2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#317377 - 09/12/03 08:41 PM tools
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey peoples! - how ya all doing? being new here and to the xterra i gots questions popping up in me head all the time but hardly ever when i'm by the computer but here's one.

are there any tools that i should carry around with me in case of an emergency or if/when i'm out 4x4x44x4x4x4xing? huh, notice the rock i hit . i tried the search and thought i would ask fellow midwesterners first to kinda keep things on a more intimate level [Freak]

been reading the snow topics - i can live without it but kinda anxious to see how the xterra handles in it. sheeeeet we have rain forecasted for tomorrow in my part of mi. i betcha if i got my bike out of storage it would snow here.

#317378 - 10/12/03 08:21 AM Re: tools
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
This is a long list, but I work on other things with the tools also. I think this is it, but I probably forgot a few

Dan

Two canvas tool bags
metric socket set
metric wrenches and a set of snubbys
vise grips
1 large adj wrench and 1 small ones
metric hex wrenches and hex driver set
misc bike tools and parts
multimeter and test light
reciever tow hook and 9 ton shackles
2 tow straps
replacements fuses and extra wire
duct tape and electrical tape
12 volt air compressor and air gauge
rechargable spot light and 12 volt spot light
gloves
small folding shovel
misc aa and aaa batteries
fire exting.
tie down straps and bungee cords
Wisconsin topo map
9" tanto knive
3 blankets
weather band radio
CB
Radio Shack FSR and 3 handhelds

#317379 - 15/12/03 10:51 AM Re: tools
maximusdelirious Offline

Loc: Lake Mills, WI
my list is similar and growing. Blain's farm and fleet has everything you need. I have used almost everything in this list atleast once.

two small fire exstiguishers(bigger is always better)
12v air compersor, get the best you can. I tried a 5 gal tank but could not find a service station with a compressor that could fill it, even at the iron skillet.
42" Hi-Lift
four 3/8" 15' tow chains(came in plastic boxes).
4 ton come-a-longs(the more the merrier).

cool an old wooden ammo crate w/handles(have broken these up for traction as well);
various tow straps. (work great for tree savers)
bungies.
12v dc worklight.
d-rings, carabiners, pulleys, nylon string 200 lbs test, etc.

cool portable 150pcs tool kit, folding plastic kind, with ratchet set, etc.
something like this got it at walmart for 10.00

two clevis d-rings attached to front tow points(hard to do once you are stuck).
spade shovel.
medium hand-axe.
4 lb sledge hammer.

cool pullable tool box which has, got it at k-mart for 24.95;
5 quarts 4x4 oil.
1 gallon antifreeze.
power steering fluid.
brake fluid.
differential fluid.
funnels, etc.
extra headlights and bulbs fuzes, etc.
vise-grips, various drivers, duct tape, wd 40, etc.
oil filter, air filter, fuel valve, pvc valve, thermostat, etc.

5 gal gas can.
5 quart oil drain pan, sealable.
4 ft 1x12 green treated board.
tarps 3 of various sizes.

cool Old popcorn tin(seals against weather);
essentials, TP, suntan lotion, emergency blackets, matches, candles, can/bottle/wine-opener, fishing line, 30lbs test, more duct tape, deck of cards, hunting knife, bandana, extra pair of clean socks(great for drive home), etc.

2 2.5 gallon water jugs from grocery store, one for drinking one for truck.

cool 300watt power inverter, nimh rechargable batteries and charger(you'll never be without batteries) you can also power all your stuff from it.

I'm probably missing some things. I like the containers because they are grab and go, takes less than 10 mins. to fully load the truck. And I remember where everything is. What I do is go to clearance sales etc and just pick things up for cheap now then add them to the load. there is always a sale somewhere.

#317380 - 16/12/03 05:28 AM Re: tools
SplashMan Offline

Loc: IL
Water, 1 gallon per person, personal supplies for at least twice the time you plan on being out: If going on a morning trip, pack a lunch and trail snacks. If going on an afternoon or all day trip, assume you may spend the night in the vehicle and pack accordingly: medications, flashlight, batteries, matches/lighter, and blankets & gear appropriate to the environment, area, and season.

1. CB (Handheld or mounted)
2. Fire Extinguisher
3. First Aid Kit, ID cards, with emergency contact info and medication allergy information (passenger also).
4. Spare Key
5. Towstrap, at least 20', bare with no metal hooks/brackets attached
6. Full Size Spare, lug wrench
7. Bottle/scissor jack tall enough to lift your rig to change tire, 12" square wooden platform for use in soft ground
8. Complete tool kit including but not limited to:
Standard and metric socket set with extensions, crescent wrench, vise-Grips, screwdrivers (std & philips), wire cutters, pliers (std, needlenose and channel lock), duct tape, JB weld, electrical tape, spare connectors and fuses, utility knife, hammer, hacksaw, crowbar or prybar, jumper cables, super glue/quickdrying epoxy tank sealant, electrical wire of different gages

9. Fix-A-Flat and/or Tire Plug kit and air compressor (12 volt plug-in or other)
10. Trash bag, for your own as well as other's trash
11. Towpoints front and rear, frame mounted
(A "hidden hitch" style receiver with the hitch pin inserted can be utilized as a rear towpoint).
12. Work Gloves
13. Jumper cables
14. WD-40 or other spray lubricant

OPTIONAL, BUT SOMEONE IN YOUR GROUP SHOULD HAVE…

1. Cellphone
2. HiLift Jack and jack points on all sides of rig
3. Shop Towels
4. Hand winch (comealong), the HiLift Jack can also be used
5. Recovery gear: "D"ring/clevis, snatch block, blanket or towel to lay on the cable
6. Extra fluids for your rig: oil, transmission fluid, etc.
7. Bungee cords / rope
8. Shovel, std or military foldup
9. Axe, at least hand axe/hatchet
10. Assorted spare fasteners, nuts, bolts, pop rivets, etc
11. Spare Parts such as belts, hoses, radiator stop-leak, axles, hubs, spark plugs, air filter, etc. (especially anything you have broken before) and the tools to fix/install them.

IF YOU HAVE THE ROOM…

1. Work coveralls, cap, golashes/rubber overboots, and plastic tarp or blanket to lay on
2. Extra pair of Hiking boots or comfortable walking shoes
3. Toilet paper, Paper Towels, Waterless hand scrub and/or Wet Wipes
4. Sunscreen, Insect Repellent
5. Change of Clothes (2 sets if you get stuck a lot)
6. Camera (standard and or video), spare film and batteries
7. Cooler with latching top and handles to use to tiedown

WISH LIST…
1. Camping gear: tent, stove, water purification tablets, etc
2. Winch and full winch supply kit
3. Onboard air compressor such as ARB or QuickAir
4. GPS
5. Jerry can for fuel
6. 12 volt and battery powered portable tools: Impact wrench, drill, spotlight
7. Ham radio (license required to operate)
8. Onboard welder

#317381 - 16/12/03 08:00 AM Re: tools
Anonymous
Unregistered

Those lists are all XBOX Huge!!! Why do you need all of those items for everyday driving?!? I understand for 4x4, but for everyday driving? eek

WOW.

My list consists of -

-Flashlight
-Extra Batteries
-First Aid Kit(duh)
-Shackles
-2 tow straps
-Tow chain
-Jumper Cables(and they have already been used this winter)
-Bungees
-Power inverter
-2 5,000 lb Ratchet straps
-Trailer hitch
-Extra Blanket
-2 Gerber pocket tools
-Single blade lockblade
-and I keep my Nextel on me at all time.

I have not gone on expiditions.....YET.....but when I do, I'm sure the list will grow to be much like most of the lists posted here. [Wave]

#317382 - 16/12/03 08:38 AM Re: tools
Excelagator Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
Those lists are all XBOX Huge!!! Why do you need all of those items for everyday driving?!? I understand for 4x4, but for everyday driving? eek

WOW.

My list consists of -

-Flashlight
-Extra Batteries
-First Aid Kit(duh)
-Shackles
-2 tow straps
-Tow chain
-Jumper Cables(and they have already been used this winter)
-Bungees
-Power inverter
-2 5,000 lb Ratchet straps
-Trailer hitch
-Extra Blanket
-2 Gerber pocket tools
-Single blade lockblade
-and I keep my Nextel on me at all time.

I have not gone on expiditions.....YET.....but when I do, I'm sure the list will grow to be much like most of the lists posted here. [Wave]
Yes, it is all of tools. towing, wrenching, and boating it pays off not having to borrow or buy a tool where you need one.
Dan

#317383 - 16/12/03 10:02 AM Re: tools
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just a few quick notes about the hi-lift. First, it's the handiest tool next to my shovel, axe, and machette. My shovel has a narrow flat head with a fiberglass handle. I drilled a hole in the center of it and carry a 1/2" nut and bolt. I use them as a jack plate for the hi-lift when I'm jacking in loose soil. Otherwise the 4 foot hi-lift turns into a 2 foot fence post. As mentioned above. The beak of the hi-lift needs something to jack on. There aren't any points around the x-terra that are useful for jacking, as the bumpers are tonka tough. The trailer hitch works, and so do some serious sliders (next mod). The one thing that the hi-lift allows you to do is purchase a 7,000 pound winch for around $40. It works as a great arm building machine when used as a winch. But it's not like you've got anything else to do when you're stuck. One thing to remember about winching with the hi-lift.....Don't use nylon straps! They stretch. So all of your efforts in winching get you no where when you jack for four feet with three feet of your energy going to stretch the strap. Use chain. If you stretch the chains with the hi-lift, you should have just lifted the X out with one hand.

#317384 - 16/12/03 11:54 AM Re: tools
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Most of this stuff stays in the truck unless I need something around the house. When offroading a cooler also gets strapped down in back. From nose to tail.

Calmini bumper with Warn XD900i winch. Shackles in the tow points.
Garmin eTrex Vista mounted on the steering column
Radio shack CB mounted in the dash

Leather work gloves in the drivers side door pocket.

In the center console:
Sony DSC-F505V digital camera
Cell phone charger
Radio Shack FRS

Toolbag in backseat drivers side floorboard clipped to leg of front seat containing:
Wrench and sockets for every bolt on the truck
Various screwdrivers
A couple crescent wrenches
Channel lock pliers
Needle nose pliers
Allen head key set
Torx head bits and sockets
Drill bits
Snap-on Screw extractor kit $70 but worth every penny
Wire stripper
Wire crimp tool
Assortment of electrical connectors and fuses
Multimeter
Xacto knife and spare blades
Front hub locknut socket

Winch remote stuffed in the back pocket on the passenger seat.

In the floor behind the passenger seat:
Lapop with 2002 ESM loaded on it
Inverter plugged into back seat power point

Stuffed between the backseat and the Big Box:
spare torsion bars
10'x10' tarp

In the Raingler interior net:
Rainsuit
Fleece
Windbreaker
A couple ball caps
Sunscreen
Beach towel (never go anywhere without a towel)
30' tow strap
10' tree saver
Powertank hose and tire chuck
Roll of toilet paper in a dry bag
Roll of paper towels on a bungee between 2 of the roof hooks

Big Box in the cargo area with:
1/2" impact wrench
Socket set for impact wrench
1/2" torque wrench
Makita drill and charger
Makita flashlight uses same battery as drill
Spool of wire
Bearing packer with grease
Miscellaneous shackles
Snatch block
Tire repair kit
Duct Tape and electrical tape
Hand ax
Bow saw
Miscellaneous bungee cords

No point in taking tools unless you have the parts. Almost all of this stuff I've broken on the trail and most of it I changed on the trail at least once. Spares in the big box:
spare upper ball joints for Calmini arms
spare lower control arms (for ball joints)
spare half-shaft
spare Warn hubs
spare hub
spare front grease seals
spare tie-rod assembly
spare belts and hoses (haven't needed yet)
spare alternator
spare motor mount
spare tie-rod end for Calmini centerlink (haven't needed yet)

In the rear pockets just inside the hatch:
A couple trash bags
Spare bolts for warn hubs
A couple ratcheting tie downs

Bolted to the rear cargo tie downs:
Hi-lift
Shovel strapped to hi-lift

Bolted through the floor:
10lb Powertank
Halon fire extinguisher bolted to Powertank bracket

One thing to keep in mind, is that in a rollover anything not tied down can become a projectile. I don't know how many people I've seen that just pile stuff in and it goes flying around the truck offroad. The only stuff I have that isn't real secure is the stuff in the Raingler net. Stuff there tends to slide out, but it's all soft stuff and won't hurt when it hits me in the back of the head.

#317385 - 16/12/03 06:50 PM Re: tools
maximusdelirious Offline

Loc: Lake Mills, WI
I forgot about the obvious GPS, Tow Hitch Clevis Attachement, work gloves(leather are best) and cell phone. Yes I take all that just for a day trip. it has all paid off. The pullable box holds most things.

Splashman, [ThumbsUp] very good point expect mud even if it looks dry. mud mud mud. take extra clothes and garbage bags in the field are as useful as duct tape is at home. IF you get stuck it will more than likely be mud. Also assume that IF you get stuck it may be an over night.

(remeber the picture of the bronco stuck and the front loader pulling it out?)

TalathDirnen, [ThumbsUp] good point about winching. The X is one heavy bitch, especially if you high center it. I got sick of hand winching multiple times to get it free just a little. we found that chains are just the thing. No give, it's a flat steady pull. They are very heavy and if they break do not become a missle. There is one 4x4 club and a 4x4 area that only allow straps, no chains, but they don't say why.

I just don't trust the straps. We have broken several at the ends and the stretch is sometimes a lot. I haven't tried and cannot vouche for wire cable. 3/8" chain is very hard to break if you ar winching correctly. The guy at farm and fleet says his buddy uses 3/8" zinc coated to recover stuck dump trucks and big rigs, no I did not buy the chains there, just a good old boy disscusion, already had the chains.

Aero Steve, [ThumbsUp] also good point about flying objects and placing things where they will be best used. A shovel doesn't work if it's burried under all your gear and your tail end is sitting in a mud lake.

Also, on the trail your spare does no good under your truck, IF you can stow it up above, you save yourself from sittingon it.

#317386 - 17/12/03 08:45 AM Re: tools
Excelagator Offline

I agree about using chains for winching. But if you are pulling someone out (the easiest way if you have another truck) use a strap. A chain can slip off fly through a windsheild. Once a strap is tight pulling someone it is not going anywhere. That is why I opened Boomhouer's hood in Hayward last year

#317387 - 17/12/03 09:49 AM Re: tools
pinoy Offline

Loc: TinleyPark, IL.
You guys forgot to throw in the kitchen sink laugh

On a serious note: There are some great tips everybody mentioned, you can never bring enough. It's always better to have the equipment and not use it than not have it and find out you need it.

#317388 - 18/12/03 09:49 AM Re: tools
SplashMan Offline

Loc: IL
As crazy as it sounds, I usually carry about half of the stuff I listed everyday. Even if I go to a run as a passenger, I always bring my trail gear. I can't count the times I have loned out tools and even a couple parts. "Be prepared." [ThumbsUp]

#317389 - 19/12/03 08:55 AM Re: tools
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got interested in 3/8" cable for pulling. There are tons of cable fixtures and the splicing typically slips before the cable breaks. Gives you a little warning. The weakest 3/8" cable I could find had a break strength of 10,498#. The strongest I found had a break strength of 18,000#. They cost, per foot, $1.55 and $1.37 respectively (yeah, the stronger one is 302 stainless and costs less...go figure). Contrastingly, chain of this strength is 1/2" grade 100 to 5/8" grade 80. It costs $6.60/foot and 11.84/foot respectively. Now consider that a 20 foot length of the 5/8" weighs 75 pounds. I think cable is a good low stretch alternative to nylon. It costs less, weighs less, and is stronger than chain. To keep it from being a 20' steel bullwhip if it breaks I've heard of people tying split bike inner tubes along the cable; in a fashion similar to bow string silencers. I've only seen one cable break, and I'm glad no one was in its path. We were sailing, and it was the mainstay cable that holds the mast up. I remember when it broke it sounded like one of the blaster cannons from Star Wars.

Moderator:  Mapman 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal