2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#310205 - 27/11/05 08:18 PM Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I just got my '05 X two weeks ago. I hate to reinvent the wheel so I am posting a question. Any suggestion for siren and speaker locations on the 05 X? There seems to be enough room for a slim/compact speaker - but are there any special mounting brackets for behind the grill? Any suggestion for LED Grill lights? Behind or in front of the grill? I'm planning on hanging some rear LED's (Able2 SHO-ME are great lights). Maybe some double color grill lights (again Able2 SHO-ME). Any suggestions about mounting switch box/siren/radio inside? Anyone have any pics? Wig-wag headlights?

#310206 - 28/11/05 01:52 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are you talking about a car alarm siren? I dont know about the 05's but on my 04 I have room on the inner fender drivers side. I also am in Hopewell Jct. I drive a 04 Black XE with Shrock Works sliders. Ill be looking out for ya around town.

#310207 - 28/11/05 05:22 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

The post was regarding EMERGENCY lights and sirens. Police/fire/EMS. I'll keep an eye out in Hopewell!!!!

#310208 - 28/11/05 08:43 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Not sure but imagine a slim siren would fit somewhere.

I am particular to whelen lights. Have the whelen slimlighter led in my front window above the review mirror and two whelen tir3 leds in back window. Have whelen corner strobes in all four corners front and rear. And wig wag headlights. No pictures but can take some if you want.

Swithcbox. I hate what I did to mine and would have done it different was I thinking but I drilled my switches into the dash directly. Sure it looks good done but if I ever go to get rid of it I have holes in the dash. Not that I plan to get rid of it just sayin.

#310209 - 28/11/05 10:31 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whelens are OK but pricey. The Able2 SHO-ME LED's are super bright and cheap. www.swps.net has great prices. I know what you mean about drilling the holes. Thats why I posted the question to see what other people came up with. Did you have any problem with the wig-wags - I had issues w/my ford so I'm reluctant to try.

I like the 4 corner strobes but the LED's seem a little better - still keep the undercover look.

thanks for the info.

#310210 - 28/11/05 11:43 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Paul H Offline

No problems with my wig wags. The 01 wires were easy to spot and splice. Not sure about 05s. Imagine it is similar.

The hide a strobes I have go inside the turn and taillights. You cannot see them unless on as they are clear. They make led versions of these now and will probably upgrade to them when I save the money. I used to love strobes but am now an led man. Been slowly converting as I get the money.

The undercover not seen look was what I wanted as well. When I had the strobes in the front and rear windows it just screamed FD or some even mistook it for a pd vehicle since when I work it is parked there. Ever since switching to the LEDs you can hardly see them at all. Very discreet until lit.

#310211 - 28/11/05 11:47 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Paul H Offline

Here is what I have to give you a visual

Corner hide a way strobes

Front window

2 in rear window

And able show me wig wags. Cannot find a spec page for them but wig wags are wig wags.

#310212 - 28/11/05 12:33 PM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not trying to be a dick or anything but why do you need lights/sirens on your personal vehicle in NY? I don't know if the laws changed since I moved out of the state but last I remember the only thing you could have was a blue light if you were a volunteer fire fighter.

#310213 - 28/11/05 01:18 PM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Federal Officers, Judges, Fire Chiefs, Rescue Chiefs, Paramedics, Police Surgeons, EMT's, Coroner's, etc, etc, etc.

#310214 - 28/11/05 06:11 PM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Suspect2:
Not trying to be a dick or anything but why do you need lights/sirens on your personal vehicle in NY? I don't know if the laws changed since I moved out of the state but last I remember the only thing you could have was a blue light if you were a volunteer fire fighter.
I guess sometimes you just need to get somewhere in a hurry... laugh

..besides, a vehicle that looks like a christmas tree is perfect for the holiday season. [LOL]

#310215 - 29/11/05 11:06 PM Re: Lights and Sirens
mil1982 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I completely understand the reasoning for them. But I think that in the personal vehicle it’s a recipe for trouble. People don't move out of the way when I am in my ambulance. Why they would move out of the way for a personal vehicle with lights is beyond me, but then again I live in Los Angeles and nobody drives like they are supposed to here.

#310216 - 30/11/05 05:48 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Paul H Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mil1982:
I completely understand the reasoning for them. But I think that in the personal vehicle it’s a recipe for trouble. People don't move out of the way when I am in my ambulance. Why they would move out of the way for a personal vehicle with lights is beyond me, but then again I live in Los Angeles and nobody drives like they are supposed to here.
I agree with you there. Both in fire trucks and in the police car people are just retarded and have no clue what to do. But I am surprised with my light setup I get more to move with my pov than usually the others.

The squad car is by far the worse. People will just not move. It is ten times easier to not use the lights and just cut in and out of traffic than running them 9 out of 10 times.

#310217 - 30/11/05 06:00 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

[LOL] I totally agree... at work I have a hard enough time getting people to move with light/sirens on in a marked police car! A few weeks ago my vehicle was down for service so I was driving an unmarked car. Responding to a shots fired call officer needs assistance proved to be quite the challenge. My partner was shitting his pants! [Uh Oh !] I can't imagine lights/sirens in an X. Just sounds like a lot more of a hassle. Plus... I would worry about getting pulled over by the cops running code somewhere. People call that crap in all the time if they see a vehicle that doesn't appear to be an emergency vehicle. Like I said, NY I remember BLUE LIGHTS ONLY being legal on personal vehicles.

#310218 - 30/11/05 06:03 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh yeah, I am on the tactical team at work too and obvioulsy drive an X. I have never had any problem responding in the X for a call out. Just go a little quicker through traffic and try to be as safe as possible. IMO, it is not worth the $ and liability of putting emergency lights/sirens in my personal vehicle.

#310219 - 01/12/05 03:00 PM Re: Lights and Sirens
Paul H Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Suspect2:
Oh yeah, I am on the tactical team at work too and obvioulsy drive an X. I have never had any problem responding in the X for a call out. Just go a little quicker through traffic and try to be as safe as possible. IMO, it is not worth the $ and liability of putting emergency lights/sirens in my personal vehicle.
I agree. I live in a small town so everyone knows what the blue lights mean, Fire department. In Illinois only blue lights are legal as well no siren and the lights give you no advantage it is mearly a courtesy light. I have lights in mine as warning for when I stop on scene. I am an EMT-b so I can stop while enroute to the fd. I use them to try and keep people from hitting me. The X is to slow to try and go fast to the fd so I usually do not use them going unless traffic is real heavy.

Being a cop also I usually do not mess with the vollys as I am one and know what they are doing and would want them to hurry would it be me hurt or my family. But sometimes they can get a bit out of line and the local fire chief encourages police enforcement to those retards.

To each their own I guess.

#310220 - 05/12/05 09:19 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe that the law in NY says that you do not need to move out of the way of volunteer personal vehicles or yellow light trucks (DPW, etc) and that those vehicles must obey all traffic laws. You may move your vehicle over as a courtesy but you are not required to do so.

#310221 - 05/12/05 10:17 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the scope of this simple question has snowballed. We can all lookup laws to see who can do what. The question was for an equipment recommendation. Nothing more. Assumptions from personal vehicles to volunteers and lights are just that - assumptions. We can all look-up laws etc. Let's keep the discussion to the equipment.

P.S. Imagine replacing a few Ford Explorers and suburbans (emergency vehicles) with Xterra's!!!!!! If it pans out I will post pics!!!!!!!!

#310222 - 06/12/05 08:18 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Paul H Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug703:
I believe that the law in NY says that you do not need to move out of the way of volunteer personal vehicles or yellow light trucks (DPW, etc) and that those vehicles must obey all traffic laws. You may move your vehicle over as a courtesy but you are not required to do so.
Sounds similar to Illinois law

#310223 - 06/12/05 08:19 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Paul H Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by docznyc:
I think the scope of this simple question has snowballed. We can all lookup laws to see who can do what. The question was for an equipment recommendation. Nothing more. Assumptions from personal vehicles to volunteers and lights are just that - assumptions. We can all look-up laws etc. Let's keep the discussion to the equipment.

P.S. Imagine replacing a few Ford Explorers and suburbans (emergency vehicles) with Xterra's!!!!!! If it pans out I will post pics!!!!!!!!
Agreed!!!

And please do. I hope I kept on topic smile

#310224 - 24/02/06 10:22 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hate to bring up a dead argument... smile

I too just got my 05 X and i am installing lights and have /question need help.
Currently I mounted a 100w speaker in front to the radiator low behind the bumper, couldn't fit the cone on but it is working nicely.
While I was at it I put 2 halogen red lights in the grill (outside mount) and I have a strobe dash light (very weak and I am going to replace it)
I also have an LED "copstick" that I am going to install up above the rearview mirror.
2 led "trio lights" for the backs of the outside mirrors
4 corner strobes (90w 6 supply)that I have to install in my foglights and backup lights (unless that is going to trip the transmission, I read the somewhere)
And maybe some strobes in the offroad lights I am going to put up on the rack.

My question is will the extra 2 strobe supplies I have power LEDs or do I have to get LED specific power/flasher?

Does anyone know if the headlights are gound switching for a set of wig wags ( I don't think they are) Can I use the ground switching wig wags I have to flash the front halogen dash lights?

And as far as all the "haters" complaining about laws and such...
I live in Vermont and VERMONT LAW says you MUST pull to the right and stop for a vehilce displaying emergency lights and siren. I have even taken peoples plates down that did not pull over for me and they have recieved tickets from the police.
I do understand that displaying lights and a siren does not give me the right to blast through traffic (like man officers I see).
I must be very safe because if I get into an accident while displaying my lights I AM AT FAULT, no matter what.
Even though I do not need to obey traffic laws I must operate my vehicle with DUE CAUTION and keep the saftey of others in the forefront of my mind, I am responding to help those in need, not to cause more accidents.
I have seen Ambulances responding to calls T-bone vehicles at interections, police cruisers wrecked responding to calls, and even the occasional fire truck off the road. I RARELY see personal vehicles that are responding in accidents.
Just my 2 cents.

I hope someone can help with my light questions. smile

#310225 - 24/02/06 10:27 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh and by the way, we have no concealed carry law either.
Which means anyone in Vermont over the age of 18 can carry a concealed firearm.

How ya like them apples? eek :p

#310226 - 24/02/06 10:47 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DucatiboyX:
Oh and by the way, we have no concealed carry law either.
Which means anyone in Vermont over the age of 18 can carry a concealed firearm.

How ya like them apples? eek :p
I thought Howard Dean would have put an end to that.

#310227 - 24/02/06 03:50 PM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you need more lights - LOL LOL LOL You CANNOT use the strobe flasher for the LED's. A great site for LED's is www.SWPS.com or www.rim911.com I LOVE the DUO-DASH LEDS as grill lights. No flasher needed and bright as hell. If you use the undercover corner stobes there is NO WAY it will affect your reverse lights. You're adding a separate bulb.

I'm not sure about the wig-wag question and the ground sided switch. Maybe the nissan tech will chime in.

I put two lights, red/blue each side, mounted inside the rear hatch, which have a built in flaser (able 2 sho-me brand) bright as hell. I like the fact that they have a built in flaser?

Where did you mount your siren? Radio? Switch box?

#310228 - 25/02/06 07:16 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont know if you have heard of http://www.galls.com/ but a lot of the emergency responders on Luke AFB shop there for all their equipment including lightbars adn sirens

#310229 - 25/02/06 07:35 AM Re: Lights and Sirens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Galls costs too friggin much.

In my old car I had hide-a-way strobes and a Dashmiser, did me well. Being in a Crown Vic helped too I guess.

The Xterra is devoid of all flashing lights now, took the strobes out of the headlights.... (well, left the bulbs, took out the power supply and wiring.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal