shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#302180 - 15/03/01 07:09 AM Need Help On Sound Level
Xman Offline

Loc: Palm Bay, FL
My New X CD Is Not That Bad But I Need Suggestion On Improving My Sound Level. I Dont Want To Buy A New Stereo CD Or Add An Amp, Does Anyone Knows If All I Do Is change My Speakers Will It Improve A Lot. Please Help. Eric

------------------

[This message has been edited by Xman (edited 03-15-2001).]

#302181 - 15/03/01 08:51 AM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
Hank Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
You might want to use the search option first as this topic has been discussed before. Speakers will help since the stock speakers are paper. Check crutchfield.com to see which speakers will fit in the X. You've got a lot of choices and Crutchfield is great to work with. Service is really good. Just curious, where in Palm Bay do you live? I lived in Indian Harbour Beach for about eight years.

------------------
Hank
2000 Yellow SE 4x4 5 Spd.
"Asian Persuasion"

#302182 - 15/03/01 09:22 AM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
Moreaux76 Offline

Loc: The Center of Hell, Florida
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet...I live in Melbourne, Xman. A local! We need to find out who else on this board, if anyone, lives in the Brevard County area.

------------------
2001 XE
V6 Auto
Just Blue
1K miles
4x2 3-pak

#302183 - 15/03/01 09:29 AM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Whoa, don't go suggesting a speaker change to make it louder. That won't neccessarily work. High quality speakers are usually harder to drive than stock speakers. Some are, some aren't. Most of the best speakers require more power and are meant to be driven with more powerful amps. When you're shopping on crutchfield, pay attention to the sensitivity rating of the speakers you're looking at. I don't know what the stock speakers are rated at, but you want something with a high sensitivity number. Those numbers are used for comparison sake. The bigger the number, the louder the speaker will be at any given power level. I think Crutchfield has a better explanation than I just gave, but don't just buy some speakers hoping it solves your problem.

------------------
Eric Konarske & Lara, my X
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

#302184 - 15/03/01 09:31 AM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
You might want to check out some "line level convertors" and pick up an amp. The LLC will take the speaker-level output and convert it to something an amp can take in. Of course, some amps have this feature built-in. Then, see how the stock speakers sound with that, and if it's not up to par, upgrade the speakers.

What's With All The Initial Caps? ;>

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#302185 - 15/03/01 09:43 AM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
Hank Offline

Just noticed that BP...it must have taken a while to type that way.

------------------
Hank
"Asian Persuasion"

#302186 - 15/03/01 10:59 AM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
TomC Offline

Loc: Plymouth, Ma, U.S.A.
Xman -

Eric brought up an excellent point. I was thinking along the same wave length as you at first, but after talking to a friend of mine who runs a stereo shop he said don't do speakers first. He has suggested to add an amp first. I'm not sure of the model#, but it is an Alpine. I know it's 35wx4. It's not a LOT of power but it should help the speakers "Come alive" a little.

A couple of quick points:

1. I would have spent more on speakers than an amp so my friend isn't feeding me B.S. to try and make money off me. Plus I get a discount anyway so he doesn't even make a whole lot when I buy from him.

2. Like Eric said upgrading speaker won't do much without an amp to power them(Depending on the speakers of course)

3. My friend has been doing stereo work for 8+ years so he has an idea of what he's talking about.

My amp is being installed Sat. I will update you with a post. So if you can hang on until then I can let you know how much difference it makes. This is the first X this shop has worked on so cross your fingers please.

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 Auto

#302187 - 15/03/01 01:39 PM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
gearhead1972 Offline

Loc: Brewster NY
When I just put my new system in the first thing that I put in was the new head unit to see what it sounded like with the stock speakers and it was a big improvement. The Kenwood is rated at 22 watts/channel RMS 45 peak. There are many companies out there that make very nice double din cd/tape/tuner units.
Alpine/JVC/Pioneer/Clarion..... The only thing is that they start about $350

------------------
Kevin
00' Super Black SE 5 speed
31" BFG M/T's, ARB, Rancho RSX's
superblackxterra.tripod.com

#302188 - 15/03/01 01:45 PM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I think this guy is onto something:
http://www.beaterz.com/one_liners/1000/100009_boomin_system.htm

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#302189 - 15/03/01 01:47 PM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
legend Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT, USA
lmao... thats just funny...

------------------
- Josh
'01 SuperBlack XE 4x4 V6 3pak
Utah Xterra Owners Club -
http://www.uxoc.org

#302190 - 15/03/01 02:39 PM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Well...this could have a few options. Alot of fatory speakers run at different ohm ratings than aftermarket. For example, If the factory speakers work at 6.5 or 8 ohm, and you put in an INEXPENSIVE speaker that runs at 4 ohms..it will pull more power from the head unit. This should only be used if it is a moderate-low price speaker replacement. THIS WILL STRESS YOUR HEADUNIT If you go to a moderate-expensice set of speakers, it might actually get quieter as the factory stereo might not push the speakers even close to recommended specs.
Another thought is replacing the head unit, which will almost always up power. You will definately increase power and sound quality, but the speakers will be worked a little harder and will fail sooner. In some cases, I've seen aftermarket headunits blow the factory speakers as soon as they were installed. Personally I would recommend saving up and doing a head unit/speakers install all at once. It will make a HUGE difference in sound quality. If you want to expange to amps or subs later, you have flexiblity if not...enjoy your new sound! It is all about what you want to do in the long run and exactly how much of an improvement over stock you really want.
John

------------------

#302191 - 15/03/01 07:39 PM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Why is the first letter of every word capitalized... ?

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#302192 - 15/03/01 09:27 PM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
blenderhead Offline

Loc: Grovetown, GA, USA
Yea I Know,....Thats Alot Of Work To Do That. hahaha

------------------
Blenderheads Xterra Homepage

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

#302193 - 16/03/01 05:26 AM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
Xman Offline

Loc: Palm Bay, FL
Why do you care how someone writes their messages. You should help me with my cd instead of criticizing. Did I do better this time BP, Hank, Legend, Xoc, Blenderhead

[This message has been edited by Xman (edited 03-16-2001).]

#302194 - 16/03/01 08:53 AM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Aww, we're not bustin' on ya, dude.

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#302195 - 16/03/01 09:05 AM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Yeah, they're a rough bunch at times, but they're really nice when you get to know 'em. Well, I'm still waiting for that to happen. But seriously, I'd much prefer to read a post like yours than one that isn't capatalized where it should be. And there's a lot more guilt to spread around here for that.

------------------
Eric Konarske & Lara, my X
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

#302196 - 16/03/01 10:17 AM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
Hank Offline

Sorry Xman...didn't mean to step on any toes.

------------------
Hank
"Asian Persuasion"

#302197 - 16/03/01 08:13 PM Re: Need Help On Sound Level
kandacarlson Offline

Loc: United States
I disagree with TomC and would encourage you to replace speakers first if you truly think you need to upgrade the sound in your X. BTW what exactly do you mean by improving your sound level? Volume? Clarity? Bass/Treble response? If you want more volume, get speakers with higher sensitivity. Crutchfield does have a good explanation for this rating, its something like for every 3dB increase in sensitivity in a speaker you need only 1/2 the wattage to gain the same amount of volume, or something.

There are probably stereo shops in your area that would let you do a comparison between your existing speakers and the ones they sell, to give you a better comaprison. If you want better clarity at higher volume, get an amp. Personally, one of the reasons we bought our X is because we thought that the stock system was great, with no immediate need for upgrade. Each to his own.

------------------
2001 SE 4x4 5-speed
Super Black

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal