2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#300999 - 18/04/06 12:02 PM AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I've finally completed (nearly) the install of my AVIC-Z1 into my '05 X. I'll try to provide all of my lessons learned along with my "review" of the unit as I go along. I will also try not to duplicate any information or efforts already provided elsewhere on this forum...

To start off, the pieces I purchased were the AVIC-Z1 unit itself, the CD-iB100ii (2nd generation) iPod interface unit, the GEX-P10XMT NavTraffic XM tuner, the PAC OEM-2 interface (since I'm utilizing the factory amp and speakers, and the PAC SWI-PSI steering wheel control interface. On to the install....

The first thing I did was remove all of the center console pieces and find a place for the XM tuner:

The location behind the bottom glove box seemed ideal because it appeared that the xm unit and the ipod unit would fit behind the most protruding piece of plastic behind the glove box.

Pictured below is the PAC OEM-2 box that goes between the AVIC-Z1 wiring harness and the factory harness. I first tested the unit without this piece, and I nearly blew the speakers. I set the input level to the lowest possible. I have clear, crisp sound to all four speakers. The install was straight-forward. It was at this point that I decided to ground the parking break lead from the Z1. I knew that this would be the first step to bypassing the in-motion video lockout "feature."

Here is the PAC OEM-2 behind the environmental controls. As you can see, it's pretty tight behind there:

Test run of the unit installed (booting up and displaying a map of where you are is a good thing!):

How did I run the XM and GPS wires? Well, nothing too permanent at all, but it'll work for the time being (I've had an XM antenna installed like this for the past 8 months without a problem). First of all, they're side-by-side on the roof:

Then the wires run underneath the roof basket, to the molding around the window:

...And finally, the GPS runs through a hole in the side of the car, and the XM runs behind the molding:

...And with a max of 8 pics per post:

#301000 - 18/04/06 12:11 PM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I was ready to do a full test of the system:

As you can see, all of the Auxiliary inputs/outputs are accessible by simply removing the console cover (so you don't have to remove the head unit if it's a quick change):

And the obligatory DVD test:

The [initial] install location of the ipod adapter:

Looking better...

I decided to located the iPod connector in the top glove box, so I cut a hole in the top, which turned out to not be too noticable from the passenger's view:

BUT...apparently everything was going too smoothly. As it turns out, our glove boxes are not straight in the back, and Nissan had already intended on using the empty space where I had put my XM and iPod units. So I need to relocate the iPod unit, and lower the XM unit a bit:

And for the steering wheel control, you use the wiring harness that has 3 wires in it (cutting the wires got me a little nervous). The blue gets grounded, and the gray and red ones get resistors (one a 47Ohm and one a 150Ohm) tied to them, which get connected to the white wire on the PAC OEM-2. Then you provide the OEM-2 with a ground and switched power, and you're connected. Programming the OEM-2 isn't too difficult, once you know that the X is "version 3" (if you have any questions for the exact programming of the OEM-2, feel free to ask). Here is the (albeit, blurry) picture of the wiring harness that you need to cut:

#301001 - 18/04/06 12:24 PM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

More install notes:

The installation is straight-forward--nothing too advanced. This forum was helpful in locating the VSS wire (which is the light blue wire in the factory harness--and gets "translated" to a black wire on the aftermarket wiring harness). I did not install the reverse-light sensor, as I don't plan on installing the rear-mounted camera.

As for the in-motion video bypass, here is what I've done: I noticed that so long as the VSS signal is detected, it trusts the connection. This means that so long as it's on, and senses the connection, and the signal drops, then it assumes the vehicle is stopped. Soooo, I simply but a switch on that line. When I start the X, I make sure the circuit is closed, and then I start moving, and everything is as designed. Then, if I want to watch a DVD, I simply open the circuit and the Z1 thinks the vehicle is stopped (shows a speed of 0mph on the vehicle dynamics display), and displays the DVD video on the monitor. The only bad (sort-of) part to this, is that because the Z1 thinks you're stopped, it stopped tracking your GPS position. But simply flip the switch, and it relocates your position on the map to your position on the world. Not bad for a cheap fix, in my opinion...

Testing and evaluation:

AV Source Menu:

XM Display:

iPod Interface Display (notice all id Tag info):

iPod Search Display (just like using your iPod):

GPS Display (notice NavTraffic inputs on I95 around DC):

Hard Drive Library View:

Destination Menu:

Unit Open:

#301002 - 18/04/06 12:33 PM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

As for my opinion...what can I say? ---It's money, baby; it's money.

Final Shot (notice the switch for the VSS by the driver foot well--the last thing I have to do is permenantly mount the switch):

But yeah--what does one expect me to say about the unit--nothing but good things. So I'll be fair...

...Here are some cons to the unit:
- scrolling through lists is a little slower than I'd like
- when using the "preview" function in XM, the list always starts off at channel one instead of the station you're on
- there is a *slight* delay with the steering wheel control. it's managable, but I've gotten used to a quick flick of the volume rocker to raise it one "notch." it now requires a good .25 second "hold."
- nothing special about the voice recognition. as with most all voice recognition software, you still have to clearly pronounce everything louder than usual speech.

To sum up--I'm a huge fan of this unit. I'd recommend it to all! Can't wait to get a bluetooth phone so I can utilize that feature, too!

So anyway, that's my writeup--feel free to shoot any questions ya got.

#301003 - 18/04/06 12:52 PM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks great, dude. I was hoping that you took pics of where the VSS wire was. I have the speed pulse generator right now and I want to take that out.

#301004 - 18/04/06 01:00 PM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I meant to do that...but the best I can do off the top of my head: it's a light blue wire on the corner of one of the two factory harnesses. I think I remember you having one of the Eclipse nav units, so if you're using an aftermarket wiring harness adapter like the one I've got, then it's a black wire that doesn't get connected to anything. It's fairly accurate (I've noticed +-2mph) when compared to the speedo.

Hope that helps, but I'll definitely snap a shot of it the next time I take the head unit out.

Good luck...

#301005 - 18/04/06 02:23 PM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

DAMN that looks nice!

The only reason I went with a flip screen is that I do NOT want the screen visible when I'm parked. Otherwise that thing looks MONEY.

max6spd: The blue wire in the stereo harness is apparently for RF-equipped X's. without the RF option you have to tap into the instrument cluster. Check out the thread at thenewx.

#301006 - 19/04/06 05:43 AM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

That looks great. How is the iPod interface treating you? Looks like it's leaps and bounds in front of their old one!

#301007 - 19/04/06 06:02 AM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

The fit and finish looks great. Even better than my Eclipse AVN5435. The AVN has these sightly gaps that my installer had to fabricate a plastic plate to cover.

What I didn't like about the Pioneer is the 2v outputs. The AVN has 5v and when I get money to get amps and speakers, I wanted the higher output.

I'm thinking of going with the Kenwood offering though. It looks promising with 5v output, Bluetooth, and iPod. Hmmm.....

#301008 - 19/04/06 06:03 AM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

What color are the buttons? Can you do amber or are they only green?

#301009 - 19/04/06 07:11 AM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

The buttons are blue, actually... And I don't think you can change them (but I prefer to amber, anyway).

Here\'s a link to the owner\'s manual.

#301010 - 19/04/06 07:25 AM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by CDDiG:
That looks great. How is the iPod interface treating you? Looks like it's leaps and bounds in front of their old one!
The iPod interface is awesome. In fact, I don't see myself using the internal hard drive much for music--unless it's a rare case of someone else buying a cd and not letting me borrow it. But yeah...as you can see from the pics, it displays all the track info on the screen, and the sound quality is on point (makes you really notice the lossy compression that XM uses). The only drawback to the interface is the scrolling; There really isn't "scrolling," only "page down-ing." And the refresh rate is a *little* slower than I'd like, so if you start searching by artist, and you have a thousand artists on your 60GB iPod, and you want to get to Nancy Reagan's rendition of The National Anthem, it may take a while. But I realize now that good iPod playlist management is required for in-car iPod use. Once I get my playlists organized, I suspect my complaints will diminish.

So yeah, big [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] for the iPod interface. I hadn't used the 1st gen adapter, but from what I hear, this is a much better release.

Note: I do not listen to music by Nancy Reagan. Nor do I have any Nancy Reagan music on my iPod. In fact, in all likelyhood, Nancy Reagan has never recorded music. It was just an example. I swear.

#301011 - 02/05/06 07:03 AM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey i've heard of a bypass that should work for a z1...i haven't tested it out but try it out.
if you have the illumination wire hooked up, simply turn you lights on and off three times, during the boot up stage.

here's a link.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

#301012 - 02/05/06 07:56 PM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sweet!!!

#301013 - 02/05/06 08:18 PM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awesome job! and what a perfect fit.

#301014 - 05/05/06 10:45 AM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, yeah--it fits quite well.

And YES---THE ILLUMINATION BYPASS WORKS! All I do is when the "Pioneer Navigation Loading..." message pops up, flick the parking breaks on and off three times, and everything is good to go. Great stuff--I just need to install a relay or some other device that does that for me automatically...

#301015 - 08/05/06 05:48 AM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

dang...
nice...
looks good

#301016 - 09/05/06 11:02 AM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you read that link a little more, they talk about buying a device where you can set up the pulses and timing of the pulses. I figure why spend more money when you can easily turn the lights on and off or just hook up a toggle switch between the illumination wire off the HU and a 12 volt source.

#301017 - 16/07/06 06:54 PM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks VaTech03, for the info. I just finished installing my Z1 today. The thing is amazing! And the 3D view...wow.

Also, thanks to DieselAzn for telling where to find the VSS wire for us non-RF folks. And also for the reverse light wire. Both worked like a champ!

Another thanks to Cyclemut for telling how to get to the stereo.

The only time I was on my own was for the illumination wire for which I had to break down and spend the $20 on a multimeter.

Great site!

#301018 - 16/07/06 06:57 PM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh yeah...and the flasher circuit (override "safety" features) from sminntech is worth every penny...all 3,500 pennies.

#301019 - 17/07/06 09:31 AM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Adams:
Thanks VaTech03, for the info. I just finished installing my Z1 today. The thing is amazing! And the 3D view...wow.

Also, thanks to DieselAzn for telling where to find the VSS wire for us non-RF folks. And also for the reverse light wire. Both worked like a champ!

The only time I was on my own was for the illumination wire for which I had to break down and spend the $20 on a multimeter.

Great site!
Glad you got it working...mind if I ask where you found an illumination wire?

#301020 - 18/07/06 05:13 PM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by armandov99:
Quote:
[b]Thanks VaTech03, for the info. I just finished installing my Z1 today. The thing is amazing! And the 3D view...wow.

Great site!
Glad you got it working...mind if I ask where you found an illumination wire?[/b]
The "illumination" wire I used can be located in the connector going to the electric mirror controls. I think it was red and it was one of the corner wires. Reads 12V when you turn the lights on, 0V when they're off.

Now, the screen dims when I turn my lights on (and the sky in 3D view turns to night complete with stars). The illumination wire was also needed to install the flasher circuit.

#301021 - 22/07/06 09:58 PM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

what does the flasher circuit mod do?

#301022 - 27/07/06 03:47 PM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by s4iscool:
what does the flasher circuit mod do?
http://www.sminntech.com/z1flasher.html It unlocks all the navigation & A/V features while driving.

#301023 - 02/08/06 10:16 AM Re: AVIC-Z1 Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The "illumination" wire I used can be located in the connector going to the electric mirror controls. I think it was red and it was one of the corner wires. Reads 12V when you turn the lights on, 0V when they're off.
I found it...in the service manual, page LT-143 ... it lists all the wires that get power when the lights are turned on...looks like you used the door mirror switch terminal 16, a red wire in the corner. So I'm just posting for anyone else that needs an illumination wire, you can use any of the ones on the list on page LT-143. I'll probably use something near the radio/AC/4x4 knob to keep the wire run short.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal