2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#300787 - 21/06/03 11:51 AM Stock fog lights wired to wrok with parking lights.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was just curious. I just saw a 03 frontier sc with the stock foglight running with the parking lights. How is this possible. Mine only come on with the headlights and shut off with the highs. Can this be switched easily.

Looks real cool.
Why do the fogs turn off when the highs are on anyway. When you put the highs on you want more light and no one is in front of you, why not have all available lights burning bright????

#300788 - 21/06/03 01:25 PM Re: Stock fog lights wired to wrok with parking lights.
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
They are set up that way because it is illegal to run with the fogs as your primary illumination, and since they are fog lights they have a short throw and are useless when coupled with the long-throw hi-beams. Plus you shouldn't be using your high beams in fog in the first place since it will all bounce back at you and reduce your visibility.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#300789 - 25/06/03 02:46 PM Re: Stock fog lights wired to wrok with parking lights.
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
Okay - I looked it up. Man, what a pain. The legalese is heinous!

But I cannot see anywhere that it states that fog or auxillary driving lights cannot be running by themselves. I checked the Fed DOT and the TX DOT transportation code.

I did see:1. Highbeams can't be turned on on a parked vehicle (TXDOT).
2. Lowbeams can be used with highbeams IF they help the vehicle meet the requirements for highbeams, and they can also be used for signaling or momentarily when switching between high/low.
3. Auxilary lights are restricted but only from going past 75 feet of road (in front of the vehicle) or if they are brighter than 3000 candella. They also can't be directed into oncoming drivers eyes.
4. Aside from hazzard or turn signals, lights must burn steadily.

So, I guess the question is... how many candella are the stock fog lights? less than 3K, use them however you want.. except with highbeams.

I can re-look up the code and links if anyone is really interested...

EDIT - used in a Qbeam, an H3 style bulb can produce 200,000 candela. I think that's a bit over 3,000... guess I'll re-read this stuff and make sure it's legal.. I still think so. (for texas and federal regulations)

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal