shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#297587 - 22/03/08 08:58 PM Connecting multiple amps?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have one amp powering my comps and I want to install a sub I have sitting in the garage. How would I connect this amp as seeing I already have one? Is there a way to connect the new to the current amp?

#297588 - 23/03/08 07:03 AM Re: Connecting multiple amps?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some amps have a passthrough for the input signal, and you're going to need power.

If your power wiring is insufficient, you'll need to either run an additional wire to the new amp, or upsize your existing wire.

If your amp doesn't have a passthrough, you can Wye off the existing RCA's or run new ones from the head unit.

The problem with the Wye connections, is that you'll need a crossover of some sort, either built in the amp or added on. You'll also loose your fading capability in the head unit to set your subwoofer's level relative to the full range complement.

If you have any doubts in yourself of doing this correctly or safely, PLEASE let a professional do it for you.

#297589 - 23/03/08 08:54 PM Re: Connecting multiple amps?
Anonymous
Unregistered

its simple, if you dont have another rc line to run from your head unit then but to line splices to give signal to your amps. as far as power goes buy two t blocks...i have a couple stinger blocks in my truck for 0 guage. its not hard you should be able to figure it out

#297590 - 25/03/08 08:47 AM Re: Connecting multiple amps?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XterraAdam:
Some amps have a passthrough for the input signal, and you're going to need power.

If your power wiring is insufficient, you'll need to either run an additional wire to the new amp, or upsize your existing wire.

If your amp doesn't have a passthrough, you can Wye off the existing RCA's or run new ones from the head unit.

The problem with the Wye connections, is that you'll need a crossover of some sort, either built in the amp or added on. You'll also loose your fading capability in the head unit to set your subwoofer's level relative to the full range complement.

If you have any doubts in yourself of doing this correctly or safely, PLEASE let a professional do it for you.
This is exactly right. Only thing I'll add is to check what gauge of wire is recommended by each amp. If the same, then get a dual amp wire kit. If not, just get another single amp kit and wire it that way.

And most amps (that are worth their salt anyways) have input passthroughs so you should be able to run rcas from 1 amp to the other for the signal.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal