2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#316967 - 30/10/03 11:40 AM Attn Iowa guys... run on Thanksgiving weekend.
SplashMan Offline

Loc: IL
Location is 600 Acres (Hoosier Creek). It is just outside Solon, IA which is about 20 min SE of cedar Rapids.
This place is great for stockers and the slightly modified. Big boys have fun too.

The date for the run is 29 Nov 2003. We will be meeting up around 8 A.M. and running till we die. This may turn into a 2 day run, but for now it is just Saturday.

#316968 - 11/11/03 05:47 PM Re: Attn Iowa guys... run on Thanksgiving weekend.
taxxman2k Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
Dang it! if I wasn't going out of town I would have been there. Nice long weekend to make the trip worth while! Weather shouldn't be too bad to keep me from camping, or atleast a cheap motel!

#316969 - 17/11/03 06:18 PM Re: Attn Iowa guys... run on Thanksgiving weekend.
JFD Offline

Loc: Western Springs, IL
Where can I get some information about the location and the trails? I've been to a great place in Hamilton, IA but have not heard of the Solon spot. Is there a web site with info?

#316970 - 17/11/03 10:25 PM Re: Attn Iowa guys... run on Thanksgiving weekend.
BMX Offline

Loc: Ames, IA
SplashMan, could you please post more info; you know like where exactly everyone is going to meet and who is organizing this run, how many people so far and stuff… Us from HXOC are going on Saturday before thanksgivings to Randolph KS (Tuttle Creek ORV Area ) and will camp there until Sunday. I might be able to go to solon. I’ll put the word out and see if anybody else from HXOC wants to go. [Wave]

#316971 - 18/11/03 06:40 AM Re: Attn Iowa guys... run on Thanksgiving weekend.
SplashMan Offline

OK, 600 Acres is an area of land that is owned by the Iowa Corps of Engineers. It is the area that floods every year when they flood Lake McBride. The terrain is sand, silt and dirt. Hardly any rocks. It has been around since the lake was formed and was originally used by ATV and bikes till some trucks found it. This place is completely free to run on. The only rules are you must be out by dusk and you clean up after yourself.
On a rating scale of 1 - 5, I would rate the trails a 1 or 2, but if it is wet, that goes up to 2 - 3. There are some climbs down by the lake that can be anywhere from 2 - 5.
I am hosting the run, in association with the clubs I frequent... Rough Rangers OffRoad Club, Explorer4x4.com, Ford Truck World and OffRoad World. Right not there are 4 confirmed from the RRORC, 2 from the Explorer4x4, 2 from OffRoad World and 1 from Ford Truck World. This is a multi make/model run, no one is turned away... so far we have Ford, Chevy, Dodge and maybe one Subaru coming. The last time we did an open run like this we had Ford, Chevy and Dodge guys all running together and having a great time.
There are two meeting places setup right now, the first is the gas station right off the Shueyville exit(the exit you take off of 380) and or the parking lot at 600 Acres. The time we have setup is 8am, but I will hang out at the gas station till about 9am if people are late and will be in my Explorer with the trailer attached. We usually run till about 11 or 12 and take a 1 or 2 hour lunch in Solon then hit the trails again till dusk.
The best place for hotels would be in Cedar Rapids. There are a bunch of hotels and motels around the Hawkey Downs raceway which is only 15 min from the park. I don't think anyone will want to camp, but there is a camping area on Lake McBride.
If you are local or within 2 - 3 hours it is a nice place to play, but I wouldn't drive 5 - 6 hours.
Here is a link to my webshots where you can see pictures from out various runs out there...
Web Shots
I have run both my Explorer and my Bronco II here and have seen everything from a stock Geo Metro to a Military Humvee playing out there. [Spit]
My family has a farm 30 min from the park and I have access to both tools and to transportation in case of any emergency.

#316972 - 24/11/03 08:24 AM Re: Attn Iowa guys... run on Thanksgiving weekend.
SplashMan Offline

This is still happening, so if anyone is interested, just meet me at the gas station off the Shueyville exit between 8 and 9 and I'll lead you to the park.

#316973 - 26/11/03 11:24 AM Re: Attn Iowa guys... run on Thanksgiving weekend.
BMX Offline

Loc: Ames, IA
It looks that my weekend is booked. Maybe next time. Thanks for posting the run here.

Peace [Wave]

Moderator:  Mapman 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal