2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#298116 - 01/06/05 11:57 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

how do u take out the tweeters, on the window side

thank you

#298117 - 02/06/05 03:03 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Had a special phillips head screw driver similar to one of these and it worked quite nice:

Got the speaker coves off with a utlity knife. Just stick the blade in the crack and pry up gently and they pop off very easy. If you decide to run your own wire for your new tweeters the dash it is VERY easy. Just get a bunch extra and start shoving it in the dash till it pops though the under side of the dash.

#298118 - 02/06/05 03:04 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

you can also use your fingers and finger nails. doesnt take much to get the tweeter covers off.

#298119 - 02/06/05 09:42 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I see snowboardguy and mtbcyclist both replaced the front 6x9s for 6 and 6.5 components. Looks like there is only 1 mftr that makes 6x9 components (MB Quart) so I see why. Would with either (or both) of you elaborate on the process for modifying the 6x9 speaker pocket to accomodate a 6 or 6.5??

Also, where did you mount the crossoverS for front and rear speaker sets?

Thanks guys - your posts have been very helpful so far.

#298120 - 02/06/05 11:27 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by int411:
Would with either (or both) of you elaborate on the process for modifying the 6x9 speaker pocket to accomodate a 6 or 6.5??

Also, where did you mount the crossoverS for front and rear speaker sets?

Thanks guys - your posts have been very helpful so far.
this is what i did for my front doors. I took the factory 6X9 and traced it onto some 3/4" MDF. cut a hole in the middle to accomidate your speaker. get some 2" screw with the same thread and your good.

If you look on the 1st page of this thread you will see that mtbcyclist has a picture of where he placed his front crossovers. thats where i put mine as well but the passenger side i placed high up over the floor area (where your feet would be if your sitting normally). you shouldnt have rear crossovers. if you run front components and rear components that would just be a lot of highs in your X IMO. juts gets some mids and your good there as well.

#298121 - 05/06/05 06:56 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't have cross overs for my rear speakers. I purchased cheaper 2 way speakers to provide "fill" since you can't here them from the front anways and I rarely have passengers in the back.

#298122 - 06/06/05 06:54 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

fosgate has a set of 6x9 componenets. you can find them in crutchfield. i am assuming they are a version of the stock 05 units

#298123 - 06/06/05 08:02 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got the back speakers in over the weekend. Even though replaced with 6.5's I ended up having to fabricate a template to get them lined up. Was actually a lot more work than I anticipated (but I have not done this before). And no way am I going to try running new wires! Got lots of pics - will post once project is further along.

I am going to put front components in tomorrow night - is there any way to avoid running new wire for the tweeters/crossovers? Seems that factory front speaker wire must now go from HU to a factory crossover with two sets of wires going from factory xover to tweeter and door. Does anyone know where the factory tweeter and factory door speakers meet - I assume this would be at the factory crossover (if there is one). Best case would be that I leave all wiring as is and just mount the new crossover where factory crossover is. I see a lot of discussion about replacing the fronts and mounting the x-overs in the doors or under dash but not much about the wiring aspect of it.

#298124 - 10/06/05 11:16 AM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Holy cow that's awesome.

I was just talking about making the same enclosure the other day to get rid of my bulky in the way box...but in my '03 there's a 6 X 9 right in the way there and I don't knwo what to do...

Great work!

#298125 - 10/06/05 11:35 AM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

svalldaybc,

I have the same problem....so I'm gonna remove the 6x9 (cause they suck anyway) and use the space for a SUB. Then I'll add 5.25" drivers in the rear doors.

#298126 - 10/06/05 01:47 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by skydive814:
svalldaybc,

I have the same problem....so I'm gonna remove the 6x9 (cause they suck anyway) and use the space for a SUB. Then I'll add 5.25" drivers in the rear doors.
Thats a good idea too. I had also thought about just running 2 10's and incorporating new 6X9's into the box...If they flush up like I would want them too it should work out nice...I'll keep an eye out for your ideas!

#298127 - 13/06/05 06:38 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go here:

http://www.cmcworld.net/#

That guy has an older X. He put rear speakers in the rear doors. I did not have too because the 05 X has rear speakers in the rear doors. He did a pretty sweet job too.

#298128 - 13/06/05 09:33 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
n2 Offline

Loc: Venice Beach, Ca
Thanks for the plug. [Wave]

#298129 - 25/06/05 07:16 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

mtbcyclist or snowboardguy - what install kit did you use? I just installed an Alpine 9855 with a kit from Best Buy that turned out pretty bad. I wasn't able to get the trim plate on the Alpine either - your kits look much better. Any help is appreciated.

#298130 - 25/06/05 09:36 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

i used this...
scosche

you can buy it here or check out the local audio shops around your place.
car domain

#298131 - 26/06/05 08:47 AM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks snowboardguy - I checked Scosche website before posting but somehow missed this one.

#298132 - 02/07/05 03:05 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
satrider Offline

Loc: South FL
What would happen if I replace the stock 6x9 in the front with my infinity 2 ways 6x9's that I had in my old Xterra and keep the tweeters in dash? I have all my speakers from my old X that I was going to install in the new 05 until I found out they reversed the order (bastards) of the speakers. So now I have a set of Infinity 6x9's and a set of Infinity 6.5 components that I donno if I want to use since I don't feel like fabricating pannels just to mount 6.5 in front when I have a 6x9 hole. So I was thinking why not just plop the 6x9 two way in and be done with it. Has anyone tried putting their seperates in the back door as in using 6.5 and a tweeter?

#298133 - 02/07/05 05:54 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by satrider:
What would happen if I replace the stock 6x9 in the front with my infinity 2 ways 6x9's that I had in my old Xterra and keep the tweeters in dash?
No problem there! I put Boston SL95's (6x9) up front, and left the factory dash tweeters as is. I was orginally gonna unplug the dash tweets 'cause I figured they would suck and detract from the sound. It actually sounded better with the factory dash tweets left "on" - so that's how I left it.

Only potential issue I see is that those 6.5" component speakers might be better than the 6x9 two-ways. Normally you want your best speakers up front, of course.

I say give it a shot...

#298134 - 04/07/05 06:22 AM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
What would happen if I replace the stock 6x9 in the front with my infinity 2 ways 6x9's that I had in my old Xterra and keep the tweeters in dash?
Should work just fine but your 6x9s won't have any high frequency sound comming out of them effectively making them a one way speaker. Thats because the factory crossover will filter out all the high frequency sound out and send it to your factory dash tweeters.

#298135 - 04/07/05 08:42 AM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't the factory crossovers only filter out low frequency to the dash tweeters, leaving the full signal going to the 6x9's?

Not sure on this, but I assumed that the dash tweets were the only thing affected by the "crossover" which I'm assuming is just a cheesy capacitor right on the tweeter. (in effect, a high pass filter only affecting that speaker)

I have not removed the dash tweeters so i don't know for sure. If what mtbcyclist says is true I gotta revisit my set up!!!

I'm not an electronics expert and I could be way off base on this, so I'm guessing mtbcyclist is right and I'm wrong on this??

#298136 - 04/07/05 09:25 AM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
the factory crossover will filter out all the high frequency sound out and send it to your factory dash tweeters.
He's right. Your 6x9s won't get any high end signal, because the xover will send it to the pillar tweets...effectively making the tweets in the 6x9 useless.

I think the pillar tweets sound like crap compared to the tweets in the aftermarket speakers. They sound like air hissing through a leaking box...and very dirty at high volume. It's your system, but you'll be hard pressed to get people to agree with the idea that the stock tweets sound good when you have components/coaxles in the doors.

-sky

#298137 - 09/07/05 09:37 AM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of the two dash photos we've got in this post, I see two different dash kits... one being the Scosche and I can't seem to figure out what the first member used? I'd prefer the one with the wider pocket (pictured first, below), anyone know what it is?:

This is the Scosche, and a slimmer opening for the pocket:

#298138 - 09/07/05 04:09 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

mtbcyclist I hate to say it but I have copied most of your install! I am almost done and have two questions re the sub box.

1. Do you know how many cubic feet the enclosure you made provides? Looks like the 10" type R I bought requires about .6 -- I was thinking I might need to drop down to an 8" but thought I'd check in with you first.

2. Any tips on brand of fiberglass - is there a kit that you recommend? Any other tips on working with fiberglass - I have never used it.

#298139 - 10/07/05 07:21 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont worry about copying. I would have done the same but my I was one of the first 05 X owners so I had no body to copy. I just dived in and did it.

Quote:
1. Do you know how many cubic feet the enclosure you made provides? Looks like the 10" type R I bought requires about .6 -- I was thinking I might need to drop down to an 8" but thought I'd check in with you first.
It provides about .6 +/- 10% which is within alpines range on the specs for a 10". I actually filled it with mulch to get a fairly accurate volume measurement. I use mulch cause that was all I had access to that was easy to work with. I suggest sand if to get an exact measurement. Make the box to an approximate measurement. If to big add a 2x4 chunk. If to small cut off on of the ends and re-do it. My advice is to keep the 10" as you have plenty of room. It will hit deeper and move more air. Combine it with a 600 watt alpine amp and it will shake the X. But if you truely want bass and love rap music you need two 10"s and 2 600 watt amps. I am very happy with my setup as I am not a huge rap fan. Its very loud and more importantly crystal clear. I literally hear stuff in music I never head before.

Quote:
2. Any tips on brand of fiberglass - is there a kit that you recommend? Any other tips on working with fiberglass - I have never used it.
Walmart baby!!! Got all my stuff from there. If you can find a marine place where you can buy a gallon of resin I would suggest that. You may get a better price on a larger quantity. Just do a price comparison.

There used to be a few very good web sites that showed "how to" but I just checked them and they are not online anymore which stinks because they helped me a bunch.

Do you need a quick how to? If so I will post a seperate "how to" in this section since the online resources I used (which rocked) on the web do not seem to exist anymore (sucks).

#298140 - 10/07/05 07:57 PM Re: My new custom system with custom single 10" sub box - 05/06. (pictures)
bdjones72 Offline

Loc: Buckeye, AZ
Just thought I would add a few pics of my system which I just finished up last week. I covered the Amp Rack and Sub Box with a faux suede, however my technique was less than perfect so there are a few wrinkles. I may end up re-doing it with speaker carpet. I knew that I wasn't going to paint it so I just sanded things smooth, but not smooth enough for a good paint job. A great site for fiberglass work and help is Glassman\'s Custom Forum I pretty much used this site to teach myself how to build my system, which was my first.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal