2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#308815 - 26/06/05 05:32 PM '05 4x4 / VDC button bay
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone installed a head unit where the 4X4 / VDC controls are in an '05 (under HVAC controls)?

I have the 2X4 off-road so only have one control - the VDC button. There is also a blank on the button panel to the left of the steering wheel that could easily be the new home of the VDC button. Makes me wonder if this bay would not be the perfect spot to install a head unit and then use the double-din factory location for a monitor.

I may give it a try but am not sure what kind of space is available behind that bay - I just wasn't paying attention when I did my install. I did note that the VDC button looked like it would be pretty easy to move though.

#308816 - 31/10/06 09:03 PM Re: '05 4x4 / VDC button bay
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys, I'm new here and had this exact same question. (No you're not hallucinating, I actually used the search function!) Rather then start a new thread I figured I'd just revive this old one.

So, has anyone moved the VDC OFF switch? I have a 2WD SE and the spot where the 4x4 controls go looks like the perfect place to mount a scanner. Like the original poster I'd like to move the VDC OFF switch to the left of the steering wheel.

Has anyone moved the switch?
Is there enough room behind it to even install a scanner or other radio equipment?

Thanks!

#308817 - 02/11/06 08:19 PM Re: '05 4x4 / VDC button bay
Anonymous
Unregistered

Physically the switch will fit - you'll just have to splice the wires using solder and heat shrink tubing. Check the mounting depth behind there to ensure that the head end will fit.

#308818 - 07/11/06 06:22 AM Re: '05 4x4 / VDC button bay
Anonymous
Unregistered

no room for you - it's only 3 to 4 inches deep - I think it's a air duct for the floor heater - it "is" enough space to mount a Radio control head or siren controller which I have seen in Police versions of the '05 xterra (the hidden strobe kit looks really cool on the "X") - - to get an idea on how deep it is, on xterra's that don't have VDC or any other switches, there is a storage hole next to the 4x4 dial - it extends in to the maximum depth.

Switch Assembly Bracket and Center Console Pocket

I tried and failed to mount a little CB radio in the upper glove box - cut a hole in the back of it as a pass through - was about 2 inches off (only measured one, and yes, I know better)

Side Note; If you wanted to add switches, these marine switches fit great into the blanks to the left of the steering wheel and blanks under the HVAC controls -

Water Resistant Contura Switch-Black

#308819 - 11/12/06 12:18 PM Re: '05 4x4 / VDC button bay
Anonymous
Unregistered

UT48, thanks for the info. It is too bad because that'd be a great location for an install.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal