2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#316974 - 17/09/03 09:15 PM Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
maximusdelirious Offline

Loc: Lake Mills, WI
Hurray! Hurray! The hayward trip is officially changed to October 25th which means more people will be able to attend! come one come all! this will be a great weekend.

Also for those that missed the trails late Saturday afternoon we will start with thoose as they were the best!

I will be up there late Thurs. or early Friday. [Wave]

#316975 - 18/09/03 08:34 AM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
I just got off the phone with KOA in Hayward. They close the first weekend in October. I called the ranger there and the National campgrounds close Oct. 26. This means They will not supply the toilet paper!LOL That is what they told me!

Here is the link to the campground near Cable http://gorp.away.com/dow/eastern/chqcmp.htm#namekagon

Dan

#316976 - 18/09/03 12:23 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
tcdesign Offline

Loc: Hudson, WI
Hey guys, been a while since I've posted. Things have been crazy, but they're almost back to normal. Looks like I might not be able to make this Hayward trip. I'll be in Ireland from Oct. 18-25.

On a side note, if anyone feels like wheeling in Minnesota this weekend, I'll be free. Could take a quick trip down to Northfield wink .

I'll try to keep up with the posts here. I should be able to make the trip next spring.

-Tim

#316977 - 18/09/03 08:55 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
Excelagator Offline

Hey TC [Wave] Glad to know to know you're among the living!LOL J/K. How are the 32s doing by the way. How about meeting up next spring?
Dan

#316978 - 18/09/03 08:58 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
bn300 Offline

Loc: Buffalo, MN
TC,
Please PM me with any info on the Northfield site. PNUT and I are going there 10/18 if you are interested.
Thank!

#316979 - 20/09/03 11:38 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
jwessx Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN, USA
Isn't that a farm there in Northfield? Just wondering.

Whats the terrain there like?

Maybe interested in going. I could be gone that weeked also. Will know more in a few weeks.

Would be nice to meet you guys.

joe

#316980 - 22/09/03 07:00 AM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
tcdesign Offline

Loc: Hudson, WI
Here's a link to pictures from the last time I was there. It had rained a lot, so it was extremely muddy. It would be a lot more fun dry.

http://home.sprintmail.com/~tcdesign/roys_june6/roys.htm

I ended up not going this weekend - I did a lot of landscaping instead. But anytime anyone wants to go - next weekend for example - I would be up for it. The terrain is extremely varied. A lot of hillclimbs, water crossings, and some pretty hard stuff we didn't even try. There are a lot of small areas where you can just play around to get the feel for what your truck can do (the mogul area for instance). You really don't need any modifications to have fun there, however, I would recommend removing your steprails, and if you feel like it, removing your rear swaybar (I've had mine off for 2 years and don't notice it at all). If its as muddy as it was in these pictures, more aggressive tires would definitely help too.

-Tim

#316981 - 23/09/03 12:56 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
KJed Offline

Loc: twin cities
Thanks for posting those Tim. It was a little to wet to explore a lot of the trails. If it had been dry, we would have been able to do many more trails.
BTW, in pic 0641(2nd page) is a nice little manual winch for you guys not wanting to shell out $900 for an electric. Mine is rated for 8000lbs, easy to operate,reliable, and pulled an "unknown" exterra from a tricky spot. wink The layout of the terrain made it difficult to get the electric winch from the TJ. This portable unit saved our bacon. It's not at all like those crapy things you buy at Wal Mart. It's got to weigh about 30lbs. Do a search for Wyeth-Scott winch and you'll find it. I paid about a $100 for mine. (this is the winch you need maximus) smile
Tom

#316982 - 01/10/03 05:39 AM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
maximusdelirious Offline

Alright, it's time to start planning this shindig. The temp last nught was in the 30's and tonight we get a hard free so it is gonna be cold. Has anyone contacted the state forest yet? I will call them today and get a fell for what's going on up there that weekend.

Who all is going?

Me and my wife are.

Has anyone ever stayed at two lakes or lake owen campgrounds?

#316983 - 01/10/03 05:59 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
KJed Offline

[Wave]
Tom

#316984 - 01/10/03 07:56 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
Excelagator Offline

I more than likely won't be showing up for Hayward in Oct. I just have too many irons in the fire for this month. I am sure the temps are going be in the twenties also at night. I will make up for it though. Next May, I am going to Hayward for a week. Have fun guys, take lots of pictures.

Chris there is a post I did above with the info. Oct. 26 they close all parks. They told me you can camp, but no toilet paper. laugh

#316985 - 01/10/03 08:21 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
maximusdelirious Offline

Have you stayed at any of those campgrounds? Brewer may have.

Lee, Danni, and their exchange student Jefferson will be there.

#316986 - 02/10/03 11:50 AM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, I'm interested in the Northfield site. Can someone give me the low down and directions?

#316987 - 02/10/03 12:25 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I can't wait to get back to WI so I can start going on these trips with you guys. There isn't shit to do in VA (except for Outerbanks, which gets old fast!). I will be back Dec 16th and will be somewhere between Lake Geneva and Southern Milwaukee. Have you guys ever talked to Badgerland 4X4 club? They are based in Racine and I have been talking to then trying to get some info. They apparently do a lot of trail rides through out the year. I will pay attention to this forum and will be in contact with you guys. Have fun up in Hayward...and go PACK!

#316988 - 03/10/03 11:14 AM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
maximusdelirious Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt:
Hey, I'm interested in the Northfield site. Can someone give me the low down and directions?
contact western brewer he has the info. KJed/Tom above may also have the details.

#316989 - 05/10/03 08:05 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
Excelagator Offline

Chris,
I have not stayed there. From what I know Twin Lakes is what its name is. Owen Lake and Twin Lakes are no power(year round), water is hand pump, pit toilets.
Dan

#316990 - 06/10/03 06:23 AM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
maximusdelirious Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by excelagator:
Chris,
I have not stayed there. From what I know Twin Lakes is what its name is. Owen Lake and Twin Lakes are no power(year round), water is hand pump, pit toilets.
Dan
We have four groups going so far. directions are as follows. I could not find any campground with power that was open. They do have a dumping station at two lakes. That is where we are shooting for. Mental note there are Two Lakes AND Twin Lakes.

Take I-94 North from Madison or east from Twin cities.
From Twin cities take WI-63 north.
From Madison take WI-53 north.
WI-53 will merge into WI-63 near Spooner.
Everyone stay on WI-63 through Hayward.
Go through Hayward to Cable.
Go right/east on Hwy M in Cable.
Take Forest Route 214 north.
Continue straight onto Forest Rt. 214 to campground sign.
Turn left into campground. go to back of campground to site 34.
If you goto the FR214 and FR213 intersection (about 0.3 mile past campground sign) you have gone too far.

Things we are bringing;
three 3/8" tow chains, various tow straps.
coleman stove and lantern.
fire pit grills, fire starting means.
cookware.
Hi-Lift jack.
tool kit, fluid replacements, shovel, axe.
we are tenting it.
Some food, water, Beer!

all my come-a-longs are shot.

#316991 - 06/10/03 01:11 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
maximusdelirious Offline

OK here is the dope on the campgrounds all of the national forest campgrounds are closed for water, TP, some of the sites, services, etc. The national forest campgrounds after 10/15 are classified as closed BUT you can "pack-in/ pack-out". Still paying the fee. There are a couple private campgrounds in that area I will be calling them. No electric will be availible.

#316992 - 07/10/03 12:30 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
Western Brewer Offline

Loc: Rochester, MN
Quote:
The national forest campgrounds after 10/15 are classified as closed BUT you can "pack-in/ pack-out". Still paying the fee.
Whoa!?! They still make you pay the fee? That's strange, being as you can camp anywhere in the National Forest for FREE as long as you pack it out. In fact, depending on the rules in the forest, you can cut with a permit and drive off trails in some areas. Seems to me the NF Service would appreciate some visitors to stay in the campground and ensure it is cleaned up while they are closed as opposed to trashing another area.

In any case, it looks like I will probably be able to make it. I had been a little apprehensive since I have so much going on this month as well, but I think things will work out yet. I plan to bring the usual camping supplies. I'll probably also be in a tent (possibly in the back of the truck, depending on how cold and wet it gets). If things work out, I might be able to bring some beer on this trip too. Right now I have two dark beers on tap (one pretty heavy, the other is lighter - still dark). I have another conditioning right now, but I'm not sure if it will be ready in time... laugh

#316993 - 08/10/03 06:34 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
maximusdelirious Offline

[Wave] Hurray Hurray [Wave]

Yeah seemed funny to me to , but the campgrounds are privately run until the season ends then the forrest service takes over for off season, even though hunting is coming up, eek , I don't get it either. But they are FEDERAL employees and it's not in their job description to fill TP rolls and maintain hand pumps for the water. God forbid they have to go that extra mile. [Spit] J/K, bad day at work. Anyway, I am trying to locate another place to stay as my wife wants running water. Glad to hear you might make it Matt. The more the better. It has been nice weather there meaning no rain it will be pretty dry. They did not get the last round of snow, 6" in some areas. So they should be great for driving. Yes, this area of this forest you can drive off trails in some areas. Staging areas are full open, that's logging areas. and all trails in this forest are open to drive, UNLESS the have a birm or barrier. We can camp anywhere with a permit. May need a fire permit also. There was this very cool lake we found late Staurday after Dan turned back. Right before the stump area. We could stay there. anyway hope to see you soon. [Wave]

#316994 - 09/10/03 10:07 AM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
KJed Offline

I'll be coming up Fri morning. I'd like to get some wheelin/scouting done that day. I just need to make sure I can park my camper where ever we decide to stay.
Tom

#316995 - 09/10/03 10:52 AM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
Western Brewer Offline

Loc: Rochester, MN
I am all for the most remote location we can stay, but I understand if people need running water or enough space close to a road for a camper too. I'm not nearly as familiar with the are as you Chris, but I'll rack my brain and see if I can come up with any ideas on places to stay...

#316996 - 09/10/03 04:53 PM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
KJed Offline

My RV is fully self contained so I don't need any hookups.(don't worry,I won't run a generator laugh ) I just need a space for a 17 footer.
Tom

#316997 - 10/10/03 08:17 AM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
Excelagator Offline

I believe the area east of Seeley is State forest. no camping or burning permits needed. Just like Goodman area we camp in last July. Last May Steven, Eric, and I came across a gentleman camping there for opening weekend for fishing. Alot of fisherman and hunters put there pop-ups in this area. There are plenty of forest roads off of there to just put up a campsite.

If you go just north of Seeley about 3/4 of mile off to the right is Boedecker road. Take that 1/8 of mile, ends at Northern lights Road turn left. Follow that about a mile, it will wander around a little. Just pick one of the trails off there and set up camp. Tom should not have a problem getting back there. I do remember a sandy area on Northern lights road for 30 feet, but I believe he won't have a problem. The coordinates for this area are:

N 46 degrees, 8 minutes, 33 seconds
W 91 degrees, 19 minutes, 2 seconds

The benefit is that awesome trail cuts across Boedecker Road there, so you guys could get up and be on the trail in no time. Another area that comes to mind is the staging area for logging off of OO County Road. That was the trailhead we hit first thing last Saturday morning last May. Chris knows the area.

Hope This helps, Dan

#316998 - 12/10/03 08:23 AM Re: Hayward trip changed to Oct. 25th
maximusdelirious Offline

Yeah I know that area. New note*** we do not need running water. My wife has decided there is too much going on at home and will be stay behind this trip. My son has ACT test that saturady and she wants to be around for him. That said I'm a pretty grungey guy when I want to be, so running water won't be an issue which means we can camp where ever. I will look into the camper pop-up rules for the forest.

Special NOTE*** Bears - Northern Wisconsin has much remote back country through which the North Country Trail passes. Naturally the bear population is much higher than other parts of the country. Hikers and overnight campers should take special precautions with food. No food should be eaten or kept in tents. If possible, meals should be prepared well away from tent areas. Food should be placed in suspended packs where bears cannot reach them away from the tent area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mapman 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal