shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#303208 - 09/07/03 06:36 PM CB Stuff
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I got a cheap little set up that I thought would work fine, and used it without having it permanently mounted for awhile, but now Im not sure if its died or not. I have the Maxon 30 from Walmart and a cheap little mag mount antenna from radio shack. I got it mounted in the dash, tuned the antenna so the SWR was less then 1.5 on all channels, but today, I started getting some odd behavior. On channel 19 (and only 19) I have to turn the squelch way up or I only hear static, and I havent been able to get a radio check reply for a few days. I also now cant get the SWR below 1.5 on any of the channels.

Ive looked at getting a better radio and antenna. I like the Cobra 29 series, but wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a CB that has better shielding, noise filtering, and what not, without some of the extra features (Onboard SWR meter and weatherband) that might cost a little less. As for antennas, Ive narrowed it down to the k40 base loaded whip. Any advice in the area would be appreciated, as Im not sure if the Antenna developed a problem or if the cheap little Maxon got fried by a bad SWR before it was tuned. Thanks in advance.

TJ

#303209 - 09/07/03 08:01 PM Re: CB Stuff
Robert C. Offline

Loc: Alabama
If the antenna is like most it probably doesn't have a set screw to hold it at the right length for a give SWR (that's of course not taking into account when the antenna is tightened all the way to the base). As per channel 19, it may be very busy when you try and access it, or it could be the antenna itself. Going with a better antenna (preferably one that uses a different mount type) will probably help alot. If you've got an SWR meter just stick with the Maxon until you can test it out with a better antenna.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal