shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#308965 - 15/12/05 04:39 AM OEM foglight modification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone messed around with the oem foglight circuit to try and get the foglights to work independantly from the headlights? I did a search and found a handful of threads on how to modify this in earlier models but found nothing on the newer X's. I looked at the schematic briefly but haven't taken the clamshell apart to look at the switch. Has anyone succeeded in the modification yet?

#308966 - 15/12/05 09:35 AM Re: OEM foglight modification
Anonymous
Unregistered

It looks as if the lights are controled by the computer. If this is the case, unless you re-wire them independently I doubt you'll get it to work.

#308967 - 15/12/05 10:53 AM Re: OEM foglight modification
Anonymous
Unregistered

if it's on a seperate relay like the original X, all you'll have to do is feed the wire from a different source. (just like we do)

#308968 - 15/12/05 01:58 PM Re: OEM foglight modification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I thought about that. The only thing is that the cpu that runs the lighting system is under the relay box under the hood. From what I remember when seeing the schematic, if someone can confirm, the fog light switch and the parking light switch both send a signal to the BCM, and from there, it is sent by CAN to the CPU under that relay box (or in it, I guess). If there is a way to energize that relay and isolate it from the CPU, I would think the wire, or bus bar, or whatever runs between these things would be pretty tough to mess with. Unless someone has taken that IPDM (I think that's it) apart to check it out, I think that Musikman is right, and that the only way to realistically do it is to rewire the lights with a couple relays and a separate switch. I guess you could even rest the output to the lights from that relay box to 87A so that when the switch is off, you won't have to worry about turning them on and off when your on the pavement.

#308969 - 15/12/05 04:15 PM Re: OEM foglight modification
Anonymous
Unregistered

you gotta be kiddin' me.... a computer for FOG LIGHTS?

What in the F is NNA thinkin'?

#308970 - 15/12/05 05:05 PM Re: OEM foglight modification
Anonymous
Unregistered

smile It's not all that unusual for the lighting system to be run by an ECM, BCM, or any other type of module for that fact. Nissan has actually been using multiplexing modules for quite some time. Door lock modules in the driver's door come to mind in the Maximas. A lot of manufacturers use modules for lighting (delayed domelights, delayed headlights, automatic shutdown). I blew the parking light input on a BCM in like a a 97 Buick once (lucky it was my buddies grandmother's car). Took me 5 hours to find the blown transistor. That really sucked. Kind of the reason I don't know if I am willing to rip that IPDM box down to see what it looks like in there. But, there is usually a chink in the armor somewhere. This one is just tougher because it's the combination of both the head light and fog light switches being used by the BCM to signal the output from the IPDM through a multiplex channel. I think all in all, if the only interface point is after the relay, then it would probably just be easier to put in auxillary lighting

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal