shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#319877 - 22/01/07 06:06 PM Xcursion this Saturday?
NOSUP4U Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I'm getting emails asking if there is an Xcursion this Saturday so I just wanted to get a thread up. Is there one? If so what?

Mark

#319878 - 23/01/07 08:00 AM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for posting this up Mark!

Where we going and who's going????

Terra's got Pnemonia so I don't think she'll be going along, but I have to get out, even if it's only to Table Mesa Rd!

Any input? I should get something on the Webpage if at possible today or tomorrow at the latest.

Thanks!

#319879 - 23/01/07 08:11 AM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am going. Just need to know where...here are some suggestions FWIW:

Edward's Park trail? May have some snow, which is fun.

Box Canyon?

Table Mesa?

Vulture Mine from/to Wickenburg? Pretty easy, but scenic.

#319880 - 23/01/07 08:23 AM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Haven't done Edwards before (never heard of it), but as I said I'm up for anything if I can get back at a decent time.

Attendee's:
T-Ray
Conundrum
Vic
PHXX
Pluvo
???

ETA - I have heard of that one before, I read the writeup that Tim posted quite a while back.

Looks a bit challenging, especially if there is snow! laugh

#319881 - 23/01/07 09:36 AM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Edward's Park is in the 'big book' of trails.

Vulture Mine is 2wd friendly with some side roads that are more of a challenege. Probably not the best to test your new stuff, Adam.

How long does Smiley Rock take? I know that was thrown out there a while back as a possiblity...

Payette would be a good test for ya, Adam. Esp. since you ran it once unlifted and no armor.

My vote would be for Edwards Park or Payette.

#319882 - 23/01/07 09:50 AM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rain forecast for Sat / Sun again - might want to keep that in mind whatever you guys decide on.

#319883 - 23/01/07 09:54 AM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bring it on, a little mud makes life sweet!

The report said clear a sunny throught the weekend. Mid 60's in the valley.

Payson shows 55 this weekend and sunny.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/tenday/031204:13

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/tenday/AZFPWA:13

#319884 - 23/01/07 12:02 PM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Ray:
Edward's Park is in the 'big book' of trails.

Vulture Mine is 2wd friendly with some side roads that are more of a challenege. Probably not the best to test your new stuff, Adam.

How long does Smiley Rock take? I know that was thrown out there a while back as a possiblity...

Payette would be a good test for ya, Adam. Esp. since you ran it once unlifted and no armor.

My vote would be for Edwards Park or Payette.
Payette wouldn't be good for everyone else though, and it is quite a drive if you break something. The writeup on the Edwards Park Trail sounds pretty good so I also put my [ThumbsUp] for it.

Quote:

Edwards Park Trail

Special Attractions:
Very Scenic ridgeline trail with excellent primitive camping spots.
Remains of the El Oso and Jolene Mines
Optional 7-Rated Detour

Description:
Scenic Edwards Park Trail (FR 422) Follows the Mazatzal Divide, the ridgeline that runs north of Four Peaks to Edwards Park - a distance of just over 10 Miles. There are, however a few good turnaround points. This trail is rated as a 6, mostly because of a few steep rocky sections. On the north end of the trail there are areas with close brush. As the trail follows the ridgeline, it offers expansive views to the east over the Tonto Basin and Roosevelt Lake, to the west into the Valley, to the south to the Superstition Mountains, and to the north toward Mount Ord and the Mogollon Rim. Along the way there is an optional detour past the remains of the El Oso Mine and the Jolene Mine, but this detour is 7-rated and should be treated with caution. A field of large sharp-edged rocks must be negotiated while making a sharp right turn. A spotter is recommended, as well as skid plates. These trails are entirely above 5,000 Feet, affording some relief from Summer Heat.
An so it goes on. Sounds like fun!

#319885 - 23/01/07 01:45 PM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Conumdrum
T-Ray
Vic

Any other takers???

Edward's Park Xcursion going once...

Found this link with some pics:
http://www.expeditionswest.com/adventures/2004/el_oso/index.html

#319886 - 23/01/07 02:53 PM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

YUP! Edwards Park Trial!! WOOHOO! I've had this one on my list for awhile now.. I drove alittle bit of this trail last time i was up there, but then it got dark. But yeah, lets get down and dirty with it. We'll more than likely run into snow up there as well.

#319887 - 23/01/07 02:55 PM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm in. It'll be a good chance to test my armor.

Sorry to hear about Terra, I hope she's well enough to go. I'll have my copilot along.

#319888 - 23/01/07 03:10 PM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

#319889 - 23/01/07 03:16 PM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom,

Do you have offroad tires?

#319890 - 23/01/07 03:16 PM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good find, Presto. Let's have a great drive up and do some lunch at the top.

I wanna park on the boulder like that cherokee.

#319891 - 23/01/07 05:33 PM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yessir Presto, Big Foot A/Ts.

I'm with you Tim, I want some good poser shots to show off my flex. laugh

#319892 - 23/01/07 06:28 PM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've ran Edwards Park before, its a really scenic trail up by Four Peaks. I might be up for this.

#319893 - 23/01/07 10:24 PM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I got home, I looked Edward's Park up in the big book. It's not even listed the the little book.

I assume we're going to take the alternate route (FR463) to the mines on the way in. They warn of tight undergrowth so I'll bring my clippers & saw just in case. That grassy area looks perfect for lunch.

The book says 4-6 hours. I'd like to get started early enough to take plenty of pics.

Since we're coming from different parts of town, I'd suggest meeting at Shea & Hwy 87. I'm not familiar with the area, but there has to be a gas station or fast food joint there.

#319894 - 24/01/07 06:05 AM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think there is a gas station on the South / East side of McDowell / 87 as you are heading north. Couple of miles further north than Shea / 87.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=33.580142,-111.679308&spn=0.006588,0.010042&t=h&om=1

#319895 - 24/01/07 06:58 AM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is a McDonald's on the North side of Shea maybe 1 mile from the 87. There is also a couple gas stations there as well, I just do not know the names.

The Conoco on Ft. Mcdowell/87 is a good spot to meet as well:

Take I17 to the 101 - take the 101 East to Shea Blvd in Scottsdale. Go left on Shea Blvd (continueing East). Go about 12 miles through Fountain Hills until it ends at State Rt 87. Turn left on 87 and go to the next stop light and take a right. The gas station is right there.

Either way lets meet early so we can have a great day and get home at a decent hour. Say 8:30am???

#319896 - 24/01/07 11:31 AM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would love to actually make it out to an xcursion for a change.I have been lerking around the boards for a while but seem to always be out of town when you guys meet up. I think this trail looks like a lot of fun; however I am concerned with the severe undergrowth mentioned. I wheel my truck but don't like to trim trees and bushes with my paint.
I run an 06 4x4 with 2/12 inch lift. Seems more than adequate to run this trail. anyone think otherwise?

#319897 - 24/01/07 01:02 PM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You will be fine. As for the brush, I beleive there is only severe brush on the harder 'option' of the trail. If not we will all hold the brush back so you can make it through.

Silver doesn't show stripes very well anyway...trust me, I know from expereience. smile

Hope to see ya out with us.

#319898 - 24/01/07 10:01 PM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like about 37 Miles for me taking 17 South to I-10 to 202 to the 87, past Shea to the Gas staion. Google says about 45 Min, but I don't think it will take that long in the morning.

I posted this location on the Website as well as the 8:30 Meetup time. I would like to be back by 2-3 or so.

Lets Wheel!

BTW - Attendees confirmed:
T-Ray
Conundrum
Pluvo
PHXX
Killing4aliving
Joe Johnson
Vic
???

#319899 - 25/01/07 01:05 AM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ohhh Dannnnn... .where aaarreee you....??? laugh

#319900 - 25/01/07 06:01 AM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by PHXX:
Ohhh Dannnnn... .where aaarreee you....??? laugh
Already talked with him, he's doing Baby stuff this weekend. laugh Add to that he still hasn't got his sliders installed.

#319901 - 26/01/07 11:15 AM Re: Xcursion this Saturday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I was gonna try and make it - but just got told I'm working tomorrow so we can get a big deployment out on Monday and give it a chance to settle before our big day next Sunday - When I will also be working. Be happy with the Superbowl is over smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal