shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#299245 - 19/06/03 02:34 PM Drivin' with just fog lights on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 2002 X (of course, S/C'd). Is it possible to have your parking lights and fog lights on only while driving, I saw a yellow X this morning on I-5 with parking lights and fog lights while driving.

#299246 - 19/06/03 02:48 PM Re: Drivin' with just fog lights on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 2002 SE and I don't have that option. The fog lights only come on when you turn on the headlights. Also they go off when you turn on the highbeams. I saw a picture in the gallery with an X with the fog lights and parking lights on. You would probably have to do some re-wiring.

#299247 - 19/06/03 03:31 PM Re: Drivin' with just fog lights on?
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
Try this foglight mod Try a search, some guys turn into the HULK about doing a search first. [Wave]
Gator

#299248 - 19/06/03 04:27 PM Re: Drivin' with just fog lights on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the info.

#299249 - 19/06/03 09:39 PM Re: Drivin' with just fog lights on?
X-Fire Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Just wondering, but why would you want to do this?

#299250 - 20/06/03 08:19 AM Re: Drivin' with just fog lights on?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
That's illegal you know, and obnoxious.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#299251 - 20/06/03 08:36 AM Re: Drivin' with just fog lights on?
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Fire:
Just wondering, but why would you want to do this?
I prefer having my parking lights and fogs on on cloudy days. A little less blinding than having low beams on. Also I drive Northern Wisconsin roads at night loaded with deer. Yes it is illegal to have high beams and fogs on at the same time. It is also illegal to blind oncoming traffic with just high beams. laugh
Gator

#299252 - 20/06/03 03:04 PM Re: Drivin' with just fog lights on?
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
TXDOT states fog/offroad lights and highbeams are illegal together... not fogs alone. Maybe it varies state to state? My Camaro also allowed fogs and parking together from the factory...

I think I'll fix mine this weekend... looks like it's not hard to do... I was planning on enabling fogs any time the key is in the ignition. Only downside would be the minor current draw for the relay if you left the key in the ignition (~30mA).

I'm assuming of course, the 2002 manual is printed correctly. smile
-=RB

#299253 - 10/07/03 08:03 AM Re: Drivin' with just fog lights on?
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
Did the mod last night, except I went overboard somewhat and added a relay to the mix to change switch operation depending on whether the key is inserted or not.

With the key in, fogs have power all the time. With it out, they revert to normal operation.
The switch still works to turn them on or off regardless of key position.

This way, I can have the lights come on when I hop into the truck, and don't have to worry about leaving them on accidentally. The chime also sounds when the key is in, so I have an additional reminder.. and I am not limited to having parking lights on to turn on fogs (I can't see the parking lights during the daytime anyhow, and my main goal is to simulate DRL, so parking lights are a waste of energy.)

The only caveat is if you leave the key in the ignition, you are powering a small 30mA relay. It should take quite a while to drain the battery from that, so it's no big deal.

Oh yeah - OffroadX - my wiring isn't smart enough to shut off fogs when the high beams are on... hmm, waitaminute, I can just run the ground for the relay coil through the highbeams power wire. Maybe use another diode to keep highbeams from back-feeding into the keyswitch line... Kool. nevermind. I can make that change tonight and be totally legal. smile

If anyones interested, I'll draw a diagram and post it somewhere.

-=RB

#299254 - 10/07/03 10:43 AM Re: Drivin' with just fog lights on?
bennet Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by rb42:
Did the mod last night, except I went overboard somewhat and added a relay to the mix to change switch operation depending on whether the key is inserted or not.

With the key in, fogs have power all the time. With it out, they revert to normal operation.
The switch still works to turn them on or off regardless of key position.

This way, I can have the lights come on when I hop into the truck, and don't have to worry about leaving them on accidentally. The chime also sounds when the key is in, so I have an additional reminder.. and I am not limited to having parking lights on to turn on fogs (I can't see the parking lights during the daytime anyhow, and my main goal is to simulate DRL, so parking lights are a waste of energy.)

The only caveat is if you leave the key in the ignition, you are powering a small 30mA relay. It should take quite a while to drain the battery from that, so it's no big deal.

Oh yeah - OffroadX - my wiring isn't smart enough to shut off fogs when the high beams are on... hmm, waitaminute, I can just run the ground for the relay coil through the highbeams power wire. Maybe use another diode to keep highbeams from back-feeding into the keyswitch line... Kool. nevermind. I can make that change tonight and be totally legal. smile

If anyones interested, I'll draw a diagram and post it somewhere.

-=RB
Just to clarify for me... You are saying that with your mod, with the key inserted, your fogs have standby power all the time? The relay is bypassing power across the factory relay (I'm guessing here) that is activated when the headlights are on?

You are not saying that everytime you insert the key (i.e., everytime you drive your truck), the fogs are forced on?

Please do provide a drawing.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal