2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#300209 - 13/01/06 07:04 AM XM2GO direct connect to 05 RF
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all-
After searching around, I couldn't find anything specific to my problem, so I thought I'd ask.

I've ordered a Tao XM2GO portable satellite radio that I want to eventually direct-connect to my '05 RF HU for quality's sake. I'm going to try the built in FM modulator first and see how that goes, but I'm waiting for the new version of the PAC AAI-NIS to come out in case I need a direct connection.

Has anyone tried installing/connecting this unit (meaning the portable XM). My assumption is that the process would apply to the Pioneer and Delphi MyFi systems as well.
Any tips on direct connect for power?

If not, I'm sure I can use the other tips from the forum and klooge something together. When I get into it, I'll let you know how it goes.

#300210 - 13/01/06 09:08 AM Re: XM2GO direct connect to 05 RF
mav63 Offline

Loc: DC
Most people tap power off of the 12v socket. I disassembled the 12v car power adapter that came with my Roady and soldered wires onto the adapter and the other end of the wires soldered onto the backside of the 12v socket on the truck. Works great.
The sound quality off of an FM modulator or transmitter is awful. You'll want to direct connect the XM2GO into the headunit if possible. Not sure what setup you have in an 05.

#300211 - 13/01/06 11:30 AM Re: XM2GO direct connect to 05 RF
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haven't dissembled the head unit, but from what I read on here about the 05's, since my RF unit is already pre-wired for SAT, I can use the PAC AAI-NIS box to run two aux inputs from the SAT plug on the back of the HU.

I figured I would have to solder to the back of the power socket for a permanent install, most likely the one that is only active when the car is on. Is there a limit on the power draw for one socket? the reason I ask is that I have a TomTom GPS unit already plugged in to that same outlet using it's car adaptor (nothing hardwired).

#300212 - 14/01/06 02:42 PM Re: XM2GO direct connect to 05 RF
Anonymous
Unregistered

Basement Nerd -- what do you mean, "waiting for the new version of the PAC AAI-NIS?" Have you heard that they are revising it? The reason that I ask is that I have had one on order from Beach Audio since Dec. 4th and it is still backordered. If there is a new version, I want to make sure that I get the latest.

I would appreciate any info that you can give me!

Dennis

#300213 - 15/01/06 05:36 PM Re: XM2GO direct connect to 05 RF
Anonymous
Unregistered

Barrister,
I seem to recall seeing information about it on this board. After a bit of searching, I found this old post from a few weeks ago.

In it, Rinky explains that PAC said they are revising the product and it should be available by the end of the month.
It ain't written in stone, but it's the best I have to go on...
In the meantime, I'm just monitoring different distributor sites and waiting for them to be back in stock.
Good luck...hopefully they'll send the new version!

#300214 - 15/01/06 09:25 PM Re: XM2GO direct connect to 05 RF
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe they are revising it so you can have an auxiliary input and the OEM satellite system plugged in at the same time. I'm guessing it will have automatic switching but we can't be sure until they release it.

#300215 - 26/01/06 02:24 PM Re: XM2GO direct connect to 05 RF
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did a little investigation myself. They have just released a new version! Go to www.pac-audio.com. The new PAC AAI-NIS2 accomodates both the factory satellite and the auxilliary input at the same time, which is good. However, when you use the ABC switch, you lose FM presets in B and C, and you can't keep SAT preset stations in B and C if you have it hooked up.

However, I think that you can switch from A (radio) to B (aux1) to C (Aux 2). They are supposedly filling backorders while we speak. Luckily I have a backorder from December at Beach Audio. smile

#300216 - 12/02/06 04:47 PM Re: XM2GO direct connect to 05 RF
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just installed a PAC AAI-NIS2 today. Pretty straight forward from using what I read on this forum, except routing the cables for the iPods. I ended up bringing them down next to the glove compartment right next to the passenger footwell.

One thing that is a total bummer about the PAC AAI-NIS2 is that you can not use ANY volume control while it is selected other than the iPod. That includes the volume knob on the radio! Therefore, I have to select CD (because it is at a lower volume than FM)and then put it at volume level 20, before moving on to the iPod auxiliary. Then I have enough room to control the volume on the iPod up and down. Afterward, I have to skip past the FM really quickly, and go to CD to lower the volume back down.

Not nearly as elegant as the new Nissan interface, but it is 1/3 the price, and the sound is good.

#300217 - 15/02/06 08:40 PM Re: XM2GO direct connect to 05 RF
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just ordered a Tao XM2go...my 05 SE has XM. I'm really glad I got the RF w/XM.

Good luck with the install. Check XMfan.com and XM411.com for install photos and info.

#300218 - 07/03/06 01:20 PM Re: XM2GO direct connect to 05 RF
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Barrister:
One thing that is a total bummer about the PAC AAI-NIS2 is that you can not use ANY volume control while it is selected other than the iPod. That includes the volume knob on the radio!
Really?
I have no experience with the 2nd revision (that allows you to have Sat and PAC box plugged in, but I have the original version and I do not have that issue. Both the volume knob on the radio and the steering wheel controls work as one would expect them to.
That sounds very bizzare.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal