shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#313343 - 24/10/04 06:56 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm thinking about getting a mean green, but does anybody know how many amps it pumps out at idle? Cause that's important to me, I don't want to have to rev the engine just to supply power.

#313344 - 24/10/04 09:09 PM Re: alternator/battery question
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#313345 - 24/10/04 09:46 PM Re: alternator/battery question
GrillmasterP Offline

Loc: Houston
Quote:
Originally posted by XMountaineer:
[QB]will probably cut a pipe to replace them eventually.
QB]
Why don't you just buy shorter tie-down J-hooks-
should only be a few bucks-

#313346 - 24/10/04 10:59 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brent, as usual you are Brilliant. Helping people Help themselves isn't the best way to bild a knowledge base. Unless your plan is to have mean green answer the same question over & over, how about posting an answer. The next person that asks or searches the same question will eld up here, also with no answer.

#313347 - 25/10/04 06:18 AM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GrillmasterP:
Quote:
Originally posted by XMountaineer:
[QB]will probably cut a pipe to replace them eventually.
QB]
Why don't you just buy shorter tie-down J-hooks-
should only be a few bucks-
well, that could be a solution....this was convienent at the time.

#313348 - 25/10/04 06:44 AM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks brent for the link, I didn't realize that they had a help link where I can post my question.

#313349 - 25/10/04 08:27 AM Re: alternator/battery question
OffroadX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtopher:
... The next person that asks or searches the same question will eld up here, also with no answer.
Nyah, she was pleased with the answer, and I think if she gets one, she could post it here, don't you?

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#313350 - 25/10/04 09:25 AM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

we'll see.. There are several other threads that have gone similarily, and have no answer..

#313351 - 26/10/04 10:50 AM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

well I bought and installed a yellow top battery, and ofcourse my sound system still doesn't get enough power. Now it has a different problem! In the middle of a song, no matter what song, the power suddenly cuts off. As if the power cuts off to 10%, and then trys to regain power again. It's really weird, I dunno if it's the battery or the RCA connection. Arg, this sound system is frustrating as hell, in the end it'll cost more to maintain it than the sound system itself!

#313352 - 26/10/04 01:49 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

time it.. then change the volume levels, and time it again.. it could be a thermal (overheating) thing. Could also be a bass thump droping the voltage enough to cause it to reset.

#313353 - 27/10/04 09:42 AM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

just ordered the mean green alternator. I've done some searching all over the forum, and it seems that the alternator on the X is in a icky spot. Has anybody ever considered putting some metal protection over the alternator? I think it'd be a smart idea for somebody to fabricate some direct metal bolt on, that would be able to protect the alternator from mud, and the such. I know that it wouldn't stop water, but hell it's better than nothing!

On to the alternator, hopefully I'll be getting the bugger Friday, and be able to install it Friday. I asked the MG industries how many amps the thing puts out at idle and they say "100 amps at idle, 180 amps at 2250 RPM". I also asked him how many amps he thinks the stock alternator puts out at idle, he said "probably something like 30". So a 300% increase of power at idle makes me a happy man smile

#313354 - 27/10/04 11:30 AM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

HA!
xterraparts.com doesn't have the mean green alternator! That's hilarious! I spend probably 5 e-mails talking to the guy, and I finally order the part, and guess what! I get an e-mail 2 hours later saying that he doesn't have the part! Wow! Look at me! I make no sense!

#313355 - 27/10/04 12:01 PM Re: alternator/battery question
OffroadX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Just_Blue:
Has anybody ever considered putting some metal protection over the alternator?
Of course it's been considered, but nobody has really bothered. There really isn't a good way to do it that wouldn't restrict the airflow that helps keep it cool. The factory splash guard w/ the rubber flaps on the side does a pretty good job of keeping just that, splashing, from really getting to it. If you take it and go blasting through a puddle or the like, much less a nice deep mudpit, that's not what it was designed for, and you take your chances doing so. Pay to play...

#313356 - 27/10/04 12:42 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well this sucks... Did Nissan ever consider putting the alternator elsewhere? And couldn't we just bolt on the alternator on a different location? All that I think that we'd have to do is simply change the belt length, and find a different place to bolt the alternator on. Ofcourse this'd probably be a complicatede upgrade for those hardcore offroaders, but none the less it's an idea.

#313357 - 27/10/04 05:32 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
Quote:
I know that it wouldn't stop water, but hell it's better than nothing!

Water itself it not what gets ya. Its dirty water and mud that gets in there and when it dries leaves dirt on the interior components. You can drive though clean water all day (preferable moving water not standing) and not hurt it.

Quote:
Well this sucks... Did Nissan ever consider putting the alternator elsewhere?
We have mentioned it numerous at the plant tour when they asked for our input. I checked the location on the 05 X and its still on the bottom!

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#313358 - 27/10/04 05:47 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

hm... so even with a new engine, they still manage to put the alternator at the same spot! Wow Nissan looks like it's on top of things!

#313359 - 27/10/04 05:55 PM Re: alternator/battery question
OffroadX Offline

The VG33-engined Pathfinder (96-00) has the power steering pump and alternator swapped vs. the Xterra/Frontier. I looked into converting, but it's not as easy as you might think, and the biggest obstacle is the power steering lines.

#313360 - 27/10/04 07:02 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll look at that... But somebody should suggest to Calmini or some company to make some sort of a alternator/power steering pump swap. If so many people have these problems, then why don't we try to find a solution? Or has this allready been attempted?

#313361 - 28/10/04 09:29 AM Re: alternator/battery question
OffroadX Offline

I don't know of anyone that has actually done something more than rudimentary to try and keep the alternator from getting wet/muddy etc.
Seriously, unless you want to do some extensive work to relocate it, there's not much you can do. I'd love to install a sealed, water-cooled alternator in there, but they're quite expensive, and there are none that I've found that would fit the Xterra anyway. They're used on some luxury cars, not because they handle mud better, but because they don't have a cooling fan and are almost silent. BMW and the Caddy Northstar engines have 'em, but they're almost integrated in the block and couldn't be adapted in any way. I know Hitachi makes one similar to ours in shape, but it's much larger, made for dozers and the like.

Brent

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal