2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#307587 - 12/02/04 08:40 AM (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please only reply if you KNOW the answer to my question. I've had enough opinions today thanks.

Ok gang here's the deal. Below is the light setup that I will be running on my X:
- 4" round driving lights (mounted on bumper, see post: http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=002796 )
- 6" round Light Force fogs mounted on a Westin Safari Bar
- Small round fogs for rear (to help with backing up and flashing idiots behind me with their High-Beams on...J/K)

The above setup will probably be around 200 Watts of power.

Here's the question... Can I tap this setup into the factory parking light harness? Can these wires handle that much wattage? All I want to do is run 12V +/- off of those wires. I will still be fusing all of the wiring from the parking light wires to the fogs and each set of lights will have their own switch.

If this isn't recommended I guess I can always run the 12V +/- off of the battery and use a relay from the parking lights to turn the harness on/off when I kill the lights.

The first setup is much easier, but if it is not recommended I can use the second.

Thanks for the help,
Phil

#307588 - 12/02/04 08:44 AM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
I'm confused. You want to splice the lights into your parking lights? So they'll be on whenever the parking lights are on?

At least splice it into the fog lights.

Also, I'm not sure by the question, but I assume you're using a relay and connecting the lights to the battery. If you think you can power the lights from the parking lights you're going to blow a fuse pretty quickly.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#307589 - 12/02/04 08:50 AM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry I should have elaborated on that. I want to run the power from the parking lights to a switch on my dash where I can turn them on or off. The nice thing about powering them off of the parking lights is that the fogs will shut off even if I have them on, when I kill my headlights.

Nissan runs the factory fogs in a similar way (which I do not have). They do this so you don't have to turn two sets of lights (headlights and fogslights) off when you get out of your car -and in my case (4) sets of lights.

#307590 - 12/02/04 08:54 AM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I breezed over the last part of your post. I thought a relay from the parking lights would have to be the way to go as well. I figured I'd give it a whirl to see if the parking light harness could handle that much juice.

Thanks,
Phil

#307591 - 12/02/04 09:17 AM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
Canadian5150 Offline

I think with that much juice.... you need to be ruuning seperate power lines. Nissan fogs are not as demanding as aftermarket stuff.

That being said...
How often do you plan on using the lights...

My .02, run some seperate juice and tap a relay into the lights.

#307592 - 12/02/04 09:31 AM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The rears, not often.

As for the fronts, I will probably use the lower fogs on a daily basis and the driving lights during off-roading.

#307593 - 12/02/04 09:54 AM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
wordtothis Offline

Loc: atlanta
going for the kill option when you douse the regular headlights would be a great mod, i wish i knew how to do that, but i also know that i like being able to turn on my driving lights independent of my headlights if we are stuck and i want to not run the truck for some reason. i mean, since the alternator doesn't do much for charging at idle as it does at lets say 1100+rpm, only having my driving lights on going solely off of battery power is better than having my driving lights and my headlights draining the idle battery.
as far as the fogs in the rear, let me make 2 suggestions: go with FLOODS, not fogs, you will be pretty disappointed if you go with some fogs in the rear, i know i have. AND, wire the circuit to your reverse lights so they come on when you are IN reverse, that way you can still switch them on and off, but you won't be tempted to flash your floods at an unknowing idiot behind you and possibly cause them to get even more upset with you or get into an accident. on the other hand, it would be nice to have them as sort of a work light set-up too... i just feel kinda strongly about one the flood lens thing, and two taking away someone's ability to shine bright lights directly in my face when i am already worried about following too closely or whatnot.

my $.02

david [Geek]

sorry, i guess my post could be seen as an opinion reply, don't get upset with me.

#307594 - 12/02/04 10:17 AM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply. Opinions like that I don't mind, it's opinions that are not based on fact, but merely someone's second hand knowledge that drive me nuts.

The good thing about the Light Force Lights ( http://www.raingler.com/shop/productDetails.asp?productID=61 ) is that you can get them as driving lights and attach fog light covers to them. I love that flexibility.

#307595 - 12/02/04 10:24 AM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Essentially each pair of lights will need a relay. Each pair of lights will be hooked to 1 relay and powered right from the battery. The relay will be turned off/on by power received from the parking lights.

Parking lights ON, relay enabled, flip switch to turn lights on.

Parking lights off, relay disabled, light switch does nothing.

That the setup your thinking about?

#307596 - 12/02/04 11:01 AM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
My 2 cent comment, I agree with the suggestions above, and I almost have the same set up.

Reverse lights, relayed with the stock reverse light, power comes from the aux plug in the cargo area. Added 2 switches, one in the rear, one in the front (sometimes I like the reverse lights on when loading) My lights can "only" operate when shifter is in reverse, manual tranny, but its also the law here, and I have been checked.

My front lights are 2 sets of dual's (Piaa & IPF) Each with its own relay, actually 2 relays per set of lights.

Piaa tapped to ignition switch power, works independant of headlights, but can't be left on by accident.
IPF J-01, tapped an ignition spare fuse inside the fuse panel, then also split the dual switch so I can operate highs or fogs totally independantly and independant of headlamps. By right, highs are supposed to be relayed with the highbeams of the truck, but Canadian DRL's screw up the normal relay connections.

Get real reverse lights, (look like floods, but with a diamond-like cut lense) Do Not tab total power from stock reverse light.

Guess that was more than 2 cents afterall.

#307597 - 12/02/04 05:36 PM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Get KC backup lights for the rear, they're great. they throw about the same amount of light to the rear as the stock nissan fogs do to the front.

Here's my light setups: flood, Long Range, Backup.

Xterra101.com

#307598 - 12/02/04 07:31 PM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
Anonymous
Unregistered

xcanuk,

you wrote:

"My lights can "only" operate when shifter is in reverse, manual tranny, but its also the law here, and I have been checked."

Checked during annual inspection or Police?

#307599 - 13/02/04 06:25 AM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
We don't have annual inspections here, but a cop did stop me just as I was leaving a parking spot. (at the time, I think he was just curious about the X as well) I do have another bud that had his checked when stopped for another infraction.

#307600 - 13/02/04 09:17 AM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow that stinks!

Anyone else have a similar experience in the States?

#307601 - 22/02/04 02:39 AM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
irsa76 Offline

Loc: Queanbeyan Australia
Here is how I've done it on the last 6 cars I've had/have.
Driving lights.
Power to relay from battery or alternator. Switch feed to relay off highbeam, in my wagon it's tapped off the wire, in the wife's car it's a proper H4 adaptor plug. That way you can leave the switch on but the lights will only work on high beam, except in my case they come on when the lights are off!
Fog lights.
As above but switch feed from either parking lights, best way, or low beam, may be required in some states.
Rear lights.
Again, run power to relay from battery/alternator. Best run a seperate switch feed from you reverse lights, keep the Police/DMV happy. With a bit of fany wireing you could also wire them up with a second switch in the rear to give you rear work lights independent of the reverse lights.
Golden rules
1. ALWAYS run a relay.
2. Use proper cable, especially if high current draw and long runs.
3. Insulate all connections.
4. Use properly rated fuses at the power supply.

#307602 - 22/02/04 02:48 AM Re: (3) sets of lights - How To Do The Harness?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil R:
Wow that stinks!

Anyone else have a similar experience in the States?
If you have vehicle inspections, I'd be willing to bet they will check the function of the backup lights. AFAIK, it's illegal in all States to have rearward facing clear lamps that are not for backing up only.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal