2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#310916 - 26/07/03 09:25 PM 2003 fog-light mod...any news yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 2003 and would like to have the option of running my fog lights whenever the parking lights are on (I know about the legalities and what not...just sounds like a fun project smile ). I think I've read every post (and done all possible searches). Has anyone tried this mod on the 2003 yet? How is the wiring different from the 01 or 02 (for which these mods have been tested)? I'm still saving the $$ for the service manuals... Thanks!

#310917 - 27/07/03 05:03 AM Re: 2003 fog-light mod...any news yet?
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
I have the 2003 manual now so I can take a shot at this, assuming that the manual is accurate.

Remove the steering column cover. It is held together by screws from the bottom.

On the headlight switch side of the column is a mess of wires. Within the mess you'll see 3 connectors that we care about at the moment. One has 7 wires, one of them being red with a black stripe. There is a 4 wire connector with a blue/red striped wire, and there is a 2-wire connector with a red/black striped wire. The red/ black wire should be running between the 7 and 2 wire connectors.

Disconnect the red/black wire from the 7-wire connector, close to the connector. It should now be connected only at the 2-wire connector end. Connect the free end of the red/black wire to the blue/red wire in the 4-wire connector using one of the many available tap connectors (Radio Shack #64-3052 for example). Tape up the remaining stub of the red/black wire.

You should now have what you're looking for. If so, you can reassemble the column.

Who will be the first brave soul to try this?

#310918 - 27/07/03 07:21 PM Re: 2003 fog-light mod...any news yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK... couldn't help myself. I opened up the column and looked at the wiring. It is slightly different than the service manual would suggest (2003).

I have 2-wire, 4-wire, and 7-wire connectors on the headlight switch side of the column. The 2-wire connector has a red/green-stripe wire and a red/black-stripe wire (which seems to be the voltage source). The 7-wire connector does not have a red/black wire (different from the service manual), but does have a red/green-stripe wire. The 4-wire connector has the requisite blue/red wire, and also has a red/black wire.

So... it appears the red/black wire may run from the 4-wire connector to the 2-wire connector (it dissappears into a bound cable of wires, so I can't tell for sure). It is also possible that the red/green wire runs directly from the 7-connector to the 2-connector.

Were there any alternative wiring schemes listed in the manual? Thoughts?

Thanks!

#310919 - 27/07/03 08:13 PM Re: 2003 fog-light mod...any news yet?
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Retro can you please take some pics and do maybe like a step by step sorta write up??? this way it'll make it easier for the rest of us... wink

And maybe Ian can add it to the how too's...

#310920 - 28/07/03 06:22 PM Re: 2003 fog-light mod...any news yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went ahead and performed the fog-light mod on my 2003 X today. The fog-lights can be used if desired (fog-light switch still works) whenever the parking lights are on. Unfortunately, I don’t have a digital camera just yet, so I’ll just give instructions (it is really simple).

The one caveat is that somewhere in the middle of 2002 the wiring for the lights switched a little. My 2003 seems to have the same wiring reported for some 2002 models. It is possible that other 2003 Xs will be different from mine as well (the 2003 service manual indicates different wiring than I have: see ElectroKen’s instructions for the 2003 based on the service manual wiring diagrams, above in thread).

Instructions for my 2003 X:

[1] Remove the steering column cover:

To do this, you’ll need to remove 3 of the 5 screws on the bottom of the steering column. These are the two at the front corners (at the edge, near the wheel) and the one at the back (near the dash on the door side) corner. You should then be able to simply remove the top plastic portion of the steering wheel cover (just a few snaps that require a slight tug).

[2] Confirm your wiring is similar:

My wiring looks like this (on the light-switch side of the steering column you’ll see 3 quick-connectors):

2 Wire connector:
1 – red/green-stripe
1 – red/black-stripe

4 Wire connector:
1-purple
1-yellow/black-stripe
1-red/black-stripe
1-blue/red

7 Wire connector:
1-green/yellow-stripe
1-green
1-yellow/green-stripe
1-red/white-stripe
1-red/green-stripe
1-green/red-stripe
1-red

[3] Connect new power source to fog-lights:

The red/black-stripe wire attached to the 2-wire connector disappears into the wiring harness along with all of the other wires. I cut this wire (red/black-stripe) close to where it disappears into the bundle of wires in the harness (this leaves some room to play with on the end that is still attached to the 2-wire connector). I then connected the longer portion of the red/black-striped wire (portion attached to the 2-wire connector) to the blue/red-striped wire leaving the 4-wire connector (using a tap connection; you don’t need to cut the blue/red-striped wire).

[4] Cover up the unused end of red/black-striped wire (the end coming out of the bundle of wires) with some electrical tape.

[5] Check light function and reinstall steering column cover.

This worked for me, and I believe another person [forgive me whoever you are] also used this technique for a 2003 Frontier. The fog-lights will not work unless the parking-lights are on. If the parking-lights are on (including low-beam and high-beam modes), the fog-lights can be turned on or off using the fog-light switch. Note (as OffroadX has pointed out) that it is illegal to drive with high-beam and fog-lights on. That said; take extra care to avoid blinding oncoming traffic when the temptation is too much for you wink .

I hope this helps someone. Thanks again to ElectroKen for all the help regarding the fog-light mod in all it’s various forms!

#310921 - 19/03/04 08:34 PM Re: 2003 fog-light mod...any news yet?
Alpine Hoy Offline

Loc: Steelers Country
Did mine today. I like it a lot. Just remember to turn them off when putting on the highbeams. My setup is like Retro's. I have a 2002.

#310922 - 20/03/04 08:42 AM Re: 2003 fog-light mod...any news yet?
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I'm gonna have to do this maybe this weekend or next and I'll take some pics of the steps and then maybe Ian can put them up on the site along with Retro's instructions for other people to enjoy...

#310923 - 02/10/04 06:18 AM Re: 2003 fog-light mod...any news yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just did this on my 04, was perfect to the T, took me about 15 min. Thanks!

#310924 - 26/10/05 06:45 AM Re: 2003 fog-light mod...any news yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is an old but very helpful thread, but leaves me with a question. (Found it after a thorough search...)

I'm probably being anal here, but is it safe to assume then (no one really states this) that on an '02.5/'03/'04, the blue/red-striped wire leaving the 4-wire connector (as retro mentioned) is the switched power for the parking lights (it will be hot when you have the parking lights on and cold when they're off) and the red/black-striped wire from the 2 wire connector is the switched wire for the fogs (that is, this wire triggers the relay for the fogs)? From his description that appears to be the case. I want to use the parking lights as the trigger for the relay for some driving lights I'm adding and I'd really don't want to have to run a wire from one of the parking lights to do this. I just want to make sure I tap into the right wire here.

And no, I haven't done the fog light mod yet. I'm debating on whether it's useful. Here in Michigan, it's illegal to run with parking lights and fogs. The law states you can only have your fogs on in conjunction with your low beams, although I see lot's folks using them with just their parking lights.

Thanks all!

-G-

#310925 - 27/10/05 12:34 PM Re: 2003 fog-light mod...any news yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bump...

Does anyone agree with my assumptions? It makes logical sense, but I've never seen it confirmed anywhere and that's all I'm looking for.

TIA!

-G-

#310926 - 21/11/05 06:35 AM Re: 2003 fog-light mod...any news yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I was being anal (big surprise). But, decided to go ahead and do the mod anyway yesterday while the wife was gone shopping (she'd kill me if she knew I did it!). Works great. Really glad I loosened up a bit and decided to do it. Thanks Retro. [ThumbsUp]

For anybody else considering doing this, as Retro said, it's really simple. I will warn you though that the wiring is pretty short. There's not a lot of wiring to play with when doing it. So, make sure you have the right wires and cut where you need. You'll only get one chance. As my father-in-law used to tell me, measure twice, cut once!. Oh, and BTW-all you need is a red (18-22g) tap, a phillips screwdriver (#2 to remove the steering column cover), a pair of diagonal (wire) cutters (a small pair works better), and a bit of electical tape for the end of the wire you cut and leave. Otherwise, follow Retro's instuctions and it will work flawlessly! cool

And remember to turn off the fogs whenever you go to high beams!

-G-

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal