thanks for the info!! That is why some x-owners have PS2 installed, doh!! My kids would love that better laugh !! I'm pretty good at wiring up lights and things. This is something I have never done. So I have a few more questions about this install.

#1 What size inverter are both of you running?

#2 What gauge wire need to use for the inverter switch on the dash?

#3 Meyexwhere did you mount your PS2?

#4 Can I run speaker from the PS2 without wiring up to the X's radio?

#5 biohazard how did you mount that outlet?

Gator

#297036 - 16/04/03 04:20 PM Re: Monitor & DVD options???
Biohazard Offline

Loc: Rogers AR
Quote:
Originally posted by excelagator:
Thanks for the info!! That is why some x-owners have PS2 installed, doh!! My kids would love that better laugh !! I'm pretty good at wiring up lights and things. This is something I have never done. So I have a few more questions about this install.

#1 What size inverter are both of you running?

#2 What gauge wire need to use for the inverter switch on the dash?

#3 [b]Meyex
where did you mount your PS2?

#4 Can I run speaker from the PS2 without wiring up to the X's radio?

#5 biohazard how did you mount that outlet?

Gator[/b]
1. I'm running a 300W.

2. The on/off switch can use a really high guage wire, I think I just used a 24 guage speaker wire.

4. I don't think so. I have an aftermarket stereo that I had to buy an input jack to route the PS2 sound through the speakers.

5. I took the face off the inverter, and used it as a template. Using a small drill bit, I drilled out the outline of the plugin, then used a file to smooth the rough spots. If you do this, you definately want to use a lower guauge wire for the plugins.

#297037 - 17/04/03 04:48 AM Re: Monitor & DVD options???
MEYEX Offline

I didn't really mount the PS2. I just slide it behind the passenger seat. Kinda sucks for whoever is sitting back there, because it kills there foot room. But at any given time it's either me or me and my wife. I bought a second power cord and harness for the PS2 so that one could be permanantly wired in the truck and the second pair to use in the house. Like i said, I just slide the PS2 in and out at will. I also used a 300W inverter and same gauge wire as Biohazard. I also mounted the filp down moniter where the map lights are in front of the rear veiw mirror.

#297038 - 17/04/03 05:33 AM Re: Monitor & DVD options???
ecfiffer Offline

Loc: Aiken South Carolina
My better half and I are looking at doing something like what is discused here, I would love to see some install pictures that any might have (other then what has been posted on this tread). Thanks Eric

#297039 - 17/04/03 09:54 AM Re: Monitor & DVD options???
OKC-X Offline

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Here is one I did with a computer instead of a PS2: XPuter Installation

OKC-X

#297040 - 17/04/03 10:42 PM Re: Monitor & DVD options???
Excelagator Offline

Thanks guys for all the info. I'm quite impressed on all the set-ups. OKC now has me drooling! I do what a PC in my X. The main reason being I can link up GPS with a Map software.

#297041 - 22/04/03 12:15 PM Re: Monitor & DVD options???
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
Man, if you go with a cheap DVD player, stay away from APEX. Heard nothing good about them, especially from a couple friends that own A/V repair shops. Sucks cause everyone has them for dirt cheap, but I guess you get what you pay for...

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal