shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#318874 - 23/04/08 10:56 AM Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looking for trails to run with our work group of 4x4 enthusiasts and Reno Pass was mentioned. Looks to be out on Hwy87 beyond Sunflower.

Anyone every run this trail?

#318875 - 23/04/08 10:58 AM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought it to be closed?

#318876 - 23/04/08 11:32 AM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Accasbel Offline

Loc: Chanhassen, MN USA
Been there twice: 1st was part way to rescue Jay's truck; 2nd time was during a wonderful rainstorm that brought on torrents, and mud mud and more mud. Both times was on a SWANKy run.

Fun trail.

Ask up on the SWANKy/Nissan4Wheelers forums.

#318877 - 23/04/08 01:16 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it doable in a non-locked 4Runner? laugh

#318878 - 23/04/08 01:38 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess it's closed and/or washed out frown

#318879 - 23/04/08 01:50 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I called Mesa Ranger Station (480) 610-3300 and they said it is still closed. No tentative date of opening it yet.

#318880 - 23/04/08 04:12 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool - thanks for letting me know.

Looks like we may now run New River Canyon - up off of Table Mesa road and over to Cake Creek area. Not familiar with either myself!

#318881 - 23/04/08 05:04 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rinky I have run Table Mesa and it was a lot of fun and pretty easy. It does end up in Seven springs then you go through Camp Creek then Carefree and finally into Cave Creek. If you end up in Cave Creek go to HAROLD'S great food fun place. I am pretty sure table mesa road and New River Canyon are the same trail. There sometimes is a couple of river crossings well maybe more like creeks that can get to like 3' deep but I am pretty sure you wont run into those I saw 3' after a couple days of rain. (That was fun on a Dirt bike water up to the seat). Table mesa can be washed out and the creek crossings can be a little bumpy but nothing major.

#318882 - 23/04/08 05:23 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You'll need a State Land Permit to run Table Mesa road east of I-17 (FR41). This trail is relatively easy - just a few possible wash out spots. You shouldn't need a locker. I agree with slmh1296, the washes can be much more difficult after a rainstorm.

#318883 - 23/04/08 06:00 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by slmh1296:
Rinky I have run Table Mesa and it was a lot of fun and pretty easy. It does end up in Seven springs then you go through Camp Creek then Carefree and finally into Cave Creek. If you end up in Cave Creek go to HAROLD'S great food fun place. I am pretty sure table mesa road and New River Canyon are the same trail. There sometimes is a couple of river crossings well maybe more like creeks that can get to like 3' deep but I am pretty sure you wont run into those I saw 3' after a couple days of rain. (That was fun on a Dirt bike water up to the seat). Table mesa can be washed out and the creek crossings can be a little bumpy but nothing major.
I was just at Harolds on Friday Night. My father in laws band plays there regularly 'Side Winder' www.swband.net

Awesome food and atmosphere at that place. Like the fact it's child friendly too for the littleun.

#318884 - 23/04/08 06:23 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
It does end up in Seven springs then you go through Camp Creek then Carefree and finally into Cave Creek.
Is that open now? It was all closed off from the CCC fire a few years back.. If you're in contact w/ Forest servivce, please find out about FR 532 and 42 also. It'd be great to start organizing club cleanups out there again too.
tia

#318885 - 23/04/08 07:36 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

FR 42 and Indian Spring Wash still closed..the road N past Seven Springs has been open ever since right after the fire,but a lot of the scenery is long gone.

#318886 - 23/04/08 07:54 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are there any trails actually open? lol

Well we decided on a date anyway, just not a trail yet.

#318887 - 23/04/08 11:09 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Is that open now? It was all closed off from the CCC fire a few years back.. If you're in contact w/ Forest service, please find out about FR 532 and 42 also. It'd be great to start organizing club cleanups out there again too.
tia
Well, I ran FR41 (Table Mesa east of I-17) to FR24 (Camp Creek area) last fall. I also ran FR24 from the start all the way to Bloody Basin road (FR269) and then out to I-17 this spring. Not sure about any of the side roads though.

On Sunday, April 27th, the OHV Ambassadors (the organization that I volunteer for) is doing a meet and greet at the Camp Creek Wash. We'll be out there in the morning starting at 08:00. For the first few hours, we will be passing out information to OHV enthusiasts, and then we will run some of the trails.

I can ask Kelly Jardine (he is one of the Forest Service Rangers) about the two trails you mentioned. He is definitely open to the idea of anyone wanting to help out with cleanup projects. There are also some work days in the area from time to time (fence repair, installing signs, etc.).

#318888 - 24/04/08 09:19 AM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I ran table mesa about 2 months ago starting at the Cave Creek side. On the national forest web site they said it was closed but I had the day off, kids were out of school. My wife works in CC so I said screw it drop off the wife and go see how far I can go if it is closed turn around and go play on some other trails or FR. Well I went all the way to I-17.
I stopped for lunch about half way by the old post office (i think that is what it was,it is old late 1800's)and two rangers stopped said Hi asked how far we were going? where we started? they asked me how the trail was any bad spots. I asked them about the closure I saw on the web. They told me that the web site is not updated frequently some parts are some are not they kind of laugh they said we were fine they had closed area's due to rain and the fire damage they were worried about mud and rock slides and then they had to move on and said to have a great day.
Rinky that is funny about Harold's and I agree it is a great place fun and it is a bonus it is kid friendly. That is cool your father in law jams in a band. Have you heard the other band that plays there on Wednesday night Easton Ashe they are great?.
As I stated earlier my wife manages a store in frontier town were the Satisfied Frog is. Since my X has been in the shop I had been running her to work the last two mondays and we have been having Dinner out there. We were at Big Earls amazing burgers you should try them their blue cheese burger is awesome anyways the band Easton Ashe was doing a photo shoot there at Big Earls nice guys check them out on my space they are really good.
Looks like Az-ted has a good line for info out there in that area. there is so many trails out there you should be able to find something. The Great Western trail is fun too.
Great Western Trail

#318889 - 24/04/08 11:07 AM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like we are either doing Table Mesa to Cave Creek or back road to Crown King.

Never run Crown King and always hear good things about it, so that's my vote. But waiting to see what the other guys want to do.

I'll post details once they are finalized as it's a pretty much open invite kinda run with our little group. Looking at May 17th or 18th tho for the date.

#318890 - 24/04/08 01:09 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, our official Xcursion is May 17th - the night run at Broken Arrow near Sedona. It is possible to do either of Roger's runs and the Broken Arrow run...

#318891 - 24/04/08 01:44 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Reno is open on the Punkin Center side, but closed on the Bushnell tanks side at Sunflower - I have no idea why. If you run it, you have to turn around and come back out the same way.

There is Religious rock. SWANKy volunteered a couple weekends with the USFS on that trail a few years back to fix the trail at a particularly dangerous spot where the trail is very narrow, leans to the downhill side, and has about 250 feet to the bottom. Someone was just killed up there about 3 weeks ago, and we think it's on that spot....each year erosion fills it back in.

I haven't been up there since 3/2005 or so. The 4 peaks complex fire in 2006 went through part of the west side of the area where FR524 comes out and it's been closed ever since at the Bushnell turnoff.

#318892 - 24/04/08 01:50 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's a pic of that spot. All the crap on the bottom edge of the trail is stuff we put there to help stop the erosion. It's a long ways down from there. The big rock on the right is what forces you out toward the edge.

If the trail hasn't changed much, a stock 4 runner could probably do it with perhaps some difficulty. There's a pretty good rock crawl up the hill from this spot that you'll need to keep a little momentum through.

If you do decide to do this sometime, take picks and shovels just to be safe and at least dig a tire rut on the uphill side of this thing to keep from sliding off. It's all decomposing granite and it crumbles away under your feet.

#318893 - 24/04/08 02:36 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I changed the filename of the pic to look at the other pics - Looks like an awesome trail. Shame it's closed. frown

#318894 - 24/04/08 08:32 PM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well we decided on the Back Road to Crown King. Our Jeeper in the group is scared he'll fall asleep on the New River Canyon Trail.
[img]http://www.rholgate.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5437&g2_serialNumber=2[/img]

He's the only one of our group who made it to Martinez Mine over the rock slope just before it.

#318895 - 08/05/08 08:05 AM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Someone on the JVC board said they ran Reno Pass last weekend, so I wonder if maybe it is now open!

#318896 - 08/05/08 08:18 AM Re: Reno Pass - anyone ever run it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like I said before, it wasn't really closed. The gate is closed on the SR87 side, but not on the Punkin Center side...if you ran it, you'd have to come back out the way you went in.

The Bushnell tanks gate was still closed when I drove by it this past weekend, and has been for a couple years now. I've even asked at the USFS and no one will really say why. The fire was 3 years ago for crying out loud....

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal