shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#312389 - 14/07/03 10:01 AM Xterra and Ipod
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 2001 Xterra with the "double DIN" factory stereo/cd. I want to connect my Ipod to the stereo - no FM modulators please!

Does anybody knwo who makes an aux input adapter for this stereo? Would it be easier to connect the ipod to the amplifier using an A/B switch?

You help is appreciated.

#312390 - 14/07/03 10:37 AM Re: Xterra and Ipod
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
I'm not sure if you can connect the Ipod directly to the stock AMP. Simply because it takes in a high level input (so I hear, I never tried it myself). If you used an after market amp you could rig something like that up.

It's not going to be easy, your best bet is to get an after market head, bypass the amp, and use the AUX in from the head (not all have such a feature, I know Pioneers do).

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#312391 - 14/07/03 02:36 PM Re: Xterra and Ipod
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
I have an FM Modulator, and while it's OK I would definetly prefer a line input (who wouldn't)

Hmm, I just had a thought - I remember some EQ units used to have line inputs - letting you bypass the head unit and go straight to the external amps.... Hmm, will have to think about this...

#312392 - 14/07/03 02:42 PM Re: Xterra and Ipod
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
OK, it's kinda ugly and expensive for what it would do for me, but THIS is what I am talking about - two line inputs that are selectable.

Don't have to mess with the factory stereo...

#312393 - 17/07/03 06:23 AM Re: Xterra and Ipod
RHearnCT Offline

Loc: Broad Brook, CT
In this situation I think that you have two options. One is like people said you can try replacing your head unit and going that route. Even though you said no FM modulators I think you're only other option is to install a hardwired one. This works in a similar fashion to an RF cd changer. You plug it in inline with your antenna and then power it up and plug the iPod in. I've tried using a wireless modulator, wired modulator and now I have a pioneer receiver with an IP Bus adapter with RCA inputs. I can definitely say that the solution I have now is the best.

#312394 - 22/07/03 10:57 PM Re: Xterra and Ipod
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
Quote:
Originally posted by phatguppy:

Does anybody knwo who makes an aux input adapter for this stereo? Would it be easier to connect the ipod to the amplifier using an A/B switch?

You help is appreciated.
I tried the same thing when I got a MD player. I have the same head unit you do, there are no connections on the back. I used a tape adapter.

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#312395 - 17/08/03 04:58 PM Re: Xterra and Ipod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
OK, it's kinda ugly and expensive for what it would do for me, but THIS is what I am talking about - two line inputs that are selectable.

Don't have to mess with the factory stereo...
Are you sure this will work? Will this easily hook up to the standard OEM head unit? I am sure there are cheaper versions available, I am going to look for one.

#312396 - 17/08/03 07:24 PM Re: Xterra and Ipod
Team Foster Offline

Loc: CT
I had the same issue you had.
I ended up replacing the factory head unit.
You wont regret getting a better head unit.
as a side note lots of the new decks support mp3 cds. Gives you all the songs on your IPOD or other mp3 device PLUS a CD full of mp3s to work with (if you have a cd burner)

-Adam

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal