2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#299346 - 18/01/03 01:42 PM Where's that noisy fuel pump?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Actually, I guess a better question is - is there a Haynes-type manual out for the X?

I put in a CB - and I'm tired of listening to my fuel pump whine at me. I've tried all sorts of different ground locations, low pass filters, heavy power wires running straight to the battery etc.

I'm thinking that putting a capacitor across the fuel pump power terminals will help to kill off the noise - but I haven't been brave enough yet to start removing armor plates and fuel tank bolts looking for it. Is it an in-tank pump? Does anyone have any advice on how to get to it? Am I wasting my time?

BTW: I think the mounting method I used for the CB was pretty cool - I didn't want to mark up / damage my dash with screws etc. so I took some home duct hanger (strip of metal abot 3/4" wide with holes all along its length), wrapped some duct tape around it (to keep it from scratching), and snaked it around behind the glove box. The CB mount screws will go through the holes in the hanger strip. It looks pretty amateur, but I have the CB hanging under the glove box were I wanted it and I didn't have to hurt anything!

#299347 - 18/01/03 08:53 PM Re: Where's that noisy fuel pump?
kayak_x Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA
The pump is indeed inside the fuel tank. Where are you taking your power and where are you grounding? Most people are able to get a clean, noiseless install.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal